Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

How is the Sony 16-35/4 PZ for stills photography?

Dave Sanders
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · How is the Sony 16-35/4 PZ for stills photography?

Blueshound wrote:
I agree with everything you've said. Since I don't have much need for events or action, I'd be a sure customer for, say, a 24-70/4 designed in the same way as the PZ 16-35/4. PZ to save size and weight, and with the optical quality, relative consistency across the focal range and the same sharpness performance.

I find that using the zoom ring is OK, quick enough, and since I compose in the EVF, I can see the focal length in the display. Composition would come first, though, over knowing the focal length.

Brian

I think I might be a customer for your (imagined) 24-70/4 PZ as well. I'm slowly coming to terms with my zoom/primes usage and I'm definitely falling into the traditional category of fast primes/slow zooms.

Sep 12, 2022 at 04:43 PM
Blueshound
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · How is the Sony 16-35/4 PZ for stills photography?

I've posted the image below somewhere else on FM, not sure where. Nonetheless, it pertains here.

This was shot shortly after I got my PZ 16-35, in a walk-about in Victoria. It's the main reception of the Fairmont Empress hotel, taken from the 2nd floor mezzanine, and hand held.

If you choose to follow the Flickr link, you can view the full res of 9504px wide, and at actual sharpness.

The image is edited, not out of camera.

Brian

Fairmont Empress Lobby PZ 16-35 f4_9604px by Brian Gammon, on Flickr

Sep 15, 2022 at 11:13 AM
nicephore
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · How is the Sony 16-35/4 PZ for stills photography?

OpticaLimits review is out and verdict is "Highly Recommended" (not a surprise for me, considering the great user feedbacks and existing reviews -> comparison wiith the GM) :
https://www.opticallimits.com/sonyalphaff/1148-sony1635f4g

Sep 22, 2022 at 12:38 PM
Dave Sanders
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · How is the Sony 16-35/4 PZ for stills photography?

nicephore wrote:
OpticaLimits review is out and verdict is "Highly Recommended" (not a surprise for me, considering the great user feedbacks and existing reviews -> comparison wiith the GM) :

Interesting...this test shows the lens more or less peaking wide open, across the frame; 35mm looks to be the lone exception. Very solid performance.

Sep 22, 2022 at 01:40 PM
darrellc
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · How is the Sony 16-35/4 PZ for stills photography?

nicephore wrote:

I saw that. They are pretty stingy with highly recommended and rarely give that to zooms.

I gave up on wide angle zooms and went with the 20/1.8G. The size and image quality of this zoom is appealing, but Iíve found f/1.8 surprisingly useful so might be hard to go back to f4.

Sep 22, 2022 at 02:00 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · How is the Sony 16-35/4 PZ for stills photography?

I admit Iím a lens snob and I actually shot grip and grin stuff the other night with on camera flash at about f6.3 and 5.6 and it did a damn good job. I would normally have a 2.8 something but this lens keeps impressing me.
My 35 focal length seems good. Maybe I have a better copy

Sep 22, 2022 at 07:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hasenbein
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · How is the Sony 16-35/4 PZ for stills photography?

On my copy, 35mm is great as well. That is in line with most reviews who say that the long end is the even stronger end.

Sep 22, 2022 at 11:39 PM
amv8
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · How is the Sony 16-35/4 PZ for stills photography?

It looks like quite a number of folks on the forum have purchased the 16-35 PZ. Any feedback on sample variation? I'm considering purchasing one, but have been a bit frustrated with a couple of recent purchases of Sony GM lenses. I purchased a 35mm GM a few months back; it just sucked optically (really decentered). I sent it back for another copy which was excellent. I just got a 14mm GM which was decentered (haven't received another copy yet) and also had more coma than I would have expected towards the corners although maybe that's typical for this lens. I realize the PZ isn't even a "GM" lens, but I feel I've had to too much QA for Sony with my recent purchases so was just curious what people have found regarding copy variation.

Sep 29, 2022 at 03:55 PM
Blueshound
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · How is the Sony 16-35/4 PZ for stills photography?

I haven't had much if any trouble with purchasing new copies of Sony lenses since 2015 or so when I started with the A7R. I'm conscious of the possibility, and I test every new lens per Fred's methodology.

I purchased the first new and locally available sample of the PZ 16-35 that I could find, tested it before all else, and found it to be quite excellent. (I would have ordered one if necessary, I just lucked out with a local dealer.)

I'm very happy with the lens, it's specific design balances and priorities, and the sample that I have. And I don't see any particular weakness at 35mm. I will continue to post images on the other thread, at least anytime I have a shot that I don't think is embarrassing!

I would say just purchase from a merchant who will allow you to return or exchange it in the event of a bad copy. This isn't a Sony thing, it's just a thing.

Brian

Sep 29, 2022 at 04:18 PM
hasenbein
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · How is the Sony 16-35/4 PZ for stills photography?

My first copy had lens tilt. My 2nd copy is just fine. Unfortunately I had several lenses where the first copy (bought new, not used) was misaligned. Seems to be the "normal procedure" one must go through today...

Interestingly old manual Minolta lenses are the only ones where I never had any significant decentering/tilt problems.

IMPORTANT: As Roger Cicala has pointed out, you can never expect perfection regarding alignment in zoom lenses! There will always be little deviations somewhere in the zoom range. A little bit of tilt at certain FLs one has to accept, as long as it's not decentering.

Sep 29, 2022 at 10:40 PM
Fboss
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · How is the Sony 16-35/4 PZ for stills photography?

hasenbein wrote:
My first copy had lens tilt. My 2nd copy is just fine. Unfortunately I had several lenses where the first copy (bought new, not used) was misaligned. Seems to be the "normal procedure" one must go through today...

How do you detect a lens tilt ?
My copy of the 24-70 GMII was not as sharp on the right, at FL > ~60mm (any aperture). But when I focused on the right side, it was very sharp and the rest (center, left) wasn't as sharp. As if there was a strong field curvature that affected the right side only. I returned it. Does it mean it was tilt or decentered , or other ?

Sep 30, 2022 at 09:28 AM
amv8
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · How is the Sony 16-35/4 PZ for stills photography?

Fboss wrote:
How do you detect a lens tilt ?
My copy of the 24-70 GMII was not as sharp on the right, at FL > ~60mm (any aperture). But when I focused on the right side, it was very sharp and the rest (center, left) wasn't as sharp. As if there was a strong field curvature that affected the right side only. I returned it. Does it mean it was tilt or decentered , or other ?

For tilt/centering, I also use Fred Miranda's test procedure, see https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1534737/0

However, the amount of field curvature a lens exhibits (lens not exhibiting a flat field) is also important to understand. The way I've tested for field curvature is that I have patio at my house built with stones/bricks. I focus on an object in the middle of the patio and then look how the plane of sharp focus varies across the patio. Is it straight, somewhat curved at the edges, etc.? I do this across my shooting apertures.

Sep 30, 2022 at 02:25 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password