New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Help - Profoto A10 on Csnon R3

Reza Maziat

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help - Profoto A10 on Csnon R3

Hi, I have just purchased the A10 off camera kit for my canon R3. When I use the flash on the camera itself the TTL works flawlessly to set the correct exposure either in AV mode or in M exposure mode. However, with the profoto air Connect transmitter on the hot shoe and set to Auto, the off camera flash severely underexposes the scene in any exposure mode and/or flash setting even if the flash is roughly in the same location in relation to the scene as when it is attached to the camera. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Sep 03, 2022 at 12:33 AM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help - Profoto A10 on Csnon R3

Do you have the new Connect Pro? Do you have the remote set to mode 1 or mode 2 and what Group do you have your A10 set for? TTL is only available in A, B or C groups? Other groups are manual only.

Edit - I forgot that there are two different modes for the new remote. Mode 1 is for the older Air strobes and Mode 2 is what you want for the newer strobes like the A10. I'm also assuming that your shutter speed is at sync speed or slower. If you're in HSS, the output of the A10 will be less.

Sep 03, 2022 at 08:05 AM
Reza Maziat

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help - Profoto A10 on Csnon R3

Thank you for you response. I have the Connect remote - here’s a link - https://aj-s.co.uk/products/profoto-connect-for-canon?variant=38038938615988¤cy=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwbjis5_5-QIVh7HtCh3jEAVZEAQYASABEgLTcfD_BwE

I am using Group A, channel 1. Of course I can use the flash in manual mode and that works well. But I don’t understand why the camera meters differently when the flash is off the camera even when I hold the flash roughly in the same position as it would be when attached to the camera. The under exposure happens when I have a distinct subject in the foreground that is much closer to the camera than the background. Otherwise, with the flash off camera and with no foreground subject, the exposure seems fine. In my view the metering should not be different between on and off camera situations if the flash position is roughly positioned in the same location relative to the camera.

story_teller wrote:
Do you have the new Connect Pro? Do you have the remote set to mode 1 or mode 2 and what Group do you have your A10 set for? TTL is only available in A, B or C groups? Other groups are manual only.

Edit - I forgot that there are two different modes for the new remote. Mode 1 is for the older Air strobes and Mode 2 is what you want for the newer strobes like the A10. I'm also assuming that your shutter speed is at sync speed or slower. If you're in HSS, the output of
...Show more

Sep 03, 2022 at 01:37 PM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help - Profoto A10 on Csnon R3

If you're holding the flash in your hand, there's a good possibility that your fingers are covering the sensor on the flash. I did that a few times early on. On the battery side of the A10 there is a sensor. Make sure that side is pointed to the subject and it is not blocked by your fingers. Try that.

Sep 04, 2022 at 07:08 AM
Reza Maziat

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help - Profoto A10 on Csnon R3

Thank you for your suggestion. I have tried it without blocking the sensor and still have the problem.

story_teller wrote:
If you're holding the flash in your hand, there's a good possibility that your fingers are covering the sensor on the flash. I did that a few times early on. On the battery side of the A10 there is a sensor. Make sure that side is pointed to the subject and it is not blocked by your fingers. Try that.

Sep 06, 2022 at 12:54 PM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help - Profoto A10 on Csnon R3

It really doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong. Is your Connect model a Connect-C? Just trying to cover the basics. The A10 is obviously a Canon version because it works. There could also be a loose or faulty connection between the transmitter and the hot shoe or some issue with the transmitter.

At this point I'd put in a call to Profoto.

Sep 06, 2022 at 01:19 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.