New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Proof of concept for my photobook

Adrian_loves cameras

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Proof of concept for my photobook

Mix of street photography and loosely staged photographs with random people I meet on the streets.

These three photos show potential for the concept. Time to massage it into shape!

“Movement”, a slow shutter speed assignment where I do street work, but longer exposure to capture peoples movements as they jump, walk, run etc.

In the first 2 photos I just told the people to jump around in front of the camera.

Printed and scanned.

Aug 30, 2022 at 03:10 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Proof of concept for my photobook

Welcome to FM and the PC Forum.

I personally like to embrace blur to convey motion for different things sometimes. Should be an interesting project to see what you come up with.

I think a key part of it will be that they show as intentional blur, rather than "lack of control / mistake" blur. As a group / project that "intent" likely comes through a bit better than a single image might. Curious to see how this develops / unfolds.

Aug 30, 2022 at 09:18 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Proof of concept for my photobook

I agree with Kent! The concept has promise and could be extremely interesting if you walk the line appropriately.

The first really works for me - the treatment, the mood and even the awkward crop.

The second is nearly there but IMO this one would shine if only the woman was in motion (and not the entire scene). Especially if you can use a strobe or something to really nail the "multiface" look during the twirl.

The third is a swing and a miss for me. I would probably leave that one on the editing room floor compared to the others.

I hope you continue to share these as you progress.

Jeff

Aug 31, 2022 at 08:54 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Proof of concept for my photobook

It seems that Adrian can't comment until they hit 25 posts.

Aug 31, 2022 at 02:48 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Proof of concept for my photobook

beavens wrote:
It seems that Adrian can't comment until they hit 25 posts.

Yes, he wrote that to me, as well. Not sure I follow I mean, he can post the OP, then why can't he post again in the same thread? Something new

Aug 31, 2022 at 07:59 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Proof of concept for my photobook

RustyBug wrote:
Yes, he wrote that to me, as well. Not sure I follow I mean, he can post the OP, then why can't he post again in the same thread? Something new

I think you're restricted where you can comment until you hit 25 posts. I'm not sure why the ability to create threads is also not restricted? Maybe for B&S folks?

Aug 31, 2022 at 08:23 PM
liftedspirit
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Proof of concept for my photobook

Check out Olga Karlovac as a street photographer that also embraces blur. (in black and white no less)

I love the concept, though I'd concentrate less on the term or genre of street photography and make it more about portraits of people you meet. Showing strictly movement of people in their environment would be far more interesting to me than typical, straight, street photography.

There is also a danger at the shutter speed(s) you're using that you generate images that could be deemed mistakes. There are shutter speeds where it's obvious you shot at long exposure for a reason, and then there are shutter speeds where it looks like you just "missed" the shutter speed or got more motion than you expected. I'd try to avoid that spot and you're dangerously close in some of these IMHO.

The first image, by the way...absolutely stunning.

Aug 31, 2022 at 09:17 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Proof of concept for my photobook

beavens wrote:
I think you're restricted where you can comment until you hit 25 posts. I'm not sure why the ability to create threads is also not restricted? Maybe for B&S folks?

Well, he better get busy click'n and post'n.

Aug 31, 2022 at 09:24 PM
jaggedhorizon
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Proof of concept for my photobook

I think it's great that you have a concept you want to aim for. It's often hard or very hard to focus on a particular concept, to develop a style etc...glad to see someone doing it.

Such photos do work much better as a series. I would say "be merciless with culling and selecting the best shots". They have to have something that comes out due to the blur, either an arresting pattern, or a cubist face (the second photo may qualify on both counts), or a strong mood, etc. For instance I would not include the third image, which doesn't say much.

Sep 01, 2022 at 05:16 PM
crow high
• •
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Proof of concept for my photobook

I don't like #1. I don't like #2. I don't like #3. I don't like the blur at all. There is no story here. I don't see it.

Why? How did you get the first woman on the beach? What's her story?

Second image. Why the blur? Is it meant to be scary? I'm freaked out. I feel like I'm watching a horror movie.

Third image. Your subjects are pretty kind towards you. But what is up with the blur? They're nice. But you appear creepy. I don't like it.

Sep 01, 2022 at 08:46 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Proof of concept for my photobook

crow high wrote:
I don't like #1. I don't like #2. I don't like #3. I don't like the blur at all. There is no story here. I don't see it.

Why? How did you get the first woman on the beach? What's her story?

Second image. Why the blur? Is it meant to be scary? I'm freaked out. I feel like I'm watching a horror movie.

Third image. Your subjects are pretty kind towards you. But what is up with the blur? They're nice. But you appear creepy. I don't like it.

Wow!!! You really know how to offer a critique! I especially like the tone of your critiques. You seem so sensitive of the words and language you use when critiquing photographs. It really improves the strong sense of community that makes photography such a group pursuit. Bravo!

Socrate

Sep 02, 2022 at 12:02 PM
Adrian_loves cameras

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Proof of concept for my photobook

I ’ed at crow high’s comments.

“You appear creepy”
You know what they say? The loudest critic is typically the person who can’t do it themselves.

I also enjoyed “there’s no story here”, strikes me as someone who won’t read what they’re signing up for, then complain when hit with the bill. Case in point, not reading my original entry at all to realize that these are initial photos and I have a year to go.

And the story is movement of people. I take it street photography isn’t exactly his forte since he seems to need a written thesis on every photograph.
What is the story of bressons work? What’s the story of gildens work?

Just say you’re petrified of photographing people, you don’t gotta go on an all out attack because you simply wish you could do something you can’t.

Sep 02, 2022 at 09:11 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Proof of concept for my photobook

I was doing some reading on High Speed Sync flash and one article made mention of Rear Curtain Sync flash. Way too funky for what I am trying to do (prep for macro and close-up photography in Costa Rica) but given you are looking at motion and blur, it may be something you want to research (if you are not already familiar with it) and experiment with.

https://www.photoworkout.com/flash-sync/

Good luck with your photo book project.

Don

Sep 02, 2022 at 10:38 PM
Adrian_loves cameras

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Proof of concept for my photobook

Thank you don! I’ll look into that!

Sep 02, 2022 at 11:03 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.