Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

end

Thinking of switching from Canon to Olympus?

tsunathanh
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Thinking of switching from Canon to Olympus?

Yes. An RP with a Laowa 85mm macro will be smaller than an Olympus setup. Get a small flash like the Godox TT350 or the Godox Lux Junior. I've found the little fold away/pop up diffusers work really very well and weigh nearly nothing (one brand is Angler on B&H). This will be very small and extremely capable.

AmbientMike wrote:
The RP is the most obvious solution. It's about as light as anything and actually lighter than the latest EM-1. Other light Canon options are M series, and I've been using a Rebel in recent years and really appreciate the light weight, especially on the SL2. The 60mm EF-s might be a bit lighter than the lens you are using. People say DSLR's are heavy but they're not.

A lot of your weight is coming from the flash and diffuser. Not sure how far you are going to get if you don't address that. Maybe a 270EX is lighter idk. White
...Show more

Oct 11, 2022 at 01:29 PM
lesliep

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Thinking of switching from Canon to Olympus?

This is awesome, I had no idea that lens was so tiny!
I already made the jump to Olympus, but only for macro so I've kept my Canon R5 and all non-macro lenses for wildlife (which is my main thing).
I wonder if it's worth getting this as a backup for when I go to the tropics, that I can put onto my Canon body in case anything happens to my olympus gear (fogging etc., I've heard so many nightmares of people not having backup and not being able to shoot because of water or fogging)?? My current cygnustech diffuser might even fit that setup ... Something to think about anyway, thank you!

Oct 15, 2022 at 10:34 AM
lesliep

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Thinking of switching from Canon to Olympus?

Yeah that 90mm could be interesting! I did make the jump to Olympus and the increased depth of field is pretty wild vs full frame so that 2x mag on top of it being 90mm, whoa!

There's supposedly a 95mm f3.5 2:1 coming soon

Oct 15, 2022 at 10:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lesliep

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Thinking of switching from Canon to Olympus?

So I did switch and the 60mm macro lens isn't just a little lighter, it's a microscopic baby version of a lens compared to the RF 100mm!! The bodies are not different enough to notice, but that was never the point, it was to accommodate a smaller overall setup. So with the 60mm lens and Godox v350o, I can actually do macro photography for a full day without getting wrist fatigue, it's epic! In fact I was so excited about it, I almost thought I could make the shift to Olympus for everything but once I tried the system out for wildlife I will definitely not be doing that. Nothing against Olympus, obviously I love it for macro, but there isn't anything about that system that I like as much as or better than Canon's so it's for sure a macro-only deal for the moment.

AmbientMike wrote:
The RP is the most obvious solution. It's about as light as anything and actually lighter than the latest EM-1. Other light Canon options are M series, and I've been using a Rebel in recent years and really appreciate the light weight, especially on the SL2. The 60mm EF-s might be a bit lighter than the lens you are using. People say DSLR's are heavy but they're not.

A lot of your weight is coming from the flash and diffuser. Not sure how far you are going to get if you don't address that. Maybe a 270EX is lighter idk. White
...Show more

Oct 15, 2022 at 10:43 AM
lesliep

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Thinking of switching from Canon to Olympus?

Yeah that 90mm could be interesting! I did make the jump to Olympus and the increased depth of field is pretty wild vs full frame so that 2x mag on top of it being 90mm, whoa!

hayath wrote:
There's supposedly a 95mm f3.5 2:1 coming soon

Oct 15, 2022 at 10:45 AM
tsunathanh
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Thinking of switching from Canon to Olympus?

This is why I can't justify going to Olympus for macro. I can bring my R5 + R7 (or R6) and have backup bodies in addition to backup lenses. Everything works together. Not working with two systems is worth a lot, especially when I'm going to the tropics.
With the 85 on my R7 I split the difference with depth of field and the whole setup is smaller or as small as the Olympus.

lesliep wrote:
This is awesome, I had no idea that lens was so tiny!
I already made the jump to Olympus, but only for macro so I've kept my Canon R5 and all non-macro lenses for wildlife (which is my main thing).
I wonder if it's worth getting this as a backup for when I go to the tropics, that I can put onto my Canon body in case anything happens to my olympus gear (fogging etc., I've heard so many nightmares of people not having backup and not being able to shoot because of water or fogging)?? My current cygnustech diffuser might
...Show more

Oct 16, 2022 at 12:57 PM
       end

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password