Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Thinking of switching from Canon to Olympus?

lesliep

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thinking of switching from Canon to Olympus?

Hi all

Iím running a Canon eos R + RF 100mm macro + Godox V860ii + Cygnustech diffuser for my macro work (mostly insects/spiders). I really like the setup except itís SO DAMNED HEAVY for using one handed, which is 90% of the time.

Iím seeing a lot of macro photographers using the Olympus system, specifically the EM-1 mark iii with the 60mm macro lens. Has anyone switched from a canon mirrorless setup to an Olympus one that has feedback on their changeover experience? Particularly when it comes to functionality of the buttons and the EVF (Iíve heard negative things about the quality of it)?

I have no intention of using the setup for anything other than macro and barely ever without flash, I already use an R5 and various longer lenses for wildlife so Iím good there.

Thanks in advance!

Aug 27, 2022 at 07:03 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thinking of switching from Canon to Olympus?

lesliep wrote:
Hi all

Iím running a Canon eos R + RF 100mm macro + Godox V860ii + Cygnustech diffuser for my macro work (mostly insects/spiders). I really like the setup except itís SO DAMNED HEAVY for using one handed, which is 90% of the time.

Iím seeing a lot of macro photographers using the Olympus system, specifically the EM-1 mark iii with the 60mm macro lens. Has anyone switched from a canon mirrorless setup to an Olympus one that has feedback on their changeover experience? Particularly when it comes to functionality of the buttons and the EVF (Iíve heard negative things about the
...Show more

My change for Canon to Olympus came in film days, when Olympus introduced through the lens, off the film, flash metering and have been with them ever since.

I have the original EM-1 and have seen no reason to update with a later model, especially for flash and macro. I have lots of legacy lens adapted to the m4/3 but my basic macro kit is the 4/3 50mm f2 macro, via an adapter, plus its matched x2 TC. For the higher magnifications I use a Laowa 25mm x2.5 to x5. For dragonflies, and the occasional bird or squirrel, I use the Panasonic 100 - 400mm Leica DG Vario-Elmar.

My flash is Olympus R-series, control RC by an FL-LM" on the hot shoe but with its light turned off, the pre-flash controlling other units.: FL-36R and/ or 2x FL-300R*s. The latter have a unique 45% tilt downwards, excellent for tint subjects. I mostly use the flash units free-standing on shoes. * Don't like rechargeables, voltage too low.

A hint: allocate focus peaking and DOF preview to individual buttons.

You can see my images from this setup posted most days, going back years.

Harold

Aug 28, 2022 at 12:38 AM
ThomasBarbin

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thinking of switching from Canon to Olympus?

I made the switch this summer coming from a 7D2 + Laowa 100mm + Raynox DCR-250. I picked up a used EM1 ii, the Laowa 50mm 2x lens and a Godox V350O.

The camera itself is excellent. My only viewfinder complaint is that it's a bit harder to precisely choose your background as it tends to brighten everything a bit. With an optical viewfinder it was a bit easier to pick out what part of the sky I would want in the background. Other than that the EVF has been great. I did use an EM5 ii briefly and was not a fan of that EVF. I found the frame rate too low for tracking things like jumping spiders.

My only big complaint with the setup is the lens availability. I really like have a 2x lens, but the only offering at the moment is the Laowa 50mm. 50mm is a bit too short when it comes to working distance for most things. You can make it work, but I find I am really missing the working distance of my 100mm. Fingers crossed something will be release around the 75ish to 100ish mm area soon.

Overall I am much preferring the camera over my Canon setup. I think you will really notice the increase in depth of field from Olympus' 2X crop factor. You will have the field of view of a lens set to 1X magnification when your lens is only at 0.5X magnification. So you're able to fill the frame with a subject at a lower magnification than you would with the Canon setup.

Sep 02, 2022 at 12:49 PM
mikeengles
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thinking of switching from Canon to Olympus?

I have to agree. Modern OM macro images seem to have the edge.
I was a life long user of OM cameras and macro lens only changing to Canon when they produced the 5D. I bought an adaptor and use it with my OM lenses, tubes and bellows on my R5

Sep 08, 2022 at 03:12 PM
tsunathanh
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Thinking of switching from Canon to Olympus?

You should try the Laowa 85mm 2x macro. This is smaller than the 60mm MFT lens they make. I use one on my R5 with a Godox 350. I started using this in favor of my RF100 and I love it.

lesliep wrote:
Hi all

Iím seeing a lot of macro photographers using the Olympus system, specifically the EM-1 mark iii with the 60mm macro lens. Has anyone switched from a canon mirrorless setup to an Olympus one that has feedback on their changeover experience? Particularly when it comes to functionality of the buttons and the EVF (Iíve heard negative things about the
...Show more

Sep 15, 2022 at 12:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lupin 3rd

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Thinking of switching from Canon to Olympus?

The new Olympus OM-1 (finally!!) has an updated OVF with 5.6Million dots per Olympus' website.

I've had the Olympus E-M1 mk1 and still have the mk2, and mk3. And they are some of my favorite cameras.

I don't know if Canon or others have this feature too, but the E-M1 will do in camera focus stacking after bracketing the shots. Compatible with the following lenses: website.

Sep 18, 2022 at 06:05 PM
hayath
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Thinking of switching from Canon to Olympus?

ThomasBarbin wrote:
I made the switch this summer coming from a 7D2 + Laowa 100mm + Raynox DCR-250. I picked up a used EM1 ii, the Laowa 50mm 2x lens and a Godox V350O.

The camera itself is excellent. My only viewfinder complaint is that it's a bit harder to precisely choose your background as it tends to brighten everything a bit. With an optical viewfinder it was a bit easier to pick out what part of the sky I would want in the background. Other than that the EVF has been great. I did use an EM5 ii briefly and was not
...Show more

There's supposedly a 95mm f3.5 2:1 coming soon

Sep 19, 2022 at 07:37 AM
hayath
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Thinking of switching from Canon to Olympus?

lesliep wrote:
Hi all

...Show more

You will definitely enjoy the lack of weight and how quick the AF can be (with some learning on how to train the focus on the new system).
Given you will be using flash exclusively, high ISO performance from the smaller sensor shouldn't be a concern.

I've moved from my heavy Canon 7d + Tamron 90mm setup to Olympus in 2018 and have thoroughly enjoyed this setup.

Sep 19, 2022 at 07:41 AM
muurman

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Thinking of switching from Canon to Olympus?

For macro Olympus is very good. But still i like the canon more so i came back to canon.

Sep 23, 2022 at 01:17 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Thinking of switching from Canon to Olympus?

muurman wrote:
For macro Olympus is very good. But still i like the canon more so i came back to canon.

I am mostly invested in Olympus EM-1, and suitable lenses and flash, for macro but needed a full frame for other photography, especially with wide angles, so I also have a Sony A7r3.

Harold

Sep 23, 2022 at 02:09 PM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password