Allergic

SteveSchulmanPhotography 2022

Fashionable

Aug 26, 2022 at 11:18 PM
crow high
• •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fashionable Soho

Wow. My first reaction was: What the frog! I've been lied too! ARggghhh!

Where's the beautiful women. Why are some of them wearing clothing you'd find in the early 1990's?
Why is this fashion when the Asian woman's dress stitching is falling apart. Visibly to the naked eye. No need to zoom in. And then I saw the fat woman's tattoo. And that she's wearing her skirt well above her waist. Like over her belly button. Few woman do that anymore here. They're usually 60 plus now. The rest of the women looked like they're stuck in the 90's and are still prostituting in some weird time loop.

But then it dawned on me what you might be conveying. Fashion doesn't have to be the latest most beautiful people and clothing. It can be old fashion like this. And it can be chaotic and disgusting.
And then I remembered your avatar of a man sticking his tongue out like a freak and I got it! Good work!

Aug 27, 2022 at 05:24 AM
sum1sgrampa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fashionable Soho

crow high wrote:
Wow. My first reaction was: What the frog! I've been lied too! ARggghhh!

Where's the beautiful women. Why are some of them wearing clothing you'd find in the early 1990's?
Why is this fashion when the Asian woman's dress stitching is falling apart. Visibly to the naked eye. No need to zoom in. And then I saw the fat woman's tattoo. And that she's wearing her skirt well above her waist. Like over her belly button. Few woman do that anymore here. They're usually 60 plus now. The rest of the women looked like they're stuck in
...Show more

My first reaction was " I've been fighting the use of the "Hide Me" button for exactly 5 years now but you are a perfect example of why it was created." But then I thought; "there's something perversely satisfying about watching someone continually making an absolute fool of themselves."
Steve will be the first to tell you I'm not his biggest fan. Mostly because he continually elicits these types of responses by showcasing unwitting participants who are unable to defend themselves from idiots like you. But your response here is disgusting, racist, juvenile, and totally useless.
Gary

This would probably be a good time to add that Steve was man enough to reach out to me via PM and I hope that we now have a better understanding of each other. I've been unfair in my assessment of him and am willing to admit to such even if we don't see eye to eye from a photographic standpoint.

Edited on Aug 27, 2022 at 09:44 AM · View previous versions

Aug 27, 2022 at 08:34 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fashionable Soho

sum1sgrampa wrote:
My first reaction was " I've been fighting the use of the "Hide Me" button for exactly 5 years now but you are a perfect example of why it was created." But then I thought; "there's something perversely satisfying about watching someone continually making an absolute fool of themselves."
Steve will be the first to tell you I'm not his biggest fan. Mostly because he continually elicits these types of responses by showcasing unwitting participants who are unable to defend themselves from idiots like you. But your response here is disgusting, racist, juvenile, and totally useless.
Gary

Don't forget the sarcastic, "ad hominem" element.

Crow High might want to take a review of the decorum that Fred expects of our members. I realize that he is a newer member, and may have come from places that this type of exchange was par for the course. But, THIS IS FM ... as in Fred Miranda.

Sarcasm, banter, disagreement, opinion, snarky at times, etc. ... but, there comes a place where it seems that being consistently rude and contentious for the sole purpose of "crowing" loses its appeal.

That said, I'll still re-extend the "Welcome to FM" that I extended before. But, I do think it needs to be made clear that Fred (the man who provides us with our beloved site) has expected a level of decorum among our membership. Make no mistake, that is not to suggest censorship ... but, to instill decorum among our members that collectively makes FM the hallmark of sites that it is.

Again, "Welcome to FM" is extended to Crow High ... but, if Crow High is going to become or remain as a viable member of FM, PLEASE consider how you may want to revise your conduct here. Do what you want, say what you will ... but, the longstanding membership of FM'ers support Fred's desire for decorum of conduct. Even as Gary and Steve have differing (sometimes strongly different) opinions, they do so with a modicum of decorum ... for one another, and for the site as a whole.

To which, we also extend a modicum of patience for folks to come to realize ... and appreciate ... the valuable place that Fred has provided. Fred's house is a good one. We'd like to keep it that way.

If you have any questions ... feel free to inquire of us. And, of course ... you can also inquire of Fred directly (via PM). He's a GREAT GUY, and runs a GREAT SITE. Please take to heart what the spirit and attitude of Fred Miranda is ... and again, "Welcome to FM".

FM ROCKS !!!

(but, not from posts that are antithetical to Fred's ideals of decorum)

Aug 27, 2022 at 09:36 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fashionable Soho

Great images Steve!
When a young woman sweats you know it is hot and humid!!!
It has been BRUTAL here and appears to be going into at least late next week!

I love your street photography, as you well know, and specifically in the Big A!!!!
Just PLEASE be careful brother!!!! Insanity has taken over the "swamp" here.
People are actually very vocal on "afraid to go out during the day"! And it has nothing to do with a police presence or lack thereof!
What really stuns me is that when something violent happens, the surrounding people "dont want to help"!!!!!
Dan

Aug 27, 2022 at 10:19 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fashionable Soho

Danpbphoto wrote:
Great images Steve!
When a young woman sweats you know it is hot and humid!!!
It has been BRUTAL here and appears to be going into at least late next week!

I love your street photography, as you well know, and specifically in the Big A!!!!
Just PLEASE be careful brother!!!! Insanity has taken over the "swamp" here.
People are actually very vocal on "afraid to go out during the day"! And it has nothing to do with a police presence or lack thereof!
What really stuns me is that when something violent happens, the surrounding people "dont want to help"!!!!!
Dan

Thanks Dan. Crime is on the rise in big cities and it's quite alarming. Plus the world is falling apart between energy problems, climate change, war in Ukraine, inflation, threats from China over Taiwan, droughts, floods... What else can happen...
Steve

Aug 27, 2022 at 10:31 AM
Charlie San
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fashionable Soho

Ditto Dan, I admire your street images too. May I add, fashion is in the eye of the beholder, and these are nice to behold.

Aug 27, 2022 at 10:34 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fashionable Soho

eeneryma wrote:
Thanks Dan. Crime is on the rise in big cities and it's quite alarming. Plus the world is falling apart between energy problems, climate change, war in Ukraine, inflation, threats from China over Taiwan, droughts, floods... What else can happen...
Steve

I don't know how "we" got to this place Steve! It is VERY alarming!!!!! I think, however blurred one may think,
we are being told a narrative that really isn't 100% valid! Yes things are changing in certain areas of climate and society but should we blame the population versus Mother Nature and her climatic cycles?
That discussion is above my pay grade brother!!
Dan

Aug 27, 2022 at 10:47 AM
crow high
• •
[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fashionable Soho

Fallacious

My comments are fallacious? The definition of fallacious is: argument based on a mistaken belief.

Am I supposed to follow around photographers here like I would on a social media website?

Like? Facebook.

Here's the description of Soho on wikipedia: SoHo, sometimes written Soho,[4] is a neighborhood in Lower Manhattan, New York City. Since the 1970s, the neighborhood has been the location of many artists' lofts and art galleries, and has also been known for its variety of shops ranging from trendy upscale boutiques to national and international chain store outlets.

EEneryma took pictures of the poor. A woman whose dress is falling apart. A fat woman whose wearing clothing that she's comfortable in. Some random man in a t shirt. A woman in tights whose obviously poor. A man in broad daylight whose wearing a ski mask. Oh wait no a hood covering his face. And another very poor looking woman with striking pink colors.

Don't you understand what I mean? The thread title conflicts with the images taken here. Rich. Fashion. Expensive art. Lofts = wealth. And all the pictures are of the very poor.

That in itself is insulting. Insulting because your exploiting the poorest of the poor. And are you saying that these poor represent all of soho, and the fashion?

I wouldn't normally respond to a tag team effort. Like what happened in my thread in digital art. And you noticed I didn't title it. I'm not trying to hijack anyone's thread here.

Aug 27, 2022 at 11:06 AM
crow high
• •
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fashionable Soho

The woman is so fat she can't find any clothing from these trendy stores or boutique outlets so she makes her own clothing, to fit her imperfect body. But does that represent all of Soho? Except for tourists who don't care. What about the inhabitants. I showed this to a friend and she had a fit. I had to hang up on her. She lives in Soho. She didn't think your photographs represent Soho fashion at all.

My bad for using the English language to convey idea's. I'll firmly remember if I see Ee's name. To only say. Good picture. And nothing else. Or just ignore his posts al together.

Aug 27, 2022 at 11:13 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fashionable Soho

Charlie San wrote:
Ditto Dan, I admire your street images too. May I add, fashion is in the eye of the beholder, and these are nice to behold.

Thanks Charlie, and much appreciated!
Steve

Aug 27, 2022 at 11:39 AM
fotoactvst
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fashionable Soho

Steve, I've returned a couple of time to look at these images and am impressed each time. There is a real presence of strength in them. Well done.

Aug 27, 2022 at 11:55 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fashionable Soho

fotoactvst wrote:
Steve, I've returned a couple of time to look at these images and am impressed each time. There is a real presence of strength in them. Well done.

Thanks fotoactvst! Some people understand big city street photography, others are clueless.
Steve

Aug 27, 2022 at 11:57 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fashionable Soho

Another really fine series Steve.

The thing that still photography does that no other art form can do is freeze moments in time. That is one thing (there are many others) that separates photography from other art forms. It is the ultimate in straight photograph and its history goes back to the very early days of the medium.

Street is all about moments when everything comes together usually in fractions of seconds to become a photograph. It takes a lot of practice and discipline to become really good at seeing and then having the technical skill to capturing those moment. Bresson referred to it as a developed instinct. When done well it can also be a mirror of who we are as a society at a specific moment in time. Robert Franks The Americans is a prime example of it. Walker Evans America is another. Winogrand was also a master.

Aug 27, 2022 at 12:39 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fashionable Soho

airfrogusmc wrote:
Another really fine series Steve.

The thing that still photography does that no other art form can do is freeze moments in time. That is one thing (there are many others) that separates photography from other art forms. It is the ultimate in straight photograph and its history goes back to the very early days of the medium.

Street is all about moments when everything comes together usually in fractions of seconds to become a photograph. It takes a lot of practice and discipline to become really good at seeing and then having the technical skill to capturing those moment. Bresson
...Show more
Key word here is "seeing". In some it is natural. In others it is hidden to be brought out on the street by involvement.. Then others.... it is just not there! I don't say that to be nasty, snarky or any other negative...just sayin'!
I will quote Weston:"photographs are made not taken and that (photographic)art is an outward expression of inner attainment."
While I am a huge fan of Weston...I like to hear all versions of the "How's" and form my own perspective. But that being said...you have to have some kind of fundamentals....the more ideas put forth the better, I feel anyway, my photographic perspective is ever evolving BUT as I stated..there must be a foundation!

Dan

Edited on Aug 27, 2022 at 02:35 PM · View previous versions

Aug 27, 2022 at 12:49 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fashionable Soho

crow high wrote:
The woman is so fat she can't find any clothing from these trendy stores or boutique outlets so she makes her own clothing, to fit her imperfect body. But does that represent all of Soho?

Statements like this are now attacking the woman. Your assessment is incredibly rude. Your assumption is rooted in incredibly faulty logic. There's nothing in this that is suggestive that it is supposed to "represent all of SOHO". If this is the reality of what was in SOHO, then it is honestly representative of SOME of SOHO.

The point about your friend being upset by it, is also more faulty logic. She can be upset, but that doesn't change the reality that this is what was in SOHO. Places change, times change, perceptions change. There was a time that Ferguson, MO had a different reputation than it does, now ... and yes, that is upsetting to some residents of Ferguson. If portions of SOHO are different from the trendy part, so be it. I've never been there, so I have no pre-conceived expectation to counter the captured reality.

But, the reality is that not ALL of SOHO is the same as the so-called "definition" of SOHO. If this is what passed before the lens, then ... it is what it is ... even if it isn't what some might want it to be. Real is real, truth is truth.

Which, btw ... this isn't the first set of images from SOHO we've seen. So, if you haven't seen the photographer's body of work around SOHO, then a myopic perspective could readily skew one's perspective pre-maturely.

Aug 27, 2022 at 01:49 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fashionable Soho

Steve,

The last one has an interesting dichotomy, juxtaposition between the person wearing a hoodie and the girl wearing much less.

The second one, I think is my fav. Particularly, when I view it cropped just below the beard shadow on his shirt. Leaving just the shirt graphic and the hands. The single, open, extended hand is a strong element in context with the two clenched fists (although, it does look like he's holding something).

Removing the identity of the person, reduces things to the hands a bit, further empowering their strength.

Aug 27, 2022 at 02:12 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fashionable Soho

crow high wrote:
The woman is so fat she can't find any clothing from these trendy stores or boutique outlets so she makes her own clothing, to fit her imperfect body. But does that represent all of Soho? Except for tourists who don't care. What about the inhabitants. I showed this to a friend and she had a fit. I had to hang up on her. She lives in Soho. She didn't think your photographs represent Soho fashion at all.

My bad for using the English language to convey idea's. I'll firmly remember if I see Ee's name. To only
...Show more
"ch";
I asked you, politely, in another post to not personalize your remarks! The subject title is NOT fat women! I believe you have missed Steve's point!
I don't mean to be rude, condescending or other negative remark..You don't need to tell members that 1 of your options is to just ignore the OP's post or how much bench pressing "xxx pounds" influences your photography skills.

I don't think Steve really cares! I know I don't!

I am just sayin!
Thanks!
Dan

Aug 27, 2022 at 02:44 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fashionable Soho

Don't know when I last saw someone with a parasol.

Aug 28, 2022 at 01:01 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fashionable Soho

Excellent work Steve! Love the strong postures of all of your subjects!
I assume you are using the flipped out rear screen and shooting from waist level?

Aug 28, 2022 at 02:11 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.