New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Floating Lamps

Shasoc
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Floating Lamps

A South and East Asia tradition to welcome happiness. Some young women will also pray for a good marriage.

Socrate

Aug 22, 2022 at 10:50 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Floating Lamps

Shasoc wrote:
A South and East Asia tradition to welcome happiness. Some young women will also pray for a good marriage.

Socrate

Wow! You're taking photography to another level, using it to create your own compositions, like a painter starting with a blank canvas. No easy matter, requiring highly developed processing skills and of course a creative mindset. Surreal, like a dream. How many layers on this one Socrate?

Steve

Aug 23, 2022 at 08:25 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Floating Lamps

eeneryma wrote:
Wow! You're taking photography to another level, using it to create your own compositions, like a painter starting with a blank canvas. No easy matter, requiring highly developed processing skills and of course a creative mindset. Surreal, like a dream. How many layers on this one Socrate?

Steve

Thank you Steve. I get some inspiration by looking also at other's compositions.
Only 51 layers this time

Socrate

Aug 23, 2022 at 10:16 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Floating Lamps

serene and gorgeous

Scott

Aug 25, 2022 at 07:14 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Floating Lamps

Lamps need tweaking IMO - they don't seem to be part of the scene.

Aug 25, 2022 at 08:36 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Floating Lamps

Amazing, as usual Socrate.

Out of curiosity, is there a significance to the violin in the girl's hand?

Don

Aug 25, 2022 at 09:17 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Floating Lamps

sbeme wrote:
serene and gorgeous

Scott

Thank you, Scott.

Socrate

Aug 25, 2022 at 11:15 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Floating Lamps

beavens wrote:
Lamps need tweaking IMO - they don't seem to be part of the scene.

Thanks, Jeff. I think I understood what you mean with the lamps not being part of the scene. They don't look like they are floating. They are giving away the fact that they were added to the scene afterwards.

Yes I can see that. I thought the reflection would have been enough. But, as always, there is room for improvement.

My be adding some water ripples may work

Thanks for pointing that out. Here is the revised version.

Socrate

Aug 25, 2022 at 11:30 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Floating Lamps

Yes! They definitely appear more natural now.

Aug 25, 2022 at 11:31 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Floating Lamps

EverLearning wrote:
Amazing, as usual Socrate.

Out of curiosity, is there a significance to the violin in the girl's hand?

Don

Thanks, Don. I added the violin thinking it may add to the serenity of the scene. The girl looked a bit sad I thought.

Don't know. May be that violin is a bit out of place

Socrate

Aug 25, 2022 at 11:41 AM
lylejk
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Floating Lamps

Very surreal; I like it.

Aug 25, 2022 at 05:47 PM
Melor
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Floating Lamps

The ripples ruin it for me. What is causing the ripples Maybe ripples around one that was immediately placed, but all of them?

The boat with a person standing in it is most likely to have a ripple, She is very still and the lamps are jiggling?

Paul

Aug 26, 2022 at 02:11 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Floating Lamps

lylejk wrote:
Very surreal; I like it.

Thank you Lyle. You are always willing to voice your opinion in a very positive way
Socrate

Edited on Aug 27, 2022 at 02:04 PM · View previous versions

Aug 26, 2022 at 10:03 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Floating Lamps

Melor wrote:
The ripples ruin it for me. What is causing the ripples Maybe ripples around one that was immediately placed, but all of them?

The boat with a person standing in it is most likely to have a ripple, She is very still and the lamps are jiggling?

Paul

Thank you for the comments, Paul. I will work some more on it and see what I will come out with
Socrate

Aug 26, 2022 at 10:05 PM
Melor
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Floating Lamps

I appreciate the photoshop work, but generally don’t favor digital manipulations that are trying to look real. Instead of being picturesque they seem to be a challenge to find evidence of manipulation. In this image, what pushed the lamps? The reflection in the water hints at tremendous stillness. Adding ripples increases this problem. The lack of movement in the boat is another issue. Images like this seem to be a where’s Waldo type of puzzle looking for problems. Digital manipulations that are not trying to pose as reality like some of the shell compos that have been posted here don’t have the same effect on me.

By the way, I dug the violin.

Paul

Edited on Aug 27, 2022 at 02:06 PM · View previous versions

Aug 27, 2022 at 12:01 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Floating Lamps

Melor wrote:
I appreciate the photoshop work, but generally don’t favor digital manipulations that are trying to look real. Instead of being picturesque they seem to be a challenge to find evidence of manipulation. In this image, what pushed the lamps? The reflection in the water hints at tremendous stillness. Adding ripples increases this problem. The lack of movement in the boat is another issue. Images like this seem to be a where’s Waldo type of puzzle looking for problems. Digital manipulations that are not trying to pose as reality like some of the shell compos that have been posted here don’t
...Show more

Paul, thanks for further elaborating on your comments.
I know that all critique is subjective in nature. All critiques we give are our own opinion, influenced by our own visual tastes, personal aesthetic preferences, and our experiences. I don’t think there is an objective way to critique a photo. Much less a photo composition.

What I think is important is to hold back on treating our personal taste as if it is the only measure of good work. There is a difference between taste and technique, between subjective quantities and objective quantities.

I think of a critique as a way of learning from the opinion and suggestions of someone else. This is why I post my work on this Forum. Not to be a challenge to find evidence of manipulation.
Actually, most of my photo compositions have nothing to do with reality but rather with surreality: “the intense irrational reality of a dream”, with the intent to create a mood, a feeling may be an emotion. It has to do more with the purpose/intent of the photo composition and what it's meant to communicate then with technique or reality.

Thanks again for the help.

Socrate

Aug 27, 2022 at 01:55 PM
Melor
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Floating Lamps

Shasoc wrote:
What I think is important is to hold back on treating our personal taste as if it is the only measure of good work. There is a difference between taste and technique, between subjective quantities and objective quantities.

Socrate

100%

Paul

Aug 27, 2022 at 02:13 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Floating Lamps

Beautiful selective editing

Sep 15, 2022 at 12:01 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Floating Lamps

IndyFab wrote:
Beautiful selective editing

Thank you. Glad you liked it
Socrate

Sep 16, 2022 at 03:36 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.