Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
5
       end
  

Archive 2022 · Fuji 150-600 + XH2S vs Olympus 150-400 + OM-1 ?

  
 
molson
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Fuji 150-600 + XH2S vs Olympus 150-400 + OM-1 ?


xtabber wrote:
Can't say anything about the OM gear, but for Fujifilm, and having used them both, the XF150-600 is vastly superior to the XF100-400 in every respect except possibly size and weight,



The Fuji XF 100-400 is plenty sharp, but it doesn't matter if the image isn't in focus.



Sep 20, 2022 at 09:10 PM
hoodlum90
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Fuji 150-600 + XH2S vs Olympus 150-400 + OM-1 ?


Mirrorless Comparison posted their review of the XH2S and the BIF test results with the 150-600 were disappointing. The Bird Detection really struggles with busy backgrounds and he had to turn it off in those situations to achieve better results. Fuji is still behind with C-AF accuracy.

https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/stories/fuji-xh2s-wildlife-birds/



Oct 11, 2022 at 07:42 PM
Tom Reynolds
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Fuji 150-600 + XH2S vs Olympus 150-400 + OM-1 ?


Thanks for that.

i find that if the OM-1 places a box around the bird, the subject will usually be quite sharp. In a sequence it seems that with the 100-400 an occasional frame is somewhat soft but at 20 f/s who cares.

Tom



Oct 11, 2022 at 09:01 PM
molson
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Fuji 150-600 + XH2S vs Olympus 150-400 + OM-1 ?


hoodlum90 wrote:
Fuji is still behind with C-AF accuracy.


Fuji knows where their market is - no one cares about AF-C accuracy for vlogging selfies.



Oct 12, 2022 at 10:18 AM
fadeslayer
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Fuji 150-600 + XH2S vs Olympus 150-400 + OM-1 ?


Tom Reynolds wrote:
Thanks for that.

i find that if the OM-1 places a box around the bird, the subject will usually be quite sharp. In a sequence it seems that with the 100-400 an occasional frame is somewhat soft but at 20 f/s who cares.

Tom


I find a good amount of OOF shots with box sticking on subjects, every (invisible in the EVF) leaf of grass between me and subject get OM-1 AF on that most of the time except for maybe a second after AF-ON button pressed. I hope they will soon improve that with firmware, boxes are working, but AF struggles to keep up with



Oct 13, 2022 at 02:13 AM
Tom Reynolds
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Fuji 150-600 + XH2S vs Olympus 150-400 + OM-1 ?


fadeslayer wrote:
I find a good amount of OOF shots with box sticking on subjects, every (invisible in the EVF) leaf of grass between me and subject get OM-1 AF on that most of the time except for maybe a second after AF-ON button pressed. I hope they will soon improve that with firmware, boxes are working, but AF struggles to keep up with


Is tracking OFF. The post by PVHiker has an explanation as to why tracking off is recommended when subject ID is on. To quote:

The two processes are quite distinct. Here's a narrative description of how I think they each proceed:

AIAFís subject tracking frame by frame is like:
ďAh, thereís a bird, focus, click
(next frame) ďAh, thereís a bird. Focus, clickĒ
etc, etc...

Tracking AF is like:
Ok, the human told me to focus on this thing here. Itís a pink, roundish blob about so big, and itís this far away from me right now. Focus, click.
Ok, that blob is a bit more to the right now and 2 feet closer to me; Focus, click.Ē
All right, between the previous two frames, the blob moved closer to me by two feet and a bit to the right, so Iím expecting it to show up a bit more to the right and another 2 feet closer to me.
Shift focus by 2 feet. (This can happen ahead of time, before it's time to grab the next frame)
Look at the scene. Ah, sure enough, thereís that blob right where I expected it to be, but itís only about 1.8 feet closer to me this time. Iíll make a note of that for next time...
Focus, click.Ē
and so onÖ

Hopefully that makes it all a bit more clear. AIAF and Tracking AF are two fundamentally different processes, and the camera is either in one mode or the other.




Oct 13, 2022 at 07:43 PM
fadeslayer
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Fuji 150-600 + XH2S vs Olympus 150-400 + OM-1 ?


Tom Reynolds wrote:
Is tracking OFF. The post by PVHiker has an explanation as to why tracking off is recommended when subject ID is on. To quote:

The two processes are quite distinct. Here's a narrative description of how I think they each proceed:

AIAFís subject tracking frame by frame is like:
ďAh, thereís a bird, focus, click
(next frame) ďAh, thereís a bird. Focus, clickĒ
etc, etc...

Tracking AF is like:
Ok, the human told me to focus on this thing here. Itís a pink, roundish blob about so big, and itís this far away from me right now. Focus, click.
Ok, that blob is a bit more
...Show more

I tried tracking in E-M1x, abysmal. I tried in OM-1, abysmal, too, with bird detect simultaneously on sometimes it led to even worse AF stickiness, so it's off since day 2



Oct 14, 2022 at 06:12 AM
Tom Reynolds
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Fuji 150-600 + XH2S vs Olympus 150-400 + OM-1 ?


My experience is different. I have 3 OM-1s and 3 100-400 f/6.3. I am virtually always in SI:Bird with AF area ALL. Usually, if the finds the bird the shots are in focus. Even with TR ON that is usually the case.

I found that with TR on raindrops and grass between the camera and subject would sometimes confuse the camera but that is it.

Tom



Oct 14, 2022 at 11:25 AM
1       2       3       4      
5
       end




FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
5
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.