Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Looking for Rain Cover for Remote

Pixelwasser

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for Rain Cover for Remote

Hello,
what rain cover would you recommend for a remote camera with short Lens and pocketwizard?

I now that there was one from ThinkTank the Remote Control 10.

Thx
Jan

Aug 20, 2022 at 06:57 AM
cocodrillo
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for Rain Cover for Remote

Any reason you wouldn't just want to modify and extra large ziplock bag? Not as snazzy looking as a TT cover, but massively less expensive and just as functional.

Aug 21, 2022 at 09:32 AM
Pixelwasser

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for Rain Cover for Remote

Thank you for the suggestion, however Ziplock is not 100% applicable for me.

I use the remote camera almost every weekend, either at football or at other events such as horse riding

Disadvantages
1. I have to cut another opening for the lens, which means that the bag has to be huge.
2. it is much more difficult to reach the memory card.
3. when riding, I have to make sure that the camera does not disturb the horses, this is much more difficult with a ziplock.

Advantage
1. cost

So I am looking for a solution, but it looks like I will have to see if I can still get a Think Tank Remote Control 10 somewhere, even though they have disappeared from the range.

Aug 22, 2022 at 06:02 AM
threepairsphot

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for Rain Cover for Remote

I've used these from Amazon, although not on a remote setup. Easy access to all camera controls and memory cards.
https://www.amazon.com/Camera-Cover-Raincoat-Sleeve-Protection/dp/B096FCKY85/ref=sr_1_13?crid=2I19M3RWIJZNU&keywords=camera+rain+cover&qid=1661179609&sprefix=camera+rain+cover%2Caps%2C74&sr=8-13

Aug 22, 2022 at 09:48 AM
crow high
• •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for Rain Cover for Remote

Zip lock bags suck when trying to handle the camera in the rain. Garbage bags though.

I did this to protect a camera during a sever storm. Home depot sells pipe fasteners. Their rings of metal that can contract by tightening a screw. Cost? $1.00. You can tighten it around your lens hood with a bit of garbage bag. If there's not enough leverage you can put some cheese cloth in between your lens and the pipe fastener.

I've done this once myself. In pro cinema they make light boxes that they put over camera lenses. I could be wrong maybe I am. I am an idiot. You can use a small box and cover it with aluminum foil. ON the outside. Glue it on. Place camera inside of box. Cut hole in box and slide in hot shoe for tripod. You know the plastic bags used for cereal in boxes? You can use that as a blind for the lens. All you need is a stapler and a knife to cut a round hole for the lens.

If you eat cereal for breakfast.
If you roast with aluminum foil.
If you have a stapler or staple gun.
If you have a pairing knife or scissors.

You can make yourself a self container box for camera and lens. Aluminum does well. It doesn't rust.

Aug 24, 2022 at 05:16 AM
abeese

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for Rain Cover for Remote

The flash version of the ThinkTank hydrophobia works nicely.

Nov 23, 2022 at 06:35 AM
Pixelwasser

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for Rain Cover for Remote

I just got hands on a used Thinktank Cover which I die Dome repairs to. Thx all for all the advises.

Nov 28, 2022 at 12:38 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.