Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              15      
       end

New Lens: Tamron 20-40mm F/2.8 Di III VXD, Thoughts?

fotografur
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #1 · p.16 #1 · New Lens: Tamron 20-40mm F/2.8 Di III VXD, Thoughts?

That's on you if you don't like these reviewers or if you like them.
Like anything it's up to you to decide.

For me personally I read the reviews and judge the images and take them all, even the people here with a grain of salt. Some of the reviewers mentioned here may never say anything bad about any lens which is fine by me. You have to use your brain to read between the lines of what these guys are saying. There are hints if they recommend a lens or pass on it.

And reviewers never know your expectations and use. If you read enough of the reviews on a particular lens you get the gist of what to expect. And you never know if there is a bad copy of a lens they might have.

Nov 24, 2022 at 07:41 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.16 #2 · p.16 #2 · New Lens: Tamron 20-40mm F/2.8 Di III VXD, Thoughts?

Agree why I just buy it and test it. I was one of those Ambassadors they never used that name back then but Leica and Phase One I was very involved in. I always told the truth maybe why im not anymore.

Nov 24, 2022 at 07:45 AM
aCuria
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #3 · p.16 #3 · New Lens: Tamron 20-40mm F/2.8 Di III VXD, Thoughts?

fotografur wrote:
That's on you if you don't like these reviewers or if you like them.
Like anything it's up to you to decide.

For me personally I read the reviews and judge the images and take them all, even the people here with a grain of salt. Some of the reviewers mentioned here may never say anything bad about any lens which is fine by me. You have to use your brain to read between the lines of what these guys are saying. There are hints if they recommend a lens or pass on it.

And reviewers never know your expectations and use.
...Show more

This is exactly my problem with them, they are in the pocket of the manufacturers either directly (paid cash / free gear) or indirectly (loans of equipment to review, invitations to product launches) and therefore have become incapable of speaking their mind.

Experienced photographers donít need a review at all, as some others here have alluded to.

But newbies end up getting scammed into a 24-240. They look for the lens with the longest zoom range, check out one YouTube review and check out.

Nov 24, 2022 at 09:11 AM
Immortal
• •
p.16 #4 · p.16 #4 · New Lens: Tamron 20-40mm F/2.8 Di III VXD, Thoughts?

aCuria wrote:
This is exactly my problem with them, they are in the pocket of the manufacturers either directly (paid cash / free gear) or indirectly (loans of equipment to review, invitations to product launches) and therefore have become incapable of speaking their mind.

Experienced photographers donít need a review at all, as some others here have alluded to.

But newbies end up getting scammed into a 24-240. They look for the lens with the longest zoom range, check out one YouTube review and check out.

Draw your own conclusion. Some reviews are detailed enough to do that. Also not all reviewers are in manufactures pocket. People like Dustin Abbott dont go to product launches and are not sponsored by them. Gear loans for review is normal and doesn't mean even indirectly that reviewer is is somebody pocket.

Either you like the reviews/reviewer or not is up to you. In any case those reviews hold some value for many people. Nobody is stoping you from testing and publishing test result yourself, the way you would like them to be done.

Nov 24, 2022 at 09:22 AM
aCuria
• •
p.16 #5 · p.16 #5 · New Lens: Tamron 20-40mm F/2.8 Di III VXD, Thoughts?

Immortal wrote:
Draw your own conclusion. Some reviews are detailed enough to do that. Also not all reviewers are in manufactures pocket. People like Dustin Abbott dont go to product launches and are not sponsored by them. Gear loans for review is normal and doesn't mean even indirectly that reviewer is is somebody pocket.

Either you like the reviews/reviewer or not is up to you. In any case those reviews hold some value for many people. Nobody is stoping you from testing and publishing test result yourself, the way you would like them to be done.

I have published my own test results before

I am with GMPhotography on this one, I donít need the reviews if I have access to the lenses to test for myself. Access isnít an issue for Sony glass and the larger 3rd party manufacturers

Any subjective review certainly has some value, itís helpful to see how the physical size of the lens compares to another for instance. However you should also recognize that these reviewers who canít speak their mind end up providing negative value to some people, and thatís what I have a problem with

Nov 24, 2022 at 09:30 AM
AZHeaven
• • •
p.16 #6 · p.16 #6 · New Lens: Tamron 20-40mm F/2.8 Di III VXD, Thoughts?

aCuria wrote:
Christopher Frost needs better test equipment, his reviews only eyeball a test chart downsampled to 4K / 1080p and then re-compressed again by YouTube. His reviews ultimately rather subjective and he rarely if ever says anything negative about a lens. That is, his rating scale in terms of language goes from 6-10, even for rather terrible lenses like the 24-240. He also doesnít test more than one copy of each lens

https://youtu.be/Rwg9c_29kfw in this review an honest reviewer would say terribly soft lens, for too much money, buy the cheaper and better 28-200 instead

Dustin Abbot isnít any better, subjective
...Show more

Dustin Abbotts reviews are legit. And well respected. And Chris uses test charts. Wish it was more real life. The only issue with Chris is he forever used an older A7RII and got snippy when it was suggested he get a better camera. I'll leave this discussion there.

Nov 24, 2022 at 09:37 AM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.16 #7 · p.16 #7 · New Lens: Tamron 20-40mm F/2.8 Di III VXD, Thoughts?

aCuria wrote:

I guess I'm not an "experienced photographer".🤷‍♂️

Nov 24, 2022 at 09:40 AM
aCuria
• •
p.16 #8 · p.16 #8 · New Lens: Tamron 20-40mm F/2.8 Di III VXD, Thoughts?

fotografur wrote:
I guess I'm not an "experienced photographer".🤷‍♂️

With two lenses in hand, you donít think you can make a decision on which you prefer without consulting Christopher Frost or <insert other reviewer here>?

Nov 24, 2022 at 09:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Donzo98
• • • •
p.16 #9 · p.16 #9 · New Lens: Tamron 20-40mm F/2.8 Di III VXD, Thoughts?

aCuria wrote:
With two lenses in hand, you donít think you can make a decision on which you prefer without consulting Christopher Frost or <insert other reviewer here>?

Most "normal" people could care less about reviews, this site or anything other than a pic they see shared on their computers.

Many people on here... me included... are gear heads who actually enjoy watching the reviews, and making choices based on a variety of things. I take the reviews with a grain of salt, and read threads like this to help choosing.

I pick my lenses based on my wants... not really needs. I'm a hobbyist. When I get tired of something... it gets sold.

The buy/sell is very active because people like to buy and try things.

Nov 24, 2022 at 10:02 AM
tsdevine
• • • •
p.16 #10 · p.16 #10 · New Lens: Tamron 20-40mm F/2.8 Di III VXD, Thoughts?

Do you suggest the only valid input is buying or renting multiple copies of every lens?Ö..that doesnít seem to scale well if everyone absolutely must do that.

To me, reviews are data points. The credibility of each is something you weigh when assessing those data points.

aCuria wrote:

Nov 24, 2022 at 10:06 AM
Immortal
• •
p.16 #11 · p.16 #11 · New Lens: Tamron 20-40mm F/2.8 Di III VXD, Thoughts?

aCuria wrote:

You're missing the point here. Probably most of us can make a decision without any reviews just by our own testing. That's not the point.

The point was, that reviews done by people like Dustin Abbott hold quite a lot of value for most people here and are often enough to draw our own conclusion about piece of gear. Do we buy it or not. And its not like we cant return it if for some reason we ended up not liking it.

There is no downside to watching/reading(and drawing our own conclusion) respected reviewers content. Thou if you dont like them its not like anybody is forcing you to do it.

Nov 24, 2022 at 10:07 AM
aCuria
• •
p.16 #12 · p.16 #12 · New Lens: Tamron 20-40mm F/2.8 Di III VXD, Thoughts?

Immortal wrote:
You're missing the point here. Probably most of us can make a decision without any reviews just by our own testing. That's not the point.

The point was, that reviews done by people like Dustin Abbott hold quite a lot of value for most people here and are often enough to draw our own conclusion about piece of gear. Do we buy it or not. And its not like we cant return it if for some reason we ended up not liking it.

There is no downside to watching/reading(and drawing our own conclusion) respected reviewers content. Thou if you dont like
...Show more

You missed the point, itís sarcasm. I have no doubt fotografur can make a decision without reviews. Maybe I should have added bazinga at the end

Dustin Abbot does a decent job at a subjective review, itís just ultimately not as useful as a less subjective review by lenstip, optical limits, lensrentals and so on.

You donít seem to realize this was in response to AZheavenís ďThe reviews go back and forth.Ē comment, this has to do with the problems with subjective reviews, where different reviewers can have different opinions on the same lens

Nov 24, 2022 at 10:32 AM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.16 #13 · p.16 #13 · New Lens: Tamron 20-40mm F/2.8 Di III VXD, Thoughts?

aCuria wrote:

I take comments from people like you with a grain of salt. Until someone has posted photos here, anywhere, has a web site or instagram post your comments me nothing to me. For all I know you could be a cat that got ahold of the keyboard

Nov 24, 2022 at 10:56 AM
Immortal
• •
p.16 #14 · p.16 #14 · New Lens: Tamron 20-40mm F/2.8 Di III VXD, Thoughts?

aCuria wrote:
You missed the point, itís sarcasm. I have no doubt fotografur can make a decision without reviews. Maybe I should have added bazinga at the end

Dustin Abbot does a decent job at a subjective review, itís just ultimately not as useful as a less subjective review by lenstip, optical limits, lensrentals and so on.

You donít seem to realize this was in response to AZheavenís ďThe reviews go back and forth.Ē comment, this has to do with the problems with subjective reviews, where different reviewers can have different opinions on the same lens

1. You should add it.

2. About Abbott and the others - just to be clear here - that's your opinion and that's fine. Many of us here disagree.

3. That's true, i didnt notice to whom comment you were responding at the start. Second part is not really true thou, several "objective" reviews can have different opinions on the same lens as shown many times over last few years.

In the end all reviews have value. How much value for you specifically... well thats for you to decide. Just like anybody else can decide for themselves.

Nov 24, 2022 at 11:02 AM
keepcoding
• • •
p.16 #15 · p.16 #15 · New Lens: Tamron 20-40mm F/2.8 Di III VXD, Thoughts?

My initial review of the Tamron 20-40mm F2.8:
https://blog.keepcoding.ch/?p=7983

I think Tamron delivered a really compelling lens with only a few compromises

Nov 24, 2022 at 12:58 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password