FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5              19       20       end

Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review

chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review

pompo wrote:
what do you mean " with a lens that fast the thicker cover glass of the Sony cameras will affect the performance of the lens."?
The Sony's sensor cover?

But regardless, what does that have to do with the Adapter?

I think you'd have the same result no matter what adapter you use...so basically nothing to do with the adapter.

Aug 20, 2022 at 04:25 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review

Fred Miranda wrote:

In my Voigtlander 50/1 Nokton review, I posted lots of rendering and resolution samples comparing the Nokton 50/1, Leica 50/0.95 and 50/1 versions. I don't think the two Leica lenses are far apart but the 0.95 performs better in terms of resolution/contrast. Their rendering is quite unique though.

lol itís true I recalled the CV 50/1 Nokton was far better than even the .95 Noct, but I the 50/1 Noct is a ride or die for me!

Aug 20, 2022 at 04:34 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Iím going to respectfully disagree with you here Steve. I have a modified Sony, and a stock Sony. Noct 50/1 is definitely a bit worse on the stock, but that lens is optically horrible anyway, so Iím not really sure youíre losing much. Not really the point of the lensóthe signature isnít appreciably altered IMO.

Canít speak to the 50/.95 Noct though.

We can agree to disagree on this one. I kind of like lenses in some cases that have about 80% contrast at 10 lp/mm; 50% contrast at 20 lp/mm, and 30% contrast at 40 lp/mm but that is about as soft as I still like the image. Those are about the numbers for the 50 f/1 noctiulx on film. Those numbers will be cut in half or a bit more on a stock Sony and even cut quite a bit on a thin sensor Sony (that is why the IQ is fairly lousy even on a thin sensor Sony or Leica M digital) and just makes it too soft for my tastes and basically like using a soft focus filter on a lens that is already low in contrast. Of course, YMMV, and you may like that look, but to me I find that quite a bit too soft.

I very much value your impression and evaluation and we often agree but for me this lens on any digital sensor is a step too far. I wanted to like the lens, but I have never liked the images from it.

Aug 20, 2022 at 05:19 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review

Thatís a reasonable and intelligent way to look at it. Personally, I often find I like older lenses on digital more than film, and often sharper better corrected optics on film than digital. I really like my CVís on film, less so on digital. My Noct the opposite.

I think of that 50/1 as having terrible corners natively (FC galore). So really itís a lens where I place the subject in the central 1/3 of the frame of shooting WO, where I donít see much of a difference. On a stock Sony, the outer midfield is a bit worse, and the corners are definitely worse, but thatís not where I place my subject anyway, so a bit of a mute point. I can just radially soften/drop clairity and contrast quickly to get the outer 1/3 of the frame similar on a stock when shooting from f1-1.4.

So in my real world experience, this photo of my girl is not affected on a stock or modified Sonyóin fact, I canít recall which I shot it on. Each to their own thoughóand I always value your thoughts and experience as well

Aug 20, 2022 at 06:38 PM
pompo
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review

Steve Spencer wrote:
The cover glass on a Sony camera is thicker than a Noctilux f/0.95 or f/1 was designed for. That will effect the performance of the lens on a Sony camera and the effect is pronounced on faster glass even in the center. See this link:

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/07/sensor-stack-thickness-part-iii-the-summary/

Look in that first chart on that link what even an extra mm of sensor cover glass does to contrast for an f/1 or f/0.95 lens and that is in the center not on the edges. My view is that is way too big of a performance hit when shooting the lens at wide
...Show more

Thanks! I'm not much of a techie, but I used the 50 0.95 wide open with Sony A1 and the older Techart adapter to shoot some portraits of the actors on Interview with the Vampire and they look AMAZING! I will post em in here as soon as AMC releases them.

Aug 20, 2022 at 06:42 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review

Just got mine. How do you get the hub/back cap off? The little thing that I think is the release button doesn't do anything. Should it really be as simple as pushing the little metal button and unscrewing? If so, I think mine might be defective... ::sigh::

Aug 23, 2022 at 01:22 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review

Arka wrote:
Just got mine. How do you get the hub/back cap off? The little thing that I think is the release button doesn't do anything. Should it really be as simple as pushing the little metal button and unscrewing? If so, I think mine might be defective... ::sigh::

I don't think it's defective. I had a hard time removing my front cap as well. It will come off, just rotate it. Did you get a link to download the latest firmware?

Aug 23, 2022 at 01:33 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
I don't think it's defective. I had a hard time removing my front cap as well. It will come off, just rotate it. Did you get a link to download the latest firmware? If so, what link?

Thanks Fred. How hard did you force it? I am always nervous about applying too much and then breaking something.

RE: link for updating firmware - I have no idea. Haven't explored it yet given that I can't even get the back cap off.

Aug 23, 2022 at 01:45 PM
Donzo98
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review

Arka wrote:
Thanks Fred. How hard did you force it? I am always nervous about applying too much and then breaking something.

RE: link for updating firmware - I have no idea. Haven't explored it yet given that I can't even get the back cap off.

@Arka @Fred Miranda

Where did you guys order from?

Aug 23, 2022 at 01:56 PM
pompo
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review

Donzo98 wrote:
Arka wrote:

Edited on Aug 23, 2022 at 02:44 PM · View previous versions

Aug 23, 2022 at 02:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review

Arka wrote:

I don't remember how I did it but I think I just kept rotating the cap until it came off.

Aug 23, 2022 at 02:38 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review

Donzo98 wrote:
@Arka@ @Fred Miranda@

Mine was a loan from TechArt for the review on this thread.

Aug 23, 2022 at 02:38 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review

Donzo98 wrote:
@Arka@ @Fred Miranda@

I ordered direct from Techart, which - oddly - appears to be the only way you get a guarantee! Itís shipped and arrives in the next couple of days.

Aug 23, 2022 at 04:51 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review

DavidBM wrote:
I ordered direct from Techart, which - oddly - appears to be the only way you get a guarantee! Itís shipped and arrives in the next couple of days.

Great! I'm pretty sure that if you order from B&H Photo there is full warranty as well. For some reason, the lack of warranty only happens when purchasing from either Amazon or eBay.

Aug 23, 2022 at 04:58 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review

I pre-ordered mine through the link on page 1 of this thread--pumped!

Aug 23, 2022 at 05:15 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
I don't remember how I did it but I think I just kept rotating the cap until it came off. The link should be in the manual included with the adapter.

I did ultimately get it off, thanks. The manual unfortunately is of little help to me as it is written in Chinese.

The device works really well though. Not as fast as my native Sony lenses but probably about as fast as most of my old Nikon F-lenses, which is saying a lot.

Aug 23, 2022 at 05:28 PM
pompo
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review

man I can't wait to get my hands on it! Does it slow down a lot in very low light?

Aug 23, 2022 at 05:53 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review

review from dpreview:

Aug 24, 2022 at 10:51 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review

New firmware update (v1.5)
  1. Camera lens name updated to TECHART LM-EA9
  2. When switched to MF, adapter moves back to infinity focus

Aug 25, 2022 at 04:05 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review

Any idea if or when they might have a converter allowing Canon EF body owners to use Leica M lenses?

Aug 25, 2022 at 07:49 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.