Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              17      
18
       19       end
  

Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review

  
 
qqphot
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #1 · p.18 #1 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review


larryLL wrote:
I used this adaptor with a7cii and zeiss zm 25, it works only on the center area of auto focus zone
how about I purchase a fotodiox pronto II and adapt the zm25, the focus area will be wider? any suggestions?


As Fred says, it's more a function of the lens than of the adapter. The adapter is only taking the camera's instructions and moving the lens accordingly. Possibly it's because the projected image changes in size more as focus is adjusted, or something.



Oct 11, 2023 at 07:30 PM
larryLL
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #2 · p.18 #2 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review


Tks for the reply, the reason why I would consider the pronto is from my using experience with Fujifilm cameras, the af focus area is almost 90% coverage. It seems there are different mechanisms between Fuji and Sony, or there are some restrictions made by Sony.


Oct 12, 2023 at 05:48 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #3 · p.18 #3 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review


larryLL wrote:
Tks for the reply, the reason why I would consider the pronto is from my using experience with Fujifilm cameras, the af focus area is almost 90% coverage. It seems there are different mechanisms between Fuji and Sony, or there are some restrictions made by Sony.


Techart's team does reverse engineering to develop their firmware. This means that the adapter's performance can vary depending on the camera brand you use it with. Also, the Fuji adapter is designed for use with a smaller APS-C sensor and only works in AF-S mode.



Oct 12, 2023 at 09:06 AM
kenthomson
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #4 · p.18 #4 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review


phinix wrote:
Anyone here from UK bought this adapter?
I wonder if Techart declares actual value and we pay full custom fees, VAT etc


I bought from a company called Onestop Digital. Price was just over 300 and there were no additional fees. Shipping was pretty quick too, just over a week if I recall correctly.



Oct 13, 2023 at 10:44 AM
lifef8
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #5 · p.18 #5 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review


Anyone ran into an issue where the adapter won't get recognized? Its freezing up my camera...wont AF-and aperture isn't recognized. I've tried changing firmware a few times and no cigar unfortunately

Edit: Yay, cleaning the contacts that looks squeaky clean in the first place with Ronsonol on a toothbrush fixed it!



Oct 19, 2023 at 05:25 PM
tangfj
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #6 · p.18 #6 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review


I just got the LM-EA9 and am using it with a A7CR... I'm still very much in the honeymoon phase with it. I feel like the hit rate on autofocus is hit and miss. There are times when the thing just won't move at all even though there's good lighting/etc... I've also had zero luck in getting it to focus at infinity for very distant objects (tried with my canon FD 35mm f2).

Anyone have any tips from people who are getting a better hit rate? Are you using AF-S or AF-C or AF-A? Are there any focal length lenses that tend to do better on it?

Based on my limited use, I'd say that I'm probably getting maybe a 60% hit rate on autofocus with this. I've updated to the latest firmware... when I first updated it I thought I killed the adapter but then tried again and it seems to be working ok now thanks to the comments in this thread!

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated! I'm on the fence on whether or not I want to keep this or send it back and just use a dumb adapter.



Oct 24, 2023 at 08:08 AM
lattesweden
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #7 · p.18 #7 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review


tangfj wrote:
I just got the LM-EA9 and am using it with a A7CR... I'm still very much in the honeymoon phase with it. I feel like the hit rate on autofocus is hit and miss. There are times when the thing just won't move at all even though there's good lighting/etc... I've also had zero luck in getting it to focus at infinity for very distant objects (tried with my canon FD 35mm f2).

Anyone have any tips from people who are getting a better hit rate? Are you using AF-S or AF-C or AF-A? Are there any focal length lenses that
...Show more

All Samyang lenses have experienced AF problems in AF-C mode on the A6700, A7CII and A7CR. It seems Sony changed something in how the AF communication works (Samyang is working on firmware updates).

One can speculate if also the Techart LM-EA9 has the same problem on these three new bodys since I don't have the problems you report when I use the Techart on my bodys (A9, A7RV and A7CmkI).

Do note that the Techart works best with middle point AF-box so use that for testing and if that works, then move the point outwards to see how far out from the middle you can go (is normally lens dependent).




Oct 24, 2023 at 10:00 AM
grahamgibson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #8 · p.18 #8 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review


tangfj wrote:
I just got the LM-EA9 and am using it with a A7CR... I'm still very much in the honeymoon phase with it. I feel like the hit rate on autofocus is hit and miss. There are times when the thing just won't move at all even though there's good lighting/etc... I've also had zero luck in getting it to focus at infinity for very distant objects (tried with my canon FD 35mm f2).

Anyone have any tips from people who are getting a better hit rate? Are you using AF-S or AF-C or AF-A? Are there any focal length lenses that
...Show more

Good luck, hopefully Techart will provide a FW update, but it may require some time. The A7CR is quite new, but I'm sure plenty of people are interested to use the LM-EA9 with it (including myself!).



Oct 24, 2023 at 11:13 AM
tangfj
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #9 · p.18 #9 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review


lattesweden wrote:
All Samyang lenses have experienced AF problems in AF-C mode on the A6700, A7CII and A7CR. It seems Sony changed something in how the AF communication works (Samyang is working on firmware updates).

One can speculate if also the Techart LM-EA9 has the same problem on these three new bodys since I don't have the problems you report when I use the Techart on my bodys (A9, A7RV and A7CmkI).

Do note that the Techart works best with middle point AF-box so use that for testing and if that works, then move the point outwards to see how far out from
...Show more

Thank you for this! I re-tested using the center point and it does work much better! I also found that if I'm focusing more than 3ft away that I can safely set the focus a hair before infinity and things tend to focus pretty well. On the flip side, if I'm focusing less than 3ft then I can safely set my focus to the minimum focus distance. This seems to me the easiest way to operate with the adapter so far (for me)... The only thing I wish they did was include a card with the settings so I could always keep it in the bag!

---------------------------------------------

grahamgibson wrote:
Good luck, hopefully Techart will provide a FW update, but it may require some time. The A7CR is quite new, but I'm sure plenty of people are interested to use the LM-EA9 with it (including myself!).


Actually, thanks to lattesweden's post above I'm getting more consistent results so I am leaning towards keeping it... still need to do more testing with it of course!

Attached are a few pictures I took with my LLL Elcan using the LM-EA9 on my A7CR for reference... one up close using the minimum focus distance on the lens (this was definitely less than 3ft away) and the other at just a hair before infinity. Both shot wide open on the lens at F2 just to test it out...




tangfj 2023





tangfj 2023




Oct 24, 2023 at 01:57 PM
lattesweden
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #10 · p.18 #10 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review


tangfj wrote:
Thank you for this! I re-tested using the center point and it does work much better! I also found that if I'm focusing more than 3ft away that I can safely set the focus a hair before infinity and things tend to focus pretty well. On the flip side, if I'm focusing less than 3ft then I can safely set my focus to the minimum focus distance. This seems to me the easiest way to operate with the adapter so far (for me)... The only thing I wish they did was include a card with the settings so I could
...Show more

I'm glad I could help and also it is really good to know that it seems that the LM-EA9 works on the latest bodys.



Oct 24, 2023 at 03:15 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #11 · p.18 #11 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review


My LM-EA9 just died today.
The motor does not move and changing firmware does not do anything.



Dec 19, 2023 at 12:47 AM
BastianK
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #12 · p.18 #12 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
My LM-EA9 just died today.
The motor does not move and changing firmware does not do anything.

Ugh...

Someone once sent me this guide how to repair it, I never tried it myself (didn't have to so far), maybe worth a look:
Repair Guide



Dec 19, 2023 at 01:05 AM
Alan Parker
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #13 · p.18 #13 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
My LM-EA9 just died today.
The motor does not move and changing firmware does not do anything.


That's awful Fred! Especially since the LM-EA9 isn't a cheap product either.
Hopefully there's warranty or a way to fix it?



Dec 19, 2023 at 01:37 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #14 · p.18 #14 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review


BastianK wrote:
Ugh...

Someone once sent me this guide how to repair it, I never tried it myself (didn't have to so far), maybe worth a look:
Repair Guide


Thanks, Bastian. I remember you posting this before, and it was the first thing I tried with no success. I believe that when one motor goes, the adapter stops working, even though there are other motors.

I went back to the EA7! It's being working for many years without an issue. The one concern is using it with light lenses to it does not develop the wobble.



Dec 19, 2023 at 09:39 AM
foto16
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #15 · p.18 #15 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review


I'm wondering do people use adapted M lenses wide open for serious work?

As mentioned earlier, the thicker cover glass of the Sony cameras will introduce field curvature and make the image soft for an off-center subject, when using adapters because the M lenses are design for a thinner cover glass. This is apparent in Fred's lens reviews (and Philip Reeve's review site). Only when you stop down to f5.6-8 you get sharp edges. So this looks to me just for fun when you already some m lenses but not for serious work.

I'm thinking of adapting a 35/1.4 m-mount lens because the E-mount AF f1.4 lenses are so huge. But I'm not going to adapt a f1.4 lens and only shoot it stopped down to f5.6-8.



Dec 19, 2023 at 11:23 AM
BastianK
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #16 · p.18 #16 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
Thanks, Bastian. I remember you posting this before, and it was the first thing I tried with no success. I believe that when one motor goes, the adapter stops working, even though there are other motors.

I went back to the EA7! It's being working for many years without an issue. The one concern is using it with light lenses to it does not develop the wobble.


So I am still waiting for the first guy that guide actually helps 😅



Dec 19, 2023 at 01:58 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #17 · p.18 #17 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review


foto16 wrote:
I'm wondering do people use adapted M lenses wide open for serious work?

As mentioned earlier, the thicker cover glass of the Sony cameras will introduce field curvature and make the image soft for an off-center subject, when using adapters because the M lenses are design for a thinner cover glass. This is apparent in Fred's lens reviews (and Philip Reeve's review site). Only when you stop down to f5.6-8 you get sharp edges. So this looks to me just for fun when you already some m lenses but not for serious work.

I'm thinking of adapting a 35/1.4 m-mount
...Show more

The main issue is the amplified field curvature introduced by the thicker sensor in M lenses, as they were originally designed for a much thinner stack. The solution is to stop the lens down for a broad depth of field or to modify the Sony camera by reducing the sensor stack. With these mods, AF will still work, there may be challenges with auto WB and the WB presets, requiring custom WB for accurate colors.

Another alternative is to use the full-frame Sony in crop mode, which also helps alleviate the curvature issues to some extent.



Dec 19, 2023 at 02:12 PM
Matt Kerby
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #18 · p.18 #18 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
Thanks, Bastian. I remember you posting this before, and it was the first thing I tried with no success. I believe that when one motor goes, the adapter stops working, even though there are other motors.

I went back to the EA7! It's being working for many years without an issue. The one concern is using it with light lenses to it does not develop the wobble.



Mine did the same thing and I, like you am back to the EA7 which has actually been the better performer and now the only performer. I feel like it's just a Novelty anyways. But man an expensive one.



Dec 19, 2023 at 03:08 PM
grahamgibson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #19 · p.18 #19 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review


What a bummer to read these are failing. I'm loving mine still, going strong 1 year in, but now feel a bit nervous about it...


Dec 20, 2023 at 12:54 AM
foto16
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #20 · p.18 #20 · Techart Pro LM-EA9 Review


Maybe Leica should make an interchangeable lens Q with this technology and instantly turn their MF lenses into AF.


Dec 20, 2023 at 08:58 AM
1       2       3              17      
18
       19       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              17      
18
       19       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.