p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sittin ...

Couple diff0 ways of doin' it. ;

Kent Southers 2022

Aug 09, 2022 at 09:44 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sittin ...

Kent, this genre of photography is not my area of expertise so I don't really have a critique to offer, but I do have a question. In the second photo, is the person in the background a photo bomb and if not, what was your objective in the inclusion and relative positioning of this partial person?

Don

Aug 10, 2022 at 09:35 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sittin ...

EverLearning wrote:
Kent, this genre of photography is not my area of expertise so I don't really have a critique to offer, but I do have a question. In the second photo, is the person in the background a photo bomb and if not, what was your objective in the inclusion and relative positioning of this partial person?

Don

Gonna go with a negative on the photo bomb - those are when someone intentionally inserts themselves into the pic. This seems to just be someone in the background.

My question for Kent is what he's going for in #1 - that will help drive any commentary.

2 is a nice, happy capture. I could see bringing up the shadows to see the face better, since all the light is behind the boy.

Jeff

Aug 10, 2022 at 09:47 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sittin ...

Jeff, I had the same sort of thought as you re the definition of a photo bomb, but interestingly enough it is much broader, and even depends on whether it is used as a verb or noun.

Verb: "spoil a photograph of (a person or thing) by unexpectedly appearing in the camera's field of view as the picture is taken, typically as a prank or practical joke."

Noun: "a photograph that has been spoiled by the unexpected appearance of an unintended subject in the camera's field of view as the picture was taken."

So it is unexpected and unintended as a noun and "typically" (but not always) as a prank or joke as a verb.

Anyway, just an interesting tidbit.

Don

Aug 10, 2022 at 10:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sittin ...

The first image doesn't work for me, Kent. It doesn't look intentional. I would move that guy away from the pole, play with the lighting, a bit of clockwise rotation and crop some from the right side.

In the second I am with Jeff. Brightening the face will lead the viewer's eyes away from the bright Crocs shoes the kid is wearing. Toning those down would also help. Don't know if it's lens distortion but the side wall looks like is bent downwards.

Socrate

Aug 10, 2022 at 03:22 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sittin ...

EverLearning wrote:

Don

Thanks Don,

Yeah, I had another one with even better form on the Vee-Sit ... and no one in the BG. But, the other one didn't have much expression in the boy's face. So, I was curious to see how much the "photobomber" (his uncle actually) detracted from the little guy.

Sometimes it's just a matter of take what ya can get, when you're in the wild ... be that critters or folks.

Aug 10, 2022 at 08:02 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sittin ...

beavens wrote:
Gonna go with a negative on the photo bomb - those are when someone intentionally inserts themselves into the pic. This seems to just be someone in the background.

My question for Kent is what he's going for in #1 - that will help drive any commentary.

2 is a nice, happy capture. I could see bringing up the shadows to see the face better, since all the light is behind the boy.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

The intent was to capture a quiet moment. The position of the gentleman behind the structure was just taking it for what it was, no specific aspect to that really. One of those, may not be "perfect", but don't let that deter you. Ya just never know how it'll play.

Aug 10, 2022 at 08:08 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sittin ...

Shasoc wrote:
The first image doesn't work for me, Kent. It doesn't look intentional. I would move that guy away from the pole, play with the lighting, a bit of clockwise rotation and crop some from the right side.

In the second I am with Jeff. Brightening the face will lead the viewer's eyes away from the bright Crocs shoes the kid is wearing. Toning those down would also help. Don't know if it's lens distortion but the side wall looks like is bent downwards.

Socrate

+1 that the first one isn't "ideal" ... but, I didn't want to influence the scene any, so I took it as found.

As to the wall, it is slanted (part of a bridge).

Aug 10, 2022 at 08:10 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password