Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Something really different (for me anyway)

EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Something really different (for me anyway)

As usual, looking for critique. For now, won't say anything else.

Don

Canon EOS R5    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens    400mm    f/22.0    1/800s    3200 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Canon EOS R5    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens    400mm    f/18.0    1/800s    1250 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Aug 08, 2022 at 10:37 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Something really different (for me anyway)

Can't place this one. Has some attributes that makes me think of X, but then has other attributes that make me think of Y. Yup, I'm stumped.

Of course, it is more in the realm of abstract, lines, shape, form, etc. Still, curious to know what's behind it ... and then you objective(s).

Aug 08, 2022 at 11:13 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Something really different (for me anyway)

Looks like ice, to me.

Aug 09, 2022 at 02:30 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Something really different (for me anyway)

I have never seen ice look like that. Nor wood. That leaves manmade or rock. I go with rock. That leaves another puzzle. Why the high f stops for what appears to be a flat surface? Anyway I go with rock. I would guess Don went with B&W so that the red colors of the rock would not give it away.

Aug 09, 2022 at 06:01 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Something really different (for me anyway)

Camperjim wrote:
I have never seen ice look like that. Nor wood. That leaves manmade or rock. I go with rock. That leaves another puzzle. Why the high f stops for what appears to be a flat surface? Anyway I go with rock. I would guess Don went with B&W so that the red colors of the rock would not give it away.

I'm with Jim ... my mind wants to go with ice, but not. then progresses to others, and best I come up with is sedimentary formation, yet that still doesn't quite seem to fit, either for various reasons. I consider a double exposure of ice and rock, but am trying to see it as a single image first. Don did say "different" for him, so a double exposure would certainly fit that bill.

Aug 09, 2022 at 07:08 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Something really different (for me anyway)

I would go with ice and a bit more contrast.

Socrate

Aug 09, 2022 at 08:43 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Something really different (for me anyway)

And AuntiPode wins the prize! Succinct and spot on with the first correct answer.

These are ice photos taken on a small, shallow river in very late winter/very early spring. The thaw had started but then a cold snap followed, which created these interesting patterns. Something that was quite amazing to see was suspended ice formations. We had a lot of snow this winter, so the river became quite high with the snow melt runoff. Then the river froze over with the cold snap. Then the river dropped, as it continued to drain into a larger river. So there were areas where chunks of ice were suspended in the air on branches and one spot where I saw water drops on the underside of the ice (river ice with water lowered beneath it; the sun beating down on it).

To be more accurate, these ice formations were not on the river itself. The river flooded overland, creating pocket of water that also underwent the process described above, but without the drainage like the river. The above two pockets were next to the river. The reason for the high f-stops was because I couldn't get right above the ice without breaking it so I was shooting at a slight angle. Even so, I had to give a little extra PP attention to the bottom of the images as they were not quite as sharp as the rest of the images.

Now that the mystery has been revealed, critiques please.

Don

Aug 09, 2022 at 09:24 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Something really different (for me anyway)

Def was giving off the ice vibes and love the looks.

I could see more contrast and some deeper blacks, but also not.

Personally I would look to modify the comps to remove the slight OOF areas - they interfere with the flow for me.

Jeff

Aug 09, 2022 at 10:18 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Something really different (for me anyway)

Yeah Jeff, I really went back and forth on the contrast an eventually pulled back from a strong curve to a medium curve. There were still other changes that influenced contrast but this one slight pull back from heavy contrast SEEMED to be a good spot for achieving balance between artistic and overprocessed.

I did crop a bit of the slight OOF areas off but I stopped at points where I thought taking more would compromise the beauty and influence of the curves. Cropping more off the bottom of the first photo would cost me most of the curving lines coming out of the hole at the top of the image while cropping more off the bottom of the second photo would cost me curves and the "feature" in the bottom right corner. So this really piques more curiosity for me on what others think about the slight OOF areas taking focus away from the overall image vs losing some of the power of the curved lines at the bottom. I am open to any verbal suggestions or visual demonstrations of crop options.

I should mention I did add a linear gradient to the bottom of both these images where I applied some sharpening and a touch of extra contrast.

Don

Aug 09, 2022 at 06:02 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Something really different (for me anyway)

Camperjim wrote:
That leaves another puzzle. Why the high f stops for what appears to be a flat surface?

Jim, in answering this question, I did originally miss one thing. I knew that I couldn't get completely parallel to the plain of the ice so I increased the f-stop. I experimented with a wide variety of f-stops and as it turned out, the composition and features in these two shots, along with the degree of sharpness, are what appealed to me the most. I have to admit that I was surprised I didn't get a very sharp image corner to corner, given the great care and effort I went to in order to be as parallel as possible (without impacting the ice formations) and the increased f-stops. Of course, the shallow DOF with a 400mm FL at pretty much MFD would have something to do with that.

Don

Aug 09, 2022 at 07:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Something really different (for me anyway)

EverLearning wrote:
I did crop a bit of the slight OOF areas off but I stopped at points where I thought taking more would compromise the beauty and influence of the curves. Cropping more off the bottom of the first photo would cost me most of the curving lines coming out of the hole at the top of the image while cropping more off the bottom of the second photo would cost me curves and the "feature" in the bottom right corner. So this really piques more curiosity for me on what others think about the slight OOF areas taking focus away
...Show more

I totally get not wanting to screw with the curves/lines/etc. I'd honestly have to see it myself to really make the call.

.edit slightly tighter versions below that I hope still maintain your original vision. I've learned that comp is a pretty personal thing, so only can offer what feels "right" to my eyes.

Aug 09, 2022 at 08:55 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Something really different (for me anyway)

Don, you certainly fooled me. I still cannot imagine how ice could show those patterns. Only in Canada.

Aug 10, 2022 at 07:03 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Something really different (for me anyway)

Camperjim wrote:
Don, you certainly fooled me. I still cannot imagine how ice could show those patterns. Only in Canada.

It is quite something Jim. Early snowstorms, late snow storms, melts/freezes; all can make for some interesting photos. I try to remind myself to look for more than wildlife when I go looking for wildlife, .

Don

Aug 10, 2022 at 09:28 AM
grandmas
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Something really different (for me anyway)

EverLearning wrote:
As usual, looking for critique. For now, won't say anything else.

Don

Interesting photos! These are nice as is, but I might make small changes where the eye is drawn to the edges, and maybe contrast.

Edited on Aug 17, 2022 at 01:35 PM · View previous versions

Aug 10, 2022 at 12:41 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Something really different (for me anyway)

Thanks for the feedback Grandmas.

You raise an interesting point about brighter areas along the edges. Generally, it is something to be avoided (I will avoid the R word in hopes of keeping this thread on topic), but generally this is logical because normally the subject(s) is/are distinct and not along the edges. In these two photos, I consider the entire "canvas" to be the subject. The beauty of nature. The curves, textures and contrasts formed by a natural phenomenon. It is a rather difficult task to consciously try to be aware of where your eyes land first and where they then go without that "forced" awareness possibly altering where your eyes land first and where they then go! However, looking at the first photo as an example, I see two good possibilities for "first landing" - the bright area top 2/3 on the right 1/3 or the somewhat tear-dropped shape top center. If the former, I would think the eyes might flow left to right across the brighter areas horizontally crossing pretty much the whole photo, then back to the hole and then follow the lines out of the hole. OR, maybe the hole first, follow the lines and then back to the bright areas. The whole canvas is the subject and the hope is for exploration of the whole canvas. I am thinking the lines do lead the viewer through (almost) the whole image; especially given how they curve hard right through another part of the image (the main reason I am reluctant to crop further and lose those hard right curved lines). The naturally occurring variations in brightness are part of the mystery and wonder of such an image of nature. After some thought, it was this that lead me to accept and embrace these tonal variations; even along the edges of the image.

This was/is my thought process on embracing rather than taming edge brightness (and thoughts above for being reluctant to crop any more off the bottom). That is not to say my thinking on this is right nor my position immutable. I am most interested in feedback on this point from others as well as the images as a whole.

Don

Aug 10, 2022 at 02:51 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Something really different (for me anyway)

When I process, I usually consider how the image will look if printed. I think this would work fine as prints. Prints tend to have much less brightness than images viewed by transmitted light. Those of us who print also are much more likely to have monitors that are calibrated for viewing images. Uncalibrated monitors tend to be much brighter and also have a blue tint. Anyway, I think the processing here is good.

Aug 10, 2022 at 03:22 PM
grandmas
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Something really different (for me anyway)

EverLearning wrote:
Thanks for the feedback Grandmas.

You raise an interesting point about brighter areas along the edges. Generally, it is something to be avoided (I will avoid the R word in hopes of keeping this thread on topic), but generally this is logical because normally the subject(s) is/are distinct and not along the edges. In these two photos, I consider the entire "canvas" to be the subject. The beauty of nature. The curves, textures and contrasts formed by a natural phenomenon. It is a rather difficult task to consciously try to be aware of where your eyes land first and where
...Show more

Another thought is if you decide to print these you can put a dark mat around the photo and help keep the viewers eyes in the photo. I would not crop anymore either I like the composition as is. My eye does go to the spot I marked and has a tendency to stay there. Below I just did some quick cloning on it.

Edited on Aug 17, 2022 at 01:35 PM · View previous versions

Aug 10, 2022 at 03:40 PM
liftedspirit
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Something really different (for me anyway)

Camperjim wrote:

It happens quite a bit in the canyons of Utah as well. Andrew Barruffi and Ben Horne photograph it a good bit. If you head into the canyons in late fall - spring, you have a chance of seeing these types of figures. It's usually very thin ice in potholes that froze overnight.

Aug 11, 2022 at 11:58 AM
liftedspirit
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Something really different (for me anyway)

I love the second image. The apparent subject of the first - the pebble where the ice lines emanate is a bit too high in the composition for me, but the second has some beautiful wavy lines.

My first thought was these could use more contrast, but a second examination says I wouldn't want the blacks darker - maybe bring the whites/highlights up a bit, or perhaps more of a localized contrast on the curve with just the midtones.

But great job!

Aug 11, 2022 at 12:00 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password