New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Record floods in DV

GroovyGeek
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Record floods in DV

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/05/us/death-valley-national-park-flooding/index.html

If there were no debris slides in Bad water that may do wonders for resetting the salt fields. They were in a really sad state when I was there early this year.

Aug 06, 2022 at 06:15 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Record floods in DV

Challenges notwithstanding, this would have presented a rare opportunity for photographers already there.

Aug 07, 2022 at 03:38 AM
liftedspirit
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Record floods in DV

GroovyGeek wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/05/us/death-valley-national-park-flooding/index.html

If there were no debris slides in Bad water that may do wonders for resetting the salt fields. They were in a really sad state when I was there early this year.

I thought I read that Bad water road was damaged in areas, so I'm guessing there were some debris slides in that area.

I was there in February, and while timing can mean everything to the salt fields, I got nothing I was overly proud of on this trip from that area.

Aug 08, 2022 at 02:18 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Record floods in DV

I would expect a debris slide right were the parking lot is, but not somewhat further to the south, or at middle basin. The thing is that middle basin is off West Side Road which will be closed for many months. We shall see, October is close enough .

Aug 09, 2022 at 02:10 AM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Record floods in DV

Per the National Park site, all park roads are still closed and it seems like the weather's not through being nasty in the Panamint and Owens Valley areas, either.

Aug 09, 2022 at 04:04 PM
BidinTime
• •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Record floods in DV

Whether it's climate, weather or viruses, nature always bats last.

Aug 10, 2022 at 03:39 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Record floods in DV

I was not in Death Valley when that system came through. Instead, I was up high in the Ansel Adams wilderness in the Sierra Nevada, where we packed in and camped for a week of photography. A storm swept in on what I. presume was the same day — Thursday, 8/5 — that was like nothing I've ever experienced in the Sierra backcountry in decades.

Literally within seconds of getting a tent set up the sky let loose with a barrage of incredibly heave rain and heavy hail as lightning flashed and thunder boomed... for hours without pause. We were all caught in tents as water flowed the ground everywhere with literal creeks appearing where there was was. previously none of them.

At one point, thought the din of thunder and pouring rain/hail, we started to hear a low pitched road. The nearby main peak that we had waded hours before had become a raging river that had risen 4-5 feet (!) and was now thick brown with eroded sediment. The nearby lake water was still filled with sediment a week later!

I can only imagine what it must have been like in DEVA!

Dan

Aug 11, 2022 at 10:43 AM
tsinsf
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Record floods in DV

Dan, that sounds wild and a bit frightening. The Eastern Sierra has always had intermittant wild and dangerous weather. In 1983 my wife and I were living in Bishop. That winter had a massive snow fall. Tioga pass did not open until June 29. In May, during the peak snow melt and runoff season, there was an intense unseasonal rainfall.The dam at North Lake broke. All of us medical people got called into the hospital to treat potential flood victims because nobody really knew what to expect. Fortunately there was only minor flooding in West Bishop. The North Lake dam was rebuilt in a totally different style such that now you can't see a dam at all and there is a stream outlet. Yes, nature does always bat last. I kind of love that...

Aug 11, 2022 at 11:37 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Record floods in DV

tsinsf wrote:
Dan, that sounds wild and a bit frightening. The Eastern Sierra has always had intermittant wild and dangerous weather. In 1983 my wife and I were living in Bishop. That winter had a massive snow fall. Tioga pass did not open until June 29. In May, during the peak snow melt and runoff season, there was an intense unseasonal rainfall.The dam at North Lake broke. All of us medical people got called into the hospital to treat potential flood victims because nobody really knew what to expect. Fortunately there was only minor flooding in West Bishop. The North Lake dam
...Show more

I've been traveling to and around the Sierra (often in the backcountry) for decades. I've seen some pretty extreme weather and the aftereffects — winter storm winds that sounded like 747 engines on take-off, the wipe-out of Walker Canyon, the aftermath of the cataclysmic rockfall near Happy Isles in Yosemite Valley, the Yosemite Valley flooding, the spin-off from an early-September snowfall killed four in the backcountry the day after we went over Whitney....

But when it comes to the sudden onset of extended and stunningly heavy rainfall in the backcountry, this was one of the few times that I've actually worried whether out there on the fringe of what was possibly happening was the potential for very serious stuff. It was really amazing. And more than a bit intimidating.

Every so often, among all of those days that range between benignly beautiful and mildly exciting weather, every so often nature coughs up something that smacks up upside the head.

Dan

Edited on Aug 21, 2022 at 08:13 PM · View previous versions

Aug 11, 2022 at 12:11 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.