p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Black Bear Portraits from Prince William Sound, AK

Outstanding shots. Great job!

Aug 08, 2022 at 08:33 AM
dallvr
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Black Bear Portraits from Prince William Sound, AK

DivineFocus wrote:
Glad you enjoyed the post, Joshua. Yes the zoom was helpful. I could have moved in/out with the kayak but paddling with the double ended kayak paddle is a lot of motion when so close to the animals.
---------------------------------------------

Thanks for commenting. You can consider yourself and expert when you can tell the difference in the scat

Okay, not a scat expert yet, probably not ever!

Aug 08, 2022 at 10:06 AM
DivineFocus
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Black Bear Portraits from Prince William Sound, AK

rand1951 wrote:
Great work! Thanks for sharing, loved seeing the images with the Z9 using the 400mm 4.5 and then shots using the Sony with the 200-600mm. They were all excellent! The background with the Sony/200-600mm seemed to have the edge, what is your opinion? Loved the shots showing the area around the bear because of the location. Pretty hard to have too much lens with wildlife when there is enough light. First image was my favorite, but loved the close-ups too.

rand

Thanks for commenting, Rand. Don't infer too much from the comparison of these images. The PP wasn't the same on all. Notably I ran NR on some but not others counting on the downsampling to be adequate. The combination of high ISO values and confused BG(leaves, barnacles, gravel, etc) doesn't lend itself to pleasant BG rendering. With limited time/frames to-date I haven't formed an opinion yet on whether one system or the other has an edge in IQ.

Aug 08, 2022 at 11:37 AM
DivineFocus
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Black Bear Portraits from Prince William Sound, AK

Reaves_S wrote:
Outstanding shots. Great job!

Thanks so much.
---------------------------------------------

dallvr wrote:
Okay, not a scat expert yet, probably not ever!

Hopefully my tongue in cheek response was evident. I reckon the ratio of scat to bears that I've seen is around 1000/1 and I'm certainly still no expert. I'll be satisfied just not becoming part of it

We have a joke up here. You can tell brown bear scat by the pepper smell and the little jingle bells in it.

Aug 08, 2022 at 11:50 AM
dj_hess
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Black Bear Portraits from Prince William Sound, AK

Wonderful set of images. I too like the environmental shots (as others noted). Would be great if you shared some with fish as well.

Dave

Aug 08, 2022 at 12:30 PM
DivineFocus
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Black Bear Portraits from Prince William Sound, AK

dj_hess wrote:
Wonderful set of images. I too like the environmental shots (as others noted). Would be great if you shared some with fish as well.

Dave

Thanks, Dave. Preference for wider perspectives seems fairly universal. Or at least for a higher ratio of wide to closeup. I'm headed out of town but will certainly share more of the wider shots next week when I get back. Yes I've got shots of them with fish as well. In my experience to make a good photo the fish has to look good as well as the bear. When they're fishing these creeks that dump into deep water most of what they catch are the fish that have already spawned out and therefore aren't so attractive looking. But I think I captured one or two with reasonable looking fish.

Aug 08, 2022 at 03:03 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.