Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Apologies if this has been covered - A1 Compressed Raw S, M, L?

liggy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Apologies if this has been covered - A1 Compressed Raw S, M, L?

Hey all -

Has anyone tested the quality of the compressed files? I filled up a 128gb card today shooting the Blue Angels and was shooting JPEG + Compressed RAW which I believe is equivalent to the new compressed L files.

Wasn't sure if I should be choosing M or S for casual shooting purposes or if the IQ suffers prohibitively.
I didn't see anything here on it in a quickie search.

Thanks in advance!

Aug 05, 2022 at 07:29 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Apologies if this has been covered - A1 Compressed Raw S, M, L?

I honestly have yet to try it. But from a Pro seat I see no value really. Sure you maybe able to shoot faster but the A1 is lightning anyway. The only real benefit I see is saving SD space and even that is really just trying to save money instead of switching to a new card. Here is the rub to it all IMHO and I can certainly be argued against but what if you got the best shot you ever got and its only like a 20 mpx image and you may want to go really big with it. Ive been burned by this with lower MPX camera with a client. Sometimes it maybe a neat thing to do but im not so sure im convinced by it. One thing is I am NOT a spray shooter at 30 FPS at all. So that may explain my thinking

Aug 05, 2022 at 07:51 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Apologies if this has been covered - A1 Compressed Raw S, M, L?

I honestly just got back from a gig where we shot about 20 thousand images with the A1and the more important thing was using crop mode for the 300mm focal range that I needed so dropping it down even more was not the best solution. Now I won't go big here and the crop was certainly more important but I shot all Raw and processed every file and fast as heck too.

Aug 05, 2022 at 07:55 PM
liggy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Apologies if this has been covered - A1 Compressed Raw S, M, L?

GMPhotography wrote:
I honestly just got back from a gig where we shot about 20 thousand images with the A1and the more important thing was using crop mode for the 300mm focal range that I needed so dropping it down even more was not the best solution. Now I won't go big here and the crop was certainly more important but I shot all Raw and processed every file and fast as heck too.

Thanks - that puts things in perspective. I'm not used to filling up a 128gb card in a short period of time. For my casual shooting (the Blue Angels are in town!) the utmost in IQ isn't really necessary. I'm a pretty lazy shooter too so not super interested in processing every one of my images.

I think I'll just buy bigger cards.

Appreciate the viewpoints.

Aug 05, 2022 at 10:52 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password