Aug 06, 2022 at 10:34 AM
macentropist
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Skinny photographer wants your opinion on 600mm f4 IS II

Imagemaster wrote:
I never said it was.

Mia culpa Imagemaster, i misread.

It truly is not handhold-able, neither is the RF iteration!

Aug 06, 2022 at 10:41 AM
Z250SA
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Skinny photographer wants your opinion on 600mm f4 IS II

Considering that on an R7 the 100-500 will have a field of view, reach, of a 160-800mm lens, the main question is what a 600 f/4 can provide (background blur and minute IQ added). If it is important to handhold the lens, the 600 should be tested before buying. That weight does wear you down, if not the first hour, then the next or the fourth or the next day. We all have our limits, much depending on shooting style. And the 600 can be sold. Perhaps everyone should own one at some point in life? Or at least test one.

Aug 06, 2022 at 10:56 AM
Uarctos
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Skinny photographer wants your opinion on 600mm f4 IS II

Not all of us are created equal. The 600mmIII or the RF are easy to hand hold for a supertele shooter. The weight distribution is perfect.

Aug 06, 2022 at 12:08 PM
dorian
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Skinny photographer wants your opinion on 600mm f4 IS II

The 600/4 IS II is completely hand-holdable if one goes to a designated spot to something specific (i.e. ĎIím gonna walk out to that cliff and spend 2-3 hours clobbering Northern Gannets as they come and go from the colonyí or ĎI heard a Swainsonís Warbler in this thicket yesterday, so Iíve come back today to own ití). What one cannot do is wander around a huge reserve, hoping that a subject will spontaneously perch or fly-by; lugging an 8.5lb lens around without reasonable promise of decent results is not fun. That said, most keeper photos involve some amount of premeditation, and a 600 forces a photographer to plan ahead. But once the plan is implemented, nothing is a 600/4. Every shot in the galleries I linked below was captured handheld with the specified gear (90% with 600, 10% with 100-400). The only time I put my 600 on a tripod is at tropical set-ups where cloud prevails and the bird is artificially lured to a known perch. Handholding in every other instance yields immeasurable advantage over a tripod tether. Itís so easy to move three inches one way or four the other to get a perfect background if youíre hand holding, and flight work is so much more fun when you can readily respond to what a bird does on the wing. And donít even get me started on the benefits of crawling for low-level work. If I did more low light shooting I might feel differently, but I generally shelve the camera and go old skool birding on days when the light sucks. Point is this - if you dial down on a species or two and go after them with a knowledge of their habitat and behavior, then handholding the 600 is a killer strategy. However, if one drives to a random reserve for the first time, parks the car, and starts wandering around aimlessly, then they will have mostly sore arms to show at the end of the morning. My advice is always to get the longest and fastest lens one can hand-hold. If thatís a 600, then great. If not, get whatever is manageable. For the record, Iím male, 43 y/o, 5í10í, and 190lbs, so I understand hand-holding a 600 might be more of an issues for others.

https://www.dorianandersonphotography.com/Recent-Work-early-2022/

https://www.dorianandersonphotography.com/Yearly-Favorites/2021-Favorites/

https://www.dorianandersonphotography.com/Yearly-Favorites/2020-Favorites/

Edited on Aug 07, 2022 at 03:41 PM · View previous versions

Aug 06, 2022 at 01:39 PM
jpeter
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Skinny photographer wants your opinion on 600mm f4 IS II

I have a 100400f5.6 and 500f4v2. Two lenses for different kinds of days. 100400 is a joy to walk with and get quick shots. What i use for warblers. 500 is more premeditated use. Always have it in backpack and carry tripod. Not a joy to handhold in my opinion. 500f4 is a good choice for a big white. Jp

Aug 06, 2022 at 01:52 PM
Dave_E
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Skinny photographer wants your opinion on 600mm f4 IS II

I owned the 500 F4 VII for several years but just wanted more reach, I was never real happy with it and the 1.4TC, so I ordered a RF 600 F4 for use with my R5 because it was supposed to be great with both TC's ( I am happy) I mostly use it with a tripod or monopod. I was going on a snowy owl trip and the RF 600 hadn't arrived so I rented a EF 600F4 VII for use on a tripod and was really pleased with the results , but it was too heavy to handheld for me. I also have the RF 100-500 which is really great with and without the TC's, when you have the light. But you can't beat the 600 F4. I think the EF 600 F4 VII is as sharp as the RF but you're paying big bucks for the weight differential of the RF version.

Dave

Aug 06, 2022 at 03:58 PM
macentropist
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Skinny photographer wants your opinion on 600mm f4 IS II

I think the bottom line on both the 500 and 600 f4, inclusive of the new RF 600 f4, is building a known perch, and patience to wait!

2 pence, as hanholding sucks!

Ymmv

Aug 06, 2022 at 09:20 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Skinny photographer wants your opinion on 600mm f4 IS II

Handheld with no stinking 400 f2.8, 500 f4, or 600 f4.

Non-captive.

Canon EOS R7    RF100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM lens    400mm    f/8.0    1/20s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 06, 2022 at 11:10 PM
macentropist
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Skinny photographer wants your opinion on 600mm f4 IS II

Ok Imagemaster, you are good eh! Few will doubt that, I still prefer Sechelt inlet, or Powell.

Aug 07, 2022 at 12:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Herb
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Skinny photographer wants your opinion on 600mm f4 IS II

Come hang around with me, i can get you bulked up by 50 pounds no problem!

Aug 07, 2022 at 01:27 AM
macentropist
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Skinny photographer wants your opinion on 600mm f4 IS II

We live in good times.

Aug 07, 2022 at 01:56 AM
crisdesign

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Skinny photographer wants your opinion on 600mm f4 IS II

Hereís an idea try to tape some bottles of water to your sigma until you get close to the 600 ii weight. Itís not going to be the same as the weight distribution will be different. But you can get a rough feel if you are able to hand held it.

My experience is that the 500 is too heavy for me to handheld, you can use bean bags etc but is not as having it on a gimbal. Also (obviously) with a prime you canít zoom out to start tracking your subject.

I find that for birds to get an interesting pose (not something just perched) you need to prefocus and anticipate landing and take offs, that means holding your lens in position for a very long time.

The 500 ii is lighter and just recently discontinued so it might be easier to find parts.

Aug 07, 2022 at 07:07 AM
tetsu

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Skinny photographer wants your opinion on 600mm f4 IS II

Yeah, I was thinking about doing this! Thanks for the advice!

crisdesign wrote:
Hereís an idea try to tape some bottles of water to your sigma until you get close to the 600 ii weight. Itís not going to be the same as the weight distribution will be different. But you can get a rough feel if you are able to hand held it.

My experience is that the 500 is too heavy for me to handheld, you can use bean bags etc but is not as having it on a gimbal. Also (obviously) with a prime you canít zoom out to start tracking your subject.

I find that for birds to get an interesting
...Show more

Aug 07, 2022 at 07:54 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Skinny photographer wants your opinion on 600mm f4 IS II

I have one and have handheld it lots for shooting polar bears off a moving tundra buggy and grizzlies/whales off a boat [monopod, tripod don't work well in these situations because motor and wave and people movement is instantly transferred to the lens]. Its best to use the body for shock absorbing.

Typically when the scene is good I have handheld for about 15 minutes. It is tiring and sometimes I miss a shot when I take a rest and bring it back up. But adrenaline takes care of my fatigue when the pictures are good.

It takes the 1.4x very well.

It is also pretty heavy and long to swing around and find the subject.

I have the 200-400 flip in 1.4x and it is way more relaxing (lighter and shorter) to use for grizzlies and the zoom is fantastic because the bears keep moving and its hard to move the vehicle.

But when the distances are long, the 600 v2 is my lens of choice.

Aug 08, 2022 at 07:07 AM
tetsu

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Skinny photographer wants your opinion on 600mm f4 IS II

Great answers guys, thank you!

Aug 08, 2022 at 09:29 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Skinny photographer wants your opinion on 600mm f4 IS II

Herb wrote:

50 pounds of fat or muscle

Aug 08, 2022 at 09:57 AM
tetsu

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Skinny photographer wants your opinion on 600mm f4 IS II

Herb wrote:

, thanks for your advice, Iīm working on it, going to the gym already, gained lots of muscle but now focusing on gaining weight!

Aug 08, 2022 at 12:01 PM
tetsu

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Skinny photographer wants your opinion on 600mm f4 IS II

Sharing two photos from yesterday while testing my new R7 and the 800mm f11.

957A6234-CR3_DxO_DeepPRIME by Yluux, on Flickr

957A6462-CR3_DxO_DeepPRIME by Yluux, on Flickr

Aug 08, 2022 at 12:24 PM
crteach
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Skinny photographer wants your opinion on 600mm f4 IS II

Nice shots!

Aug 08, 2022 at 01:11 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end