New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

advice on bag

chiron
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · advice on bag

I am looking for a very lightly padded shoulder bag to be worn cross body. I would like it to be no larger than necessary but large enough to carry two Sony bodies with medium sized lenses mounted plus on additional medium sized lens. It should be possible to quickly grab either body and then to easily put it back. It is for walking around a city. Padding should be minimal, but there should be some kind of partition to keep the two bodies-with-lenses and the extra lens separated. No slings or backpacks. Any suggestions?

Aug 05, 2022 at 01:39 PM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · advice on bag

This is one of the bags I use when I am carrying a small kit
https://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-GearUp-Creator-Mirrorless-Camera/dp/B089Q771CP

XL version at B&H

I can comfortably fit
- a1 + 70-200mm f/2.8 GM ii mounted
- extra lens such as a 24-70mm f/2.8 GM
- extra battery, wallet, filters, etc

I was also able to carry
- a1 + 70-200mm f/2.8 GM ii
- a6600 + 16-55mm G
- 1.4x TC

Edited on Aug 05, 2022 at 04:02 PM · View previous versions

Aug 05, 2022 at 01:53 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · advice on bag

saaketham wrote:
This is one of the bags I use when I am carrying a small kit
https://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-GearUp-Creator-Mirrorless-Camera/dp/B089Q771CP

I can comfortably fit
- a1 + 70-200mm f/2.8 GM ii mounted

I was also able to carry
- a1 + 70-200mm f/2.8 GM ii
- a6600 + 16-55mm G
- 1.4x TC

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/613KDiRJ4JL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Thanks, but I am looking for something to carry two camera bodies and a lens in a shoulder style bag so that each camera body can be reached quickly. I want the bag to be very lightweight and flexible with minimal padding.

Aug 05, 2022 at 02:13 PM
wordfool
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · advice on bag

I use a Peak Design 10l sling (V1), which although called a "sling" is really more of a messenger-style cross-body bag IMO (at least that's how I use it). I usually use it to carry an A1 with 100-400, but it could easily fit two bodies with smaller lenses using the velcro internal dividers, and the design of the lid opening away from you plus the easily adjustable strap makes it very easy to work out of without having to remove it. Padding is there but not excessive, keeping it relatively low profile.

I also occasionally use a small messenger bag (older Trakke Bairn V1) with an ApeCase insert in it for when I have a smaller set up. And I also bought a Wotancraft Pilot 10l, which is a nice, retro-style bag that'll carry two bodies easily but I still prefer my old Peak Design Sling.

Aug 05, 2022 at 02:29 PM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · advice on bag

chiron wrote:
Thanks, but I am looking for something to carry two camera bodies and a lens in a shoulder style bag so that each camera body can be reached quickly. I want the bag to be very lightweight and flexible with minimal padding.

You can have 2 bodies (in my case, a1 and a6600) with both having a lens mounted, and have easy access to both.
Cameras will be resting, facing up, with lenses mounted, and you grab the camera/lens by the lens.
The product photo I linked is not doing the bag justice.
I also had a 1.4X TC below the camera with the shorter lens (24-70) attached.
If you find it in a local store, you'll see what I mean. It's lightweight, padded just enough and to be used as a shoulder bag.

Also .. the bag opens from the top. You don't have to open it all the way like shown in the photo.
There's a strap that prevents the whole thing from opening, unless you really want to.

This guy explains it at minute 6:25 of this video (the XL version of this bag fits 2 cameras and 2 lenses)

Edited on Aug 05, 2022 at 04:00 PM · View previous versions

Aug 05, 2022 at 02:59 PM
smpetty
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · advice on bag

Great find - only $38 on Amazon!

Aug 05, 2022 at 03:37 PM
johnvanr
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · advice on bag

I like the Wotancraft Pilot bags. I guess the 10l version should be able to accommodate two bodies side by side.

Aug 05, 2022 at 03:40 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · advice on bag

I can do that in my Peak Design 10. Now my PD 3 is a little small for my A7c and 16/35 and 50 so I may get another 5D but for the A1,70-200 extra body and lens the 10 is perfect

Aug 05, 2022 at 03:53 PM
jmmaher
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · advice on bag

I use this one and like it.
https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/mindshift-gear/products/photocross-13

Aug 05, 2022 at 03:56 PM
itai195
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · advice on bag

I use a peak design sling for this kind of thing, but in shoulder bags I like the Think Tank Retrospective series. They have basically no padding - they are stylistically similar to Domke bags but better designed I think. https://www.thinktankphoto.com/pages/shoulder-bags

Aug 05, 2022 at 06:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

liggy
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · advice on bag

johnvanr wrote:
I like the Wotancraft Pilot bags. I guess the 10l version should be able to accommodate two bodies side by side.

+1 on the Wotancraft bags. I'm using the older ones - the Scout and the Avenger. The Pilot is the current version. Completely dig the look and the functionality.

Aug 06, 2022 at 01:16 AM
ftllens
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · advice on bag

I recommend the Tenba DNA Slim series or the Wotancraft, both will look great in NYC lol

Aug 06, 2022 at 01:44 AM
mojoh

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · advice on bag

chiron wrote:
Any suggestions?

I’d recommend..
https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/shoulder-bags/products/vision-15

Vision 15 Interior Dimensions: 15.3” Width x 9.8” Height x 5.1” Depth

- A7C + Batis 85 (no hood) mounted is about 4” H x 5” W x 7” D
- A7C: 5” W x 3” H x 2.5” D
- Batis 85 & 18: 4” diameter x 4” L
- 16-35/4 ZA: 3” diameter x 4” L

Placement
- 5" W + 5" W of two cameras + 2 dividers occupies about 11" of 15.3" W of bag (about 4" W left for 3rd lens)
- 4" H of camera fits 5.1" D of bag
- 7" D of camera w lens fits 9.8" H of bag

So 2 bodies w 2 lenses mounted + 1 lens should fit inside the Vision 15

Aug 06, 2022 at 06:54 AM
TheEmfinger

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · advice on bag

https://www.pgytech.com/products/onego-shoulder-bag?variant=42307127148794

I’m a big fan of my PGYTech Backpack, and they recently came out with slings in smaller sizes. I’m not sure the details on fitting two bodies, but they have very nice materials and well thought out layouts, and look better than most camera bags in my opinion.

Aug 06, 2022 at 07:08 AM
ross attix
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · advice on bag

Whatever you buy, you will end up changing your mind and trying something else. It is the photographers’ curse. Everything I own is either too big, too little, or too heavy at any given time.

Aug 06, 2022 at 07:52 AM
chiron
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · advice on bag

ross attix wrote:
Whatever you buy, you will end up changing your mind and trying something else. It is the photographers’ curse. Everything I own is either too big, too little, or too heavy at any given time.

So true.

Aug 06, 2022 at 08:34 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · advice on bag

It’s a given you will change your mind. Never counted but I must of bought about 300 bags over the course of my career. Sick Bastard. Lol

Aug 06, 2022 at 08:41 AM
chiron
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · advice on bag

GMPhotography wrote:
It’s a given you will change your mind. Never counted but I must of bought about 300 bags over the course of my career. Sick Bastard. Lol

You have me beat by a major multiple. But I still have a lot of bags in perfect condition that I don't use.

Right now, I want something minimal, soft-sided and flexible and just big enough for two bodies and a lens (and I guess some corners to tuck batteries, etc.). I rigged up something last night using an old lightweight messenger bag and a bag insert. This may work very well for me. And it didn't cost me anything new because I had the stuff already. Pics below.

It helps that the two camera bodies ae A7C bodies. But even so, there are two bodies and five lenses in a bag that is only 14 inches long, 10 inches high, and 4 inches wide. The whole outfit is surprisingly light. There is protection for the unmounted lenses against abrasions or mild bumps but only modest protection for a real hard bang, say from a hammer wielded by a madman. But I have never really had one of those with my camera gear while traveling.

Aug 06, 2022 at 11:24 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · advice on bag

Nice the trick I think is the ability to stack so a few Brands can do that. Tenna, PD, THink tank and maybe a few others but like you did is using different inserts in other bags is a good trick

Aug 06, 2022 at 11:41 AM
BlueBomberTurbo
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · advice on bag

I use this:
https://www.vanguardworld.com/collections/photography-bags/products/veo-go34m-bk

Regularly carries my A7 III + MC-11 + Tamron 15-30 VC and A7R II + Samyang 85/1.4 with hood attached, both with palm grips, along with batteries, lens wipes, masks, remote release, etc. If I arrange the cameras so the grips are facing each other, there's room for a third lens in between.

I was purposely looking for the slimmest bag that could carry a combo like this, and this bag seems to be the best to fit that role. No removable padded insert to add to the bulk, top zipper opens towards you and has an additional top center zipper for a different way to access, 2 layer storage on front with a strapped cover, zipped storage on back with what looks like slots to slip in belt pouches below it, and a side access zipper for its intended use (holding a small Veo tripod at the bottom). Also, it has a very solid bottom pad that keeps the bag in shape and protects things when you put the bag down harder than you should. I bent it in half long ways to make the bag even slimmer and more body conforming, without hurting the level of protection. Build quality is fine, using the typical ballistic nylon and nylon straps, with strong stitching.

If there was one negative I'd give it, it's the strap. It's non-removable, but you can cut that off, put some D-rings on, and add the strap of your choice if needed. The included strap is fine, though, but I like the extra padded one from my Think Tank Suburban Disguise 30 bag (what the Veo replaced) instead. I'll admit that it's low on extra storage (more pockets inside and out), but I can carry what I need (huge front and rear pockets), so it's not a problem for me.

Aug 06, 2022 at 05:42 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password