Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cactus Bloom

Shot with the D FA 50Macro on the K1.

Aug 05, 2022 at 08:07 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cactus Bloom

"TNC", this is a wonderful subject for B&W!!!!
My only suggestion is to maybe increase the detail in the petals for more translucency and some texture. Cropping more? I really can't say either way. More your decision.
I think the sharp edges, black to white-white to black, are excellent!
I could go into more b&w theory but don't want to bore you.
What you have here, IMHO, is excellent!
Dan

Aug 05, 2022 at 09:44 AM
tomandmarj
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cactus Bloom

super processing and captures. I am not sure about Dan's idea of trying for more sharpness. I really like the 'feel' they present now. I would have to see the two versions side-by-side. but over all Beautiful.
stay well, tom

Aug 05, 2022 at 10:05 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cactus Bloom

I like the way you shot this as it is instead of trying to rotate or some other interpretation. I much prefer the first with a lot less negative space. Nice subtle treatment of the whites. Well done!

My only suggestion based on how I would treat this would be to slightly burn the transitions leading out of the frame top and bottom just to give it more "finished" look by softening the hard edges.

Cheers!
Greg

Aug 05, 2022 at 10:11 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cactus Bloom

tomandmarj wrote:
super processing and captures. I am not sure about Dan's idea of trying for more sharpness. I really like the 'feel' they present now. I would have to see the two versions side-by-side. but over all Beautiful.
stay well, tom

That is fine Tom! Feeling gud here also. I would also see side-by-side....... My opinions are very flexable! But really the composition can stand alone! Just a thought!
The sharpness I am speaking about is the "veigning" within the petal itself. Over all as you say! Well done!

Dan

Aug 05, 2022 at 11:31 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cactus Bloom

gregfountain wrote:
I like the way you shot this as it is instead of trying to rotate or some other interpretation. I much prefer the first with a lot less negative space. Nice subtle treatment of the whites. Well done!

My only suggestion based on how I would treat this would be to slightly burn the transitions leading out of the frame top and bottom just to give it more "finished" look by softening the hard edges.

Cheers!
Greg

This also!

Aug 05, 2022 at 11:35 AM
StephenS_CP
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cactus Bloom

I prefer the first, vertical image. I feel it tends more to the aesthetic rather than the detail/technical. I think it would do better in a framed print than the 2nd.

Aug 05, 2022 at 01:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jim Dockery
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cactus Bloom

I'm with Stephen on the first,and Dan on more detail (and I'd add a tad brightness) on the flowers. Love the edge of the cactus. Well done as they are though.

Aug 07, 2022 at 08:52 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cactus Bloom

I prefer the energy in the light of #2 on the flower and composition of the vertical. There may be a happy in-between with straight up vertical or leaning inward for the comp? Nice edge lighting on the stem and a solidly nice B&W.

Karl

Aug 07, 2022 at 09:00 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cactus Bloom

Call me crazy but I love the neg space in #2 and I adore the edge lighting on the cactus.

Jeff

Aug 07, 2022 at 09:39 AM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cactus Bloom

TNCasual,
Composition of the first with the ranges of luminosity of the second is my preferred. However, you did a good study of single light source in both images.
Jim

Aug 08, 2022 at 02:01 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Cactus Bloom

beavens wrote:
Call me crazy but I love the neg space in #2 and I adore the edge lighting on the cactus.

Jeff

You're crazy Jeff

You asked!

Cheers Bud!

Aug 08, 2022 at 02:49 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Cactus Bloom

gregfountain wrote:
You're crazy Jeff

You asked!