Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

  

Cactus Bloom

  
 
TNCasual
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cactus Bloom






Shot with the D FA 50Macro on the K1.



Aug 05, 2022 at 08:07 AM
Danpbphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cactus Bloom


"TNC", this is a wonderful subject for B&W!!!!
My only suggestion is to maybe increase the detail in the petals for more translucency and some texture. Cropping more? I really can't say either way. More your decision.
I think the sharp edges, black to white-white to black, are excellent!
I could go into more b&w theory but don't want to bore you.
What you have here, IMHO, is excellent!
Dan



Aug 05, 2022 at 09:44 AM
tomandmarj
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cactus Bloom


super processing and captures. I am not sure about Dan's idea of trying for more sharpness. I really like the 'feel' they present now. I would have to see the two versions side-by-side. but over all Beautiful.
stay well, tom



Aug 05, 2022 at 10:05 AM
gregfountain
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cactus Bloom


I like the way you shot this as it is instead of trying to rotate or some other interpretation. I much prefer the first with a lot less negative space. Nice subtle treatment of the whites. Well done!

My only suggestion based on how I would treat this would be to slightly burn the transitions leading out of the frame top and bottom just to give it more "finished" look by softening the hard edges.

Cheers!
Greg




Aug 05, 2022 at 10:11 AM
Danpbphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cactus Bloom


tomandmarj wrote:
super processing and captures. I am not sure about Dan's idea of trying for more sharpness. I really like the 'feel' they present now. I would have to see the two versions side-by-side. but over all Beautiful.
stay well, tom

That is fine Tom! Feeling gud here also. I would also see side-by-side....... My opinions are very flexable! But really the composition can stand alone! Just a thought!
The sharpness I am speaking about is the "veigning" within the petal itself. Over all as you say! Well done!

Dan




Aug 05, 2022 at 11:31 AM
Danpbphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cactus Bloom


gregfountain wrote:
I like the way you shot this as it is instead of trying to rotate or some other interpretation. I much prefer the first with a lot less negative space. Nice subtle treatment of the whites. Well done!

My only suggestion based on how I would treat this would be to slightly burn the transitions leading out of the frame top and bottom just to give it more "finished" look by softening the hard edges.

Cheers!
Greg


This also!





Aug 05, 2022 at 11:35 AM
StephenS_CP
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cactus Bloom


I prefer the first, vertical image. I feel it tends more to the aesthetic rather than the detail/technical. I think it would do better in a framed print than the 2nd.


Aug 05, 2022 at 01:41 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Jim Dockery
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cactus Bloom


I'm with Stephen on the first,and Dan on more detail (and I'd add a tad brightness) on the flowers. Love the edge of the cactus. Well done as they are though.


Aug 07, 2022 at 08:52 AM
Karl Witt
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cactus Bloom


I prefer the energy in the light of #2 on the flower and composition of the vertical. There may be a happy in-between with straight up vertical or leaning inward for the comp? Nice edge lighting on the stem and a solidly nice B&W.

Karl



Aug 07, 2022 at 09:00 AM
beavens
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cactus Bloom


Call me crazy but I love the neg space in #2 and I adore the edge lighting on the cactus.

Jeff




Aug 07, 2022 at 09:39 AM
James Markus
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cactus Bloom


TNCasual,
Composition of the first with the ranges of luminosity of the second is my preferred. However, you did a good study of single light source in both images.
Jim



Aug 08, 2022 at 02:01 PM
gregfountain
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Cactus Bloom


beavens wrote:
Call me crazy but I love the neg space in #2 and I adore the edge lighting on the cactus.

Jeff



You're crazy Jeff

You asked!

Cheers Bud!



Aug 08, 2022 at 02:49 PM
beavens
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Cactus Bloom


gregfountain wrote:
You're crazy Jeff

You asked!

Cheers Bud!




Always a pleasure, Greg!



Aug 08, 2022 at 08:39 PM







FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password