New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Another PC build thread.....

mdees88
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Another PC build thread.....

Ho1972 wrote:
I think you did well. The 5900X is reported to run cooler than the 5800X, although people will argue the point. 64 GB of RAM is the safe move. Up until my latest build I always maxed out the memory, but even I couldn't see my way clear to installing 128. 😛

With regard to putting everything on one SSD, you might consider partitioning it temporarily until you get a data drive or two. I offload everything I can data-wise from the OS disk: Documents, Downloads, Videos, Pictures, etc. and obviously all my RAW files and edits. All that is spread
...Show more
Thanks. That was one of the reasons for upgrading to the 5900X. I just read up on partioning and that sounds like an excellent idea. Basically creating two separate drives on one SSD to prevent accidently formatting the OS. I will definitely do this. How much space would you allocate for the OS on a 2TB disk? 250-500? Also since flight simulator is a program would it typically be stored with the OS?

Aug 11, 2022 at 03:36 PM
Ho1972
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Another PC build thread.....

mdees88 wrote:
How much space would you allocate for the OS on a 2TB disk? 250-500? Also since flight simulator is a program would it typically be stored with the OS?

If you have a Win10 install now that you basically plan to replicate on your new computer, see how much space it's using and add 150 GB for the flight sim to get a rough idea. I'm guessing that 500 GB will end up being a good number and that still leaves most of the drive for your data partition.

Aug 11, 2022 at 06:28 PM
Unclejoe1116
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Another PC build thread.....

mdees88 wrote:
[So I went with 64g of ram and the Ryzen 9 5900X. I stayed air cooled but upgraded to the NH-D15 dual tower model.

Nothing wrong with Noctua at all. the NH-D15 is pretty much the best cooler for a reason. Only note is to be careful when you're moving the PC. Probably best to turn it on it's side for any serious moves, so the motherboard isn't over-stressed. (I've got the R9-5900X myself. It's a fantastic chip, and is a great balance between price and performance.)

mdees88 wrote:
I went with one 2TB card for everything for now.

That's a pretty solid plan. Just make sure you've got a decent backup in place. Ideally something that's not in the same computer. The 2-disk NAS solutions are usually in the $150-250 price range, and are definitely worth it, especially when you look at the potential for Plex, encoding, and some other Docker options.

mdees88 wrote:
I'm not a big gamer but I would like to put flight simulator on here and it is 150G.

Yeah, there's pretty much nothing optimized about that game.

Aug 11, 2022 at 07:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Unclejoe1116
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Another PC build thread.....

dclark wrote:
Any info on E cores for AMD? Anything new in the Intel E cores?
Why 32GB with DDR5?

32 was mostly just for sparing his wallet haha
That being said, the prices are starting to come down some, which is encouraging.

I haven't heard anything about E-cores on AMD. Pretty sure the major add-on this year is RDNA2 integrated graphics on pretty much all the chips.

I haven't seen much from Intel about redoing the E-cores. Everything seems to be just the refinement of the processes, full DDR5/PCIe5 integration, and maturation of the product line.

Given how competitive Intel was with their 1st gen P+E, decent chance I'm gonna swap back to Intel with another computer build this fall. (I usually only last about 20-24 months on my desktops lol)

Aug 11, 2022 at 07:42 PM
mdees88
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Another PC build thread.....

I got everything put together and it's up and running. Pretty straightforward and was kind of fun actually. I got the SSD partitioned to 500G for OS and 1.5T for everything else. Question... lightroom, photoshop, and topaz denoise... since they are applications they would go on the OS then I need to set my upload location to the other part of the SSD or HDD. Is this correct?

Edited on Aug 12, 2022 at 05:41 AM · View previous versions

Aug 12, 2022 at 02:27 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Another PC build thread.....

Yes, you could also consider putting your Lr catalog on the 1.5 partition.

Aug 12, 2022 at 03:52 AM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password