Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2022 · Another PC build thread.....

mdees88
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Another PC build thread.....

I used the search function and I'm feeling pretty good about the specs of this PC based on what I've seen in a few other builds and reading recommendations. I don't know a whole lot about building PC's but I've been brushing up recently. I have a friend who is PC savvy design me one in the $1500-1800 range. My primary uses would be lightroom, photoshop, topaz denoise, and also for editing video, specifically footage from my Canon R5. I don't plan on shooting in 8K raw but will be doing 4k 120. I really would like to have good playback on the footage when editing. Video will be 5% of use though. Primary watching youtube and photo editing, no serious gaming.

These are his recommendations, and I was hoping some knowledgeable people here could give me your thoughts on this setup.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor $284.14

Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler $79.95

MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard $169.99

G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory $199.99

Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $189.99

Seagate IronWolf NAS 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $149.99

Sapphire Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB NITRO+ Video Card $489.99

Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case $104.99

Corsair RM750 (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $119.99

Corsair ML120 75 CFM 120 mm Fans 2-Pack $58.18

It came in at $1850 and I am also considering going with the AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor instead for an extra $70. Thoughts on that too? Thanks....

Aug 05, 2022 at 05:40 AM
Ho1972
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Another PC build thread.....

If you're going with air cooling you might consider the 5700x instead of the 5800x. The former draws less power and performs only slightly less well. I'm running the 5600x on the same mobo with 64GB of G.Skill memory and have found the performance quite good for static image editing. I don't do video.

Aug 05, 2022 at 06:47 AM
dclark
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Another PC build thread.....

You can find lots of benchmark tests on the Puget Systems web site. https://www.pugetsystems.com/all_articles.php

Aug 05, 2022 at 09:47 AM
yberk

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Another PC build thread.....

Keep in mind that AMD's next gen CPUs with DDR5 support are coming out next month. Might be worth the wait if possible.

Aug 05, 2022 at 11:42 PM
Kalainen
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Another PC build thread.....

I'm no expert, but if you're going to work with video, I've understood that Intel processors with their Quick Sync technology are better investment than AMD currently. Same goes for the graphics card, nVidia is currently the choice in video circles. Google around more from Puget Systems, for example.

Aug 06, 2022 at 10:08 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Another PC build thread.....

Also if you're doing some video and want smooth playback in edit I would switch the NAS drive to a 4TB SSD (assuming that's where the files will be), maybe a pair in Raid 0 if you will need the 8TB.

Aug 06, 2022 at 10:26 AM
mdees88
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Another PC build thread.....

Good stuff guys, thanks for the comments. Video will be a pretty small use case but I think the best setup would be one ssd for OS then a second SSD as a scratch disk for the video files. I won't be making any documentary length videos, just a few short youtube videos. So for now I planned on using the 2T SSD for the OS and as a scratch disk when necessary for good playback (even though it's not the most efficient way to do that). Also planned on trying to use the 7200rpm HDD first and see how the playback goes but wasn't expecting it to work great on more difficult 4k files. The HHD was really there for cheap storage for my photos and completed files which will be my primary use.

Do yall think the 64g of ram is overkill? If I do 32G (2x16) I will have room on the mobo to upgrade to 64g if necessary.

In my research I did notice that Intel (with the internal gpu) and geforce are preferred for video. I was originally planning on an i9 CPU and a 3070 ti card but it added around 6 or700 hundred more to the build I think.

I'm just trying to get the best performance for my money and build a computer that will last me 3-5 years before it needs any upgrades. 95% photo and youtube, 5% video, little to no gaming. I'm really not a heavy user and I've been getting by on laptops but I just wanted a high performance desktop that will last a while. Will definitely consider all of your recommendations before buying though, and I appreciate the input.

Aug 06, 2022 at 05:54 PM
Iman113
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Another PC build thread.....

I have a similar build that I did last year. I used the AMD 5900x, with 64 g of ram, NVIDIA 3070, 1tb Samsung 980 m.2 OS drive. All air cooled.
Your configuration will work fine for your current and future needs.

Aug 06, 2022 at 07:56 PM
Kalainen
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Another PC build thread.....

mdees88 wrote:
Good stuff guys, thanks for the comments. Video will be a pretty small use case but I think the best setup would be one ssd for OS then a second SSD as a scratch disk for the video files. I won't be making any documentary length videos, just a few short youtube videos. So for now I planned on using the 2T SSD for the OS and as a scratch disk when necessary for good playback (even though it's not the most efficient way to do that). Also planned on trying to use the 7200rpm HDD first and see how
...Show more
The SSD's are a good investment - I would not take any hdd at this point into my computer anymore. I believe that currently the Kingston Fury Renegade's are the fastest. They also have a good endurance (PBW), which is something you might want to consider for your sctrach disk (it is written and deleted often, so it wears a bit). Seagate Firecuda's are also extreamly good in this.

When I built my pc couple of months ago, I came to conclusion that 64 Gb is an overkill, at least for photography. LR can use max around 25 Gb and with PS it's also difficult to get extreme amounts of use. Besides you can easily add more later and it will probably be cheaper then..

Aug 07, 2022 at 03:52 AM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Another PC build thread.....

mdees88 wrote:
Do yall think the 64g of ram is overkill? If I do 32G (2x16) I will have room on the mobo to upgrade to 64g if necessary.

It depends on your file size and how you use your software. I work with large composites in Photoshop and dabble in panos a bit, plus I like to have PS, LR, C1 and DxO all open at once. I can chew through 32GB in a couple of hours or less so 64 gives me breathing room to avoid scratch disk hell. Once you hit scratch it doesn't matter how fast your drive is, you're stuck in the mud.

If you opt for 32 (and most people will do fine with that amount) be aware that adding two more sticks of memory down the road can be tricky with AMD systems. At least that has been true historically, maybe they've sorted it out by now.

Aug 07, 2022 at 07:03 AM
Kalainen
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Another PC build thread.....

Ho1972 wrote:
If you opt for 32 (and most people will do fine with that amount) be aware that adding two more sticks of memory down the road can be tricky with AMD systems. At least that has been true historically, maybe they've sorted it out by now.

Same goes for Alder Lake systems, at least for now Asus motherboard supports just one particular brand of sticks if you want four of them. Really stupid, but that's just a way it is. I hope Asus will work on it for the Alder Lake..

Aug 07, 2022 at 07:31 AM
mdees88
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Another PC build thread.....

After doing more research it appears a best practice is to put only the OS on a single smaller SSD drive, then use another larger SSD drive for working files and as a scratch disk. Right now I have one 2TB SSD for OS and working files/scratch. Would it be wise to buy say a 500GB SSD also, just for the OS?

Aug 07, 2022 at 09:24 AM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Another PC build thread.....

mdees88 wrote:
Would it be wise to buy say a 500GB SSD also, just for the OS?

I've always found it better to separate the OS from data files (via partitions back in the day and now via dedicated drives) because it makes the backup process easier. OS and apps get imaged (e.g. Macrium) and data, which does not need to be imaged, gets copied to the backup locations (< note plural). With regard to scratch, enough RAM means you never need worry about it—well with Photoshop anyway, can't speak to video.

EDIT: I get by just fine with a 250GB drive for the OS.

Aug 07, 2022 at 09:50 AM
fotog255
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Another PC build thread.....

Yes, 64GB of ram is overkill. 32GB is fine.

Aug 09, 2022 at 04:01 AM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Another PC build thread.....

fotog255 wrote:
32GB is fine.

Until it's not. Not all workloads and use cases mirror your own.

Aug 09, 2022 at 03:00 PM
yberk

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Another PC build thread.....

32GB is probably the minimum for a workstation these days.

Aug 09, 2022 at 09:04 PM
Unclejoe1116
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Another PC build thread.....

How badly do you need a build right now? Can you wait a few months? AMD and Intel are both releasing their new CPUs this fall, and it might be worth waiting. Just to break down what those benefits are:
AMD: code-name Raphael, Sept. 15 launch - DDR5, PCIe5, AM5 (so future-proofing), and upwards of 15-35% performance gain.
Intel: code-name Raptor Lake, Q4 launch - DDR5, PCIe5, LGA 1700 (same as 12th gen, knowing Intel, probably changes next year), Thunderbolt 4, P+E core, upwards of 15-35% performance gain, some leaked benchmarks are upwards of 40-45%.

Worst-case, you can pick up some last-gen parts cheaper. Best-case, you get some really insane performance. For the first time in many years, it looks like we've got a fairly even match-up between Intel and AMD.

If you're doing video work, I'd consider sticking with Nvidia. AMF encoding is getting close, but NVENC still has the upper hand on software support.

For RAM, if you're going with DDR5, I'd stick with 32GB. If you stay with DDR4, jump to 64GB, and let all those Chrome tabs loose!

For hard drives, scrap any spinning rust in your computer, and get a decent NAS. Separate the system, and get a redundant drive, along with off-site backup. Splitting OS and work files is awesome too. I've got all my apps and OS on a 2TB m.2, then I've got all the photos for the year on a separate 2TB m.2. (Side-note, if you're planning on playing any games, some of those will eat up a bunch of space.) Depending on your files/camera file sizes/usage, you might be able to get away with 500+2TB, but in my experience, file sizes only go up with time.

Finally, I'd consider an AIO instead of an air cooler. Once you get above 15-1800, and with the amount of heat you'll be generating, you'll need more TDP headroom. It's the same cost as your NH-12S and the extra fans.

Aug 10, 2022 at 09:40 PM
dclark
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Another PC build thread.....

Unclejoe1116 wrote:
How badly do you need a build right now? Can you wait a few months? AMD and Intel are both releasing their new CPUs this fall, and it might be worth waiting. Just to break down what those benefits are:
AMD: code-name Raphael, Sept. 15 launch - DDR5, PCIe5, AM5 (so future-proofing), and upwards of 15-35% performance gain.
Intel: code-name Raptor Lake, Q4 launch - DDR5, PCIe5, LGA 1700 (same as 12th gen, knowing Intel, probably changes next year), Thunderbolt 4, P+E core, upwards of 15-35% performance gain, some leaked benchmarks are upwards of 40-45%.

Worst-case, you can pick up some last-gen
...Show more
Any info on E cores for AMD? Anything new in the Intel E cores?
Why 32GB with DDR5?

Aug 10, 2022 at 11:18 PM
mdees88
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Another PC build thread.....

Unclejoe1116 wrote:
How badly do you need a build right now? Can you wait a few months?

I actually ordered everything yesterday. I'm ready for a desktop as I don't have one, and my laptop can't handle 4k. I had to buy everything (mouse, keyboard, speakers, monitor, etc.). I've already gone over "budget" and as a light duty hobbyist I think this is way more computer than I need but it will be great to have.

So I went with 64g of ram and the Ryzen 9 5900X. I stayed air cooled but upgraded to the NH-D15 dual tower model. Instead of 500g for OS and 2Tb for the other I went with one 2TB card for everything for now. Then later I will add another 2TB card and move most things off the OS card. I'm not a big gamer but I would like to put flight simulator on here and it is 150G. Figured best not to limit myself with a 250 or 500G card and have room for two 2TB cards in the future.

I really appreciate all the input I received on this thread. Looking forward to putting this thing together as it is my first build.

Matt

Aug 11, 2022 at 06:22 AM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Another PC build thread.....

mdees88 wrote:
So I went with 64g of ram and the Ryzen 9 5900X. I stayed air cooled...

I think you did well. The 5900X is reported to run cooler than the 5800X, although people will argue the point. 64 GB of RAM is the safe move. Up until my latest build I always maxed out the memory, but even I couldn't see my way clear to installing 128. 😛

With regard to putting everything on one SSD, you might consider partitioning it temporarily until you get a data drive or two. I offload everything I can data-wise from the OS disk: Documents, Downloads, Videos, Pictures, etc. and obviously all my RAW files and edits. All that is spread over 10 TB of "spinning rust" 🙄 along with a 512 GB SSD for working images and associated files (caches and catalogs for LR and C1, etc.).

As I said previously, this data separation makes backups much easier and keeps you from losing files in your data stream that get changed or added to frequently. For example, back in the day when I had Documents et al. in their default locations on the OS drive, if I restored an image of the OS I could lose everything that had been added since the last image was made if I didn't take care to backup those data files first. I generally avoided that particular snafu (but not always) and it only takes one serious oh sh!t to make you rethink how you're doing things.

Aug 11, 2022 at 10:56 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.