2       end

Raw processing

NissanPatrol
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Raw processing

The original is faint because of fog

Dxo is the best but nx studio is not bad at all

Also DxO is minimum effort because I did not touch any slider (only selected deepPrime)

Original

NX - Studio

DxO photo lab 5

Aug 05, 2022 at 03:37 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Raw processing

I use DXOs NR capabilities in various ISO ranges for noise reduction. I rarely use deep prime. As fog and haze are environmental effects that I wish to reduce/control I prefer using the Clear View plus feature and slider in what I prefer.

Aug 05, 2022 at 03:55 AM
NissanPatrol
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Raw processing

sjms wrote:
I rarely use deep prime.

if you are not using deepPRIME so what DxO settings you use for denoising, prime or high quality?

Aug 05, 2022 at 04:46 AM
Paul_K
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Raw processing

Not an expert on post procesing, only have Nikon NX D, last time I use Photoshop - version 3.0 to be exact - was in 1995, also don't have / use DxO

So it's not exactly clear to me what you want to show with the images processed with different programs, as in my humble opinion they all look pretty much non processed

Although I don't have acces to the original RAW file, and instead just used the JPG file posted, I'm able to get a IMO much better result using Nikon Capture NX D doing, again IMO, despite the fog and not suing any kind of noise reduction, more justice to the image taken

Aug 05, 2022 at 05:38 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Raw processing

NissanPatrol wrote:
if you are not using deepPRIME so what DxO settings you use for denoising, prime or high quality?

i use any of the 3 levels appropriately. HQ when only a light level of denoising is needed. Prime when it requires a bit more finesse. and DeepPRIME when it more needs aggressive cleaning. there is no one method that does it w/o having other effects. you need to balance your visual output. and its done in raw

Edited on Aug 05, 2022 at 06:50 AM · View previous versions

Aug 05, 2022 at 05:56 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Raw processing

Paul_K wrote:
Not an expert on post procesing, only have Nikon NX D, last time I use Photoshop - version 3.0 to be exact - was in 1995, also don't have / use DxO

So it's not exactly clear to me what you want to show with the images processed with different programs, as in my humble opinion they all look pretty much non processed

Although I don't have acces to the original RAW file, and instead just used the JPG file posted, I'm able to get a IMO much better result using Nikon Capture NX D doing, again IMO, despite the fog
...Show more

it is a very small jpg to start with so there's little to work with

wish i had the raw to work with

Aug 05, 2022 at 05:58 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Raw processing

Sometimes an image can't be saved and discretion is the better part of valor. This is one of those times.

Aug 05, 2022 at 07:26 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Raw processing

haven't seen the original raw so i won't say its lost.

Edited on Aug 05, 2022 at 09:16 AM · View previous versions

Aug 05, 2022 at 07:43 AM
NissanPatrol
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Raw processing

Paul_K wrote:

Although I don't have acces to the original RAW file, and instead just used the JPG file posted, I'm able to get a IMO much better result using Nikon Capture NX D doing, again IMO, despite the fog
...Show more

Very good outcome

What I am trying to show?

Trying to get feed back if I can optimize my post processing further without looking artificial .

From the replies it is obvious there is room for improvement.

Aug 05, 2022 at 08:16 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Raw processing

Paul_K wrote:
...last time I use Photoshop - version 3.0 to be exact - was in 1995

Wow, I too started with that version. That was an entirely different way of editing. That was before layers were introduced in PS so you had to make versions and save them as you made changes. Very archaic compared to today's versions.

Aug 05, 2022 at 08:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Raw processing

i try to make my editing/finishing a simple as i can to get to the point of satisfaction.

i don't use about 80% of PScc today. but what i do use is what i feel i need.

Aug 05, 2022 at 09:11 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Raw processing

there are subtle differences between the two lower images

Aug 05, 2022 at 09:14 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Raw processing

2 sliders in LR give a better result than any of those AI tools (and I didn't even have the RAW), proving that knowing how to PP beats relying on AI. Take some time to learn and your photography will benefit greatly.

Aug 05, 2022 at 09:25 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Raw processing

what AI tools are you referring to?

Aug 05, 2022 at 09:34 AM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Raw processing

RoamingScott wrote:
2 sliders in LR give a better result than any of those AI tools (and I didn't even have the RAW), proving that knowing how to PP beats relying on AI. Take some time to learn and your photography will benefit greatly.

Programs like DXO Deep Prime provide only a starting point, as that just replaces your basic RAW conversion, and for that purpose it does a way better job than anyone could manage in Photoshop. If you don't do anything with the image after that, then you are still wasting your time. The idea is to use the best possible RAW converter, and then edit the resulting RAW image as normal. The AI tools are not meant to replace most normal processing steps, their value is in the conversion which they do far better than Adobe. If people are just batch processing their RAWs in DXO and leaving them alone after that, they are missing the point. It's not meant to be relied on for anything except the very first step in a normal processing workflow.

OP: If you want to make the RAW available somewhere for download it might be fun to see what we can get out of it.

Aug 05, 2022 at 12:44 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Raw processing

Interesting idea to make the RAW available. for download.

Aug 05, 2022 at 01:36 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Raw processing

CanadaMark wrote:
Programs like DXO Deep Prime provide only a starting point, as that just replaces your basic RAW conversion, and for that purpose it does a way better job than anyone could manage in Photoshop. If you don't do anything with the image after that, then you are still wasting your time. The idea is to use the best possible RAW converter, and then edit the resulting RAW image as normal. The AI tools are not meant to replace most normal processing steps, their value is in the conversion which they do far better than Adobe. If people are just batch
...Show more

Then I must be missing the point of this thread.

Aug 05, 2022 at 02:14 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Raw processing

i would say there is a chance of that.

Aug 05, 2022 at 02:21 PM
NissanPatrol
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Raw processing

bs kite wrote:
Interesting idea to make the RAW available. for download.

Unfortunately the raw file in a hard disk 1000 km away from where I am.

I will be there next Tuesday I will post it then after I find where to host it.

Aug 05, 2022 at 02:38 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Raw processing

i can wait

Aug 05, 2022 at 02:40 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password