Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
  

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       end
  
Top 5 Final Results - Featured Thread of the Week
1: A New Eruption in Iceland (UPDATED with photos) PollPollPoll 13 34%
2: Calm PollPollPoll 8 21%
3: Big Sur/ Lost Hills Oil Fields PollPollPoll 4 11%
4: Lonely nights on the Palouse PollPollPoll 3 8%
5: Zion Valley view from Observation Point PollPollPoll 2 5%
Total Votes 38 100%

A New Eruption in Iceland (UPDATED with photos)

  
 
Hathaway
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · A New Eruption in Iceland (UPDATED with photos)


Pays to have a friend with a helicopter! Amazing shots.


Aug 05, 2022 at 03:53 PM
c4change
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · A New Eruption in Iceland (UPDATED with photos)


So cool. Love the photos and video.


Aug 06, 2022 at 07:37 PM
40Driggs
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · A New Eruption in Iceland (UPDATED with photos)


This is an excellent series. You captured this magnificent event very well. Thanks for sharing!


Aug 06, 2022 at 11:05 PM
dakel
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · A New Eruption in Iceland (UPDATED with photos)


Great stuff Rajan. Very enjoyable series. Have you had a change to take anything during blue hour? Would love to see those too.


Aug 06, 2022 at 11:23 PM
Rajan Parrikar
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · A New Eruption in Iceland (UPDATED with photos)


stanparker wrote:
An incredible experience for sure. As always, your photography is outstanding.


---------------------------------------------

Hathaway wrote:
Pays to have a friend with a helicopter! Amazing shots.


---------------------------------------------

c4change wrote:
So cool. Love the photos and video.



---------------------------------------------

40Driggs wrote:
This is an excellent series. You captured this magnificent event very well. Thanks for sharing!


---------------------------------------------

dakel wrote:
Great stuff Rajan. Very enjoyable series. Have you had a change to take anything during blue hour? Would love to see those too.



Stan, Bob, c4change, Daniel, and Derrick - thank you.

Derrick - I flew again late on the same evening but we had to get back before the blue hour as Reykjavík Airport has a strict closing time. Sunset that evening was at 10:25 pm and the airport shuts down at 11. The design on the ground at the eruption site had already changed within a few hours with beautiful patterns carved by streaks and streams of lava. Those who hiked in in the days following have been able to get good drone footage which should be on YouTube.






Aug 07, 2022 at 11:19 AM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · A New Eruption in Iceland (UPDATED with photos)


Rajan Parrikar wrote:
Steve - as you know, for your métier Iceland is a gold mine (to mix metaphors).



I have been to Iceland twice and it is a treasure trove of geology in motion, and literaly a gold mine.

Little known is that there have been numerous gold and silver deposits located in Iceland. I don't think any have risen to the level of large scale production mining yet. Iceland is very protective of its mineral resources. It is illegal to take its famous Icelandic Spar (navigation stone/Calcite), any stone from a National Park, or Private Lands. So, basically rock collecting is mostly not possible to do in Iceland.



Aug 07, 2022 at 11:44 AM
beavens
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · A New Eruption in Iceland (UPDATED with photos)


Top notch work!!!!

Jeff



Aug 07, 2022 at 09:17 PM
Bill Gass
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · A New Eruption in Iceland (UPDATED with photos)


1bwana1 wrote:
I have been to Iceland twice and it is a treasure trove of geology in motion, and literaly a gold mine.

Little known is that there have been numerous gold and silver deposits located in Iceland. I don't think any have risen to the level of large scale production mining yet. Iceland is very protective of its mineral resources. It is illegal to take its famous Icelandic Spar (navigation stone/Calcite), any stone from a National Park, or Private Lands. So, basically rock collecting is mostly not possible to do in Iceland.

What was that Nat Geo show/Discovery of three girls and three guys on an island mining for gold, Iceland or Greenland ?

Which Island has the Rubies ?



Aug 08, 2022 at 08:52 AM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · A New Eruption in Iceland (UPDATED with photos)


Bill Gass wrote:
What was that Nat Geo show/Discovery of three girls and three guys on an island mining for gold, Iceland or Greenland ?

Which Island has the Rubies ?


I am not familiair with that gold mining show. I will try and find it because I always enjoy such things.

Greenland has the Ruby deposits. It has entirely different geologic structure, composition, and history, than Iceland. The rocks that the Rubies in Greenland is found is thought to be over 3 Billion years old. While Iceland is made up of some of the youngest rocks on Earth.

Generaly the Rubies there are of a low quality. They most often are heated at very high temperatures in a flux to heal fractures and attain a usable level of transluecency. Still they most often never result in a transparency suitable for faceting and are sold as cabachons.



Aug 08, 2022 at 09:13 AM
Bill Gass
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · A New Eruption in Iceland (UPDATED with photos)


1bwana1 wrote:
I am not familiair with that gold mining show. I will try and find it because I always enjoy such things.

Greenland has the Ruby deposits. It has entirely different geologic structure, composition, and history, than Iceland. The rocks that the Rubies in Greenland is found is thought to be over 3 Billion years old. While Iceland is made up of some of the youngest rocks on Earth.

Generaly the Rubies there are of a low quality. They most often are heated at very high temperatures in a flux to heal fractures and attain a usable level of transluecency. Still they
...Show more
Thanks for the info...I love finding rocks and rubies would be so neat...
.
That show I think was called Ice Cold Gold...I think that was the team of guys looking for rubies in Greenland.
.
Recently tho I was watching a show ( could be an old one with reruns ) of three woman, one redhead (very cute) and two sisters, and older fellow who was running the show and three other guys.



Aug 08, 2022 at 10:21 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

saaketham
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · A New Eruption in Iceland (UPDATED with photos)


WOW .. what an experience, Rajan
Although I hope there is no damage and loss of human or animal life



Aug 08, 2022 at 03:52 PM
Rajan Parrikar
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · A New Eruption in Iceland (UPDATED with photos)


beavens wrote:
Top notch work!!!!

Jeff


Thanks, Jeff.
---------------------------------------------

saaketham wrote:
WOW .. what an experience, Rajan
Although I hope there is no damage and loss of human or animal life


Anil - The eruption area is uninhabited but there are settlements nearby, including the international airport at Keflavík. The capital Reykjavík is just 20 miles away. There is unease in Iceland about this, the foreboding that we may not be lucky with future eruptions which are very likely to occur on Reykjanes peninsula. A big enough one may render the international airport inoperable. Discussion on planning for these type of scenarios has been inaugurated.




Aug 08, 2022 at 05:42 PM
fpervez
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · A New Eruption in Iceland (UPDATED with photos)


What a fantastic series of shots. What a great time to be there!


Aug 08, 2022 at 07:20 PM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · A New Eruption in Iceland (UPDATED with photos)




Bill Gass wrote:
Thanks for the info...I love finding rocks and rubies would be so neat...
.
That show I think was called Ice Cold Gold...I think that was the team of guys looking for rubies in Greenland.
.
Recently tho I was watching a show ( could be an old one with reruns ) of three woman, one redhead (very cute) and two sisters, and older fellow who was running the show and three other guys.



I know where we can dig better quality Rubies than they have in Greenland. A special spot in Africa. Could do some wildlife photography on the same trip.



Aug 12, 2022 at 09:44 PM
kdacharya
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · A New Eruption in Iceland (UPDATED with photos)


congrats, Rajan on the well deserved FTOW


Aug 12, 2022 at 11:15 PM
dalite
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · A New Eruption in Iceland (UPDATED with photos)


Amazing photos of this Dantean inferno.


Aug 12, 2022 at 11:33 PM
Scott Stoness
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · A New Eruption in Iceland (UPDATED with photos)


Fantastic set - and great photography out of the helicopter. Congratulations.

How difficult/dangerous is it to hike to a favourable spot for pictures. I presume one can rent a small helicopter?



Aug 14, 2022 at 10:42 AM
Rajan Parrikar
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · A New Eruption in Iceland (UPDATED with photos)


Scott Stoness wrote:
Fantastic set - and great photography out of the helicopter. Congratulations.

How difficult/dangerous is it to hike to a favourable spot for pictures. I presume one can rent a small helicopter?


Scott -

The hike takes around 5 hours roundtrip. Certainly not a walk in the park, it requires a base level of fitness although it is not a technical hike. There have been reports of broken ankles and other mishaps. As always, weather in Iceland can change on a dime. There is also the issue of gases emitted from the volcano that one needs to be aware of and watch for.

Yes, one can take helicopter group tours or charter a private flight although I suspect the demand right now far outstrips supply (Iceland is small, there are only 3 helicopter companies each with a limited number of birds).

Visitors have been doing some rather idiotic things at the site. See this -





Aug 14, 2022 at 11:00 AM
Ross Martin
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · A New Eruption in Iceland (UPDATED with photos)


Fantastic images Rajan, congrats!


Aug 14, 2022 at 11:35 AM
1      
2
       end






FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password