1       2      
       end

B&H Canadian orders

henryp
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · B&H Canadian orders

bjhurley wrote:
I haven't ordered anything from B&H in a year or so, but my past experiences were all great: no additional fees levied.

Thank you.

Henry Posner
henryp @ bhphoto.com
[url=http://www.bandh.com/?BI=2123&KBID=2868]B&H Photo-Video[/url

Aug 08, 2022 at 01:18 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · B&H Canadian orders

Lotuselite wrote:
Maybe not completely on topic but the number of items these days that are,
"No shipping to Canada" is making the point moot for my dealings with B&H.

Geographic restrictions are imposed on authorized retailers by the vendor, or by their distributor. The retailer is obliged to comply and has no authority to waive the restriction.

Henry Posner
henryp @ bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Aug 08, 2022 at 01:22 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · B&H Canadian orders

andyptak wrote:
I agree. I like(d) buying from B&H but not under these circumstances. I called their Customer Service twice, thinking I'd get a different person and hopefully a different story, but they were clueless about this and didn't care.

Of course we care, but asking three people and getting a range of replies is guaranteed, especially with an intricate issue like this.

I wish there was a way of going higher up the ladder there because I am sure they have no idea this is going on. So far this year I've spent $12K elsewhere because of this and I'm sure others must have similar stories. I think B&H managment would care that they're missing out on these sales.

There is a way of going higher up the ladder as the email you sent me ably demonstrates. That email, and the entry which opens this thread, were both sent to the manager of the department which handles issues like this one.Our management does care and when I have a response for you I'll reply to the email you sent.

Henry Posner
henryp @ bhphoto.com
[url=http://www.bandh.com/?BI=2123&KBID=2868]B&H Photo-Video[/url

Aug 08, 2022 at 01:33 PM
andyptak
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · B&H Canadian orders

Thanks Henry.

Aug 08, 2022 at 02:25 PM
pizdets17
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · B&H Canadian orders

got my 4 lens order from B&H today. No extra duty via UPS

Aug 08, 2022 at 06:47 PM
andyptak
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · B&H Canadian orders

I just heard back from Henry and it turns out that on my last purchase - a laptop - I forgot to check the pre-pay box and therefore paid UPS the fees. After bitching about it it's only fair to let everyone know. I've got to eat crow on that one.

Aug 09, 2022 at 04:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

molson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · B&H Canadian orders

andyptak wrote:
I just heard back from Henry and it turns out that on my last purchase - a laptop - I forgot to check the pre-pay box and therefore paid UPS the fees. After bitching about it it's only fair to let everyone know. I've got to eat crow on that one.

They falsely claimed the same thing on one of my orders. When an item in your order is out of stock, their shipping system automatically switches your order to pay the fees on delivery, even if you actually chose the pre-pay option. From their end, it apparently looks like you chose the wrong option, because this glitch in the system removes the taxes and duty charges from your order at the same time. If you don't catch it right away and cancel the order, you get stuck paying the extra fees...

Aug 09, 2022 at 06:13 PM
andyptak
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · B&H Canadian orders

I don't know what to make of all of this. There are so many contradictory examples. I'd like to think that B&H are a good company, but like any large organization, bureaucracy creeps in. However, they are in business to make money and not be my friend, but I hope they are not devious about it. I'd like to think not. UPS on the other hand are a bunch of scoundrels with their Canadian "brokerage fees" policy - in my opinion.

Aug 10, 2022 at 08:42 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · B&H Canadian orders

araudan wrote:
I'm in Ontario and have had to pay HST on purchases from AB and BC. This wasn't always the case. My first digital camera was from McBain (good service) and they only charged GST. Things seem to have changed since then. I just verified this at The Camera Store. $2400 for and A7III. $312 in tax once you get to the shipping stage which is 13% HST for Ontario.

It is my understanding that when Ontario went from having GST and PST to having just HST, that if you are charged sales taxes it is always the 13% HST. There is no way to be charged jus the 5% GST. I think wherever you buy (anywhere in Canada, or shipped to Canada) you will be paying the 13% HST. When GST and PST were split you used to be able to avoid the PST, but I believe you are now stuck with HST unless you import it yourself (and you can bring in a fair amount tax free and the amount depends on how long you stay in the US).

Aug 10, 2022 at 09:56 AM
andyptak
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · B&H Canadian orders

I believe that HST is based on the purchaser's residence and not on the merchant's location. (I think)

Aug 10, 2022 at 01:54 PM
andyptak
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · B&H Canadian orders

Henry at B&H has assured me that no extra costs are due with the pre pay option and that B&H would stand behind any purchaser who got this BS from UPS. I just ordered a 24-70 GM2. Let's see what happens.

Aug 14, 2022 at 03:56 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password