New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Insurance for non-pros?

Charlie San
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Insurance for non-pros?

I have a Valuable Property rider with USAA. Just Re-started it after a lapse but what is nice is I can add to or delete stuff on line. The lapse? Well, we moved to a gated community during that pandemic thing and only starting to plan longer distance travel now.

Aug 04, 2022 at 11:02 AM
SSISteve
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Insurance for non-pros?

State Farm personal articles policy for me. No deductible and very reasonable.

Aug 04, 2022 at 11:52 AM
groob
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Insurance for non-pros?

I have a personal articles rider with Travelers. I’ve somehow lost two tripods that it covered with no deductible.

Aug 04, 2022 at 06:22 PM
woodstork
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Insurance for non-pros?

Rand is the underwriter for NANPA. They are actually issuing a policy type called ‘Inland Marine’ insurance. Inland Marine policies typically are designed for international use. Mine with NANPA absolutely is.

Another great differentiator of NANPA policy is full coverage of gear when used in, on, near, and over the water. Many other carriers explicitly exclude this. As a Florida nature shooter this was what I needed. I researched 4 other common photography insurers and none covered water use and some refused to cover me even near the water.

agvogel wrote:
---------------------------------------------

Thank you both - shopping around to compare with doing it through my Renter's. Do you happen to know if NANPA's policies are valid outside the US/Canada? Specifically I'll be going to South Africa later this year.

Aug 05, 2022 at 11:16 AM
HueofNature

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Insurance for non-pros?

State Firm PAP (personal article policy) for me. I had NANPA before, $100 for the membership plus the insurance cost. I think it is difficult to add or remove any items in the middle of the policy year. Also $250 deductible.
With State Firm, no deductible; you can add or remove items (they will return your premium for the removed item). Very reasonable pricing (actually cheaper than NANPA). You need to have documents (purchase receipt, digital is okay) for all items. It is always better to take some images of your items every 6 months, just for the peace of mind later on.
Both policies cover international (exceptions are properly mentioned).

Aug 05, 2022 at 01:09 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Insurance for non-pros?

Charlie San wrote:
I have a Valuable Property rider with USAA.

The VPP policy adjustments are indeed easy to do online. What I've never understood, is whether you should modify a line item (say, 23) to match a new or different item that's come into your possession, or delete said line item (ahem, 23 again) and set a new one?

Aug 06, 2022 at 01:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

fotografur
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Insurance for non-pros?

I'm always worried that after a claim or two the insurance company will raise your rates or drop you.

Aug 06, 2022 at 07:19 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Insurance for non-pros?

My experience with insurance companies, is that they don't do much raise your rates, but remove/modify policy discounts you might have enjoyed, prior.

"Claims free discount" of X%. Gone, after a claim. But your actual policy, on paper, did not increase.

Aug 07, 2022 at 12:07 AM
Vdubeu

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Insurance for non-pros?

State Farm here as well. I’m paying $32 per month for my Mirrorless Bodies and Lenses and I dropped my DSLR Gear from coverage.

Aug 07, 2022 at 11:12 PM
Daniel-S
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Insurance for non-pros?

I'm not going to discount anyone's advice as being incorrect, but you should contact an agent directly. They have experience, can answer questions, and look at multiple providers. For years I always heard that it would be impossible to insure a blacksmith shop. Lots of people online said no one would take the risk. I called a local commercial insurance agent and got coverage. I gave her a description of the work I do and equipment and she found a provider and policy to cover me. I'm insuring a building, equipment, product liability, and visitor liability. An agent should be able to find some way to insure you.

As an aside, I used full frame insurance for a year for my photography equipment. I never had a claim with them, so I don't know how that process would be if something happened. However, getting set up was very easy.

Edited on Aug 08, 2022 at 03:46 PM · View previous versions

Aug 08, 2022 at 01:21 PM
agvogel
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Insurance for non-pros?

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I don't have State Farm, but I contacted my Farmers agent and it was going to be over $600 for the additional insurance so I opted out of that option. Companies like Full Frame wouldn't cover internationally, so I ended up going with NANPA.

Aug 08, 2022 at 01:23 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password