Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Maui Recommendations?

elamont
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Maui Recommendations?

Hey guys and gals,

I’m taking my wife to Maui for our 15th wedding anniversary later this month. While there, I plan to do a ridiculous amount of photography. This is our first time in Maui and I’d love recommendations for any “must capture” scenes from the island or places we should explore that are a target rich environment.

If you care to share any of your pics from Maui, I’d love to see em!

Thanks

Aug 01, 2022 at 07:49 PM
gocolts
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Maui Recommendations?

So my wife and I have been going to Maui for 2 weeks a year, every year since 2008 (minus 2 years, one for the birth of our daughter & 1 for COVID restrictions) and I have a ton of recommendations that I'll post later when I have more time. One question- where on the island do you plan on staying? As there are shots that are "worth the drive for" vs. "it's near where you're staying so why not" IMO.

Also how long are you going to be there, and what other activities do you enjoy? While you plan to do a lot of photography, certain interests might make one photo opportunity a priority over others.

Aug 02, 2022 at 10:35 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Maui Recommendations?

elamont wrote:
Hey guys and gals,

I’m taking my wife to Maui for our 15th wedding anniversary later this month. While there, I plan to do a ridiculous amount of photography. This is our first time in Maui and I’d love recommendations for any “must capture” scenes from the island or places we should explore that are a target rich environment.

If you care to share any of your pics from Maui, I’d love to see em!

Thanks

There's a specific forum for just this sort of question here: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/51

Good luck.

Aug 02, 2022 at 10:37 AM
GeorgeR
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Maui Recommendations?

I try not to schedule trips to Hawaii this time of year since there aren’t many more beautiful places than the PNW in the summer. I was just in Maui for a wedding in September and was disappointed the trip we had planned in February, my favorite time to visit Maui, was canceled. A special Anniversary would be another acceptable reason to leave the Seattle area this time of year.

Since trips to Hawaii are shared with my wife, and occasionally with kids and friends, I don’t prioritize photography but I do pack my camera and take it with me on some of our outings. Any search on “Best Places to visit on Maui“ will list the top destinations. Here is an example;

https://www.hawaii-guide.com/maui

I always enjoy getting on the water whether it is a Sunset cruise, a snorkel trip and especially whale watching but peak season has passed. I also can’t get enough of the sunsets. One thing I have never done is the Road to Hana. I’ve just never wanted to give up a full day and long drives are not my favorite thing to do. There would be plenty of great photo opportunities though, my daughter did the drive in September and loved it. Be sure and make your reservation as soon as possible for a Haleakala Sunrise visit if that interests you.

Happy Anniversary!

Aug 04, 2022 at 12:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jaggedhorizon
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Maui Recommendations?

I've been on Maui for the last 6 days, leaving on Sunday (part of a three-week trip starting in Big Island and ending in Kauai).

This is a family trip including a 1.5-year old so I don't go all out for photography, but I got a few chances.

I would definitely suggest going to the top of Haleakalā and doing the Sliding Sands trail (it's long, we only had time for about 1hr and a quarter each way, but I think it's well more than double that). The shapes and colours are beautiful. I'm about to download my photos from today.

(There is also sunrise on Haleakalā. I hadn't reserved two months earlier and I tried three times getting one of the 50 tickets that get released every day at 7am and are valid for two days later. I couldn't manage it, no matter how much I refreshed and how quick I was in trying to book - literally the second they were released. The experience annoyed me).

There's an interesting dead tree on Ukumehame beach, plus other trees in the area and further north in Olowalu. I'll post some images soon, see below one as a taster.

Lots of beaches in Wailea and south of it, for sunset shots and perhaps sunrise (I might try that tomorrow).

The Nakalele blowhole is pretty cool.

Besides the normal road to Hana (which is beautiful but it's tough to park in many of the interesting places), the south road to Hana also looks really spectacular but very different (more like Scotland than Maui). It has about 5 miles of quite bad conditions - but that's close to Hana itself, so if you come from the other side there's a lot of very good road.

Lahaina is pretty and gets good light in the afternoon / early evening.

Enjoy!

Ukumehame beach - lone tree at sunset

ILCE-7RM3    FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM lens    16mm    f/9.0    1/4s    100 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Aug 06, 2022 at 04:32 AM
c4change
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Maui Recommendations?

I second the cruise. Bring your telephoto lens.

Aug 06, 2022 at 07:29 PM
benjaminw

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Maui Recommendations?

No whales this time of year, and the blowhole is more of a winter thing. I'd recommend:

Road to Hana (it's the journey, not so much Hana)
Snorkel at Honolua Bay
Hike into Haleakala's crater
Pipiwai Trail
Waihe’e Ridge Trail

Aug 08, 2022 at 02:47 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password