New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Kalainen
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Daran wrote:
Hmm. Not a bad picture. But how did you manage to get an ISO100 shot this noisy?

Hah, I thought that someone would ask this at some point! It's because the light in the Island is so very bright that I can see the photon noise in my eyes and even afterimages.

Seriously though, it's something I've added later on. The blog is also sort of sketchbook for me to test things. Like many other photographers/enthusiasts I'm interested in the surface of photograph as well (not just the content or things like composition). Not editing just for contrast and colors, but I also want these images to have a bit material appearance (but not vintage) with my photos. So, I'm testing out things.

For some it might be sacrilege (why degrade the image quality on purpose) and I can see the popularity of the new noise reduction programs like the one from Topaz (especially in certain use scenarios like nature and birds), but I do love the grain as well and see it as a one aspect in aesthetics of photography. However, I'm not sure at all about the LR's grain function and how the added noise will turn out in prints. I would love to get a very fine grained noise that acts just as a texture on top of the image, but the one's I've printed in the past, just look like a bit softened and the noise disappears somewhere in the process. It's a bit same with the SquareSpace image compression as well. I should really experiment this with some quality printing lab explaining them what I want and how it might be achieved.

Anyway, since the circumstances are a bit extraordinary at the island, the images will probably be noisy too. But when we get off from the island (if we get), things should be normalizing a bit..

Aug 10, 2022 at 06:16 AM
Kalainen
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

JVan_02 wrote:
Thanks for the recognition, heh heh. Things are busy now, so I don't always have as much time to devote to hobbies. Talking about lenses takes little to no time, however :P

Hah, just being a bit facetious with you Jim! But yeah, I've liked the images you've created with Sony 40/2.5 G.

Aug 10, 2022 at 06:22 AM
Kalainen
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Eggshell

Sony A7III & ZEISS Batis 2/40 CF - ISO100, f/11, 1/50sec

"Wandering around the island we found some broken eggshells. It looks like that someone was born here. It must have pushed through the shell and break into existence while squinting its eyes in bright light of the island. If it has been lucky, it has grown into an adult bird and it has flown off the island after summer. Or the egg shell has been broken by some other bird just to eat the embryo [...]"

Read the whole blog post here: www.batisstory.com

Aug 10, 2022 at 02:33 PM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

"The domain www.batisstory.com is blocked because it's associated with the New Domains category."

Aug 11, 2022 at 09:54 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Robin Smith wrote:
"The domain www.batisstory.com is blocked because it's associated with the New Domains category."

Please elaborate a little. It workshop fine for me (Iím in Sweden).

Aug 11, 2022 at 10:41 AM
Kalainen
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Robin Smith wrote:

Yeah, this sounds like you have a firewall or some similar service enabled which associates the batisstory.com suspicious or something. I'm using Squarespace for the blog and I'm pretty sure it can't be anything from their side (they have 3.7 million subscribers so they probably have things setup right at their end). You could check the address via phone or some other device with another internet connection. If you can access the site with another device, then you'll know it's something at the current device which is giving you this notification.

Ps. I know there is a small issue with the current cover page if one is using mobile phone: the title gets squashed. I will have to work on it a bit at some point...

Aug 11, 2022 at 01:17 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Kalainen wrote:
[...]
Seriously though, it's something I've added later on. The blog is also sort of sketchbook for me to test things. Like many other photographers/enthusiasts I'm interested in the surface of photograph as well (not just the content or things like composition). Not editing just for contrast and colors, but I also want these images to have a bit material appearance (but not vintage) with my photos. So, I'm testing out things.

For some it might be sacrilege (why degrade the image quality on purpose) and I can see the popularity of the new noise reduction programs like the one from
...Show more

In my experience it takes a lot of experimenting.
I like grain and have tried different programs and plug-ins. In the end I like scanned grain from film emulsions the best (used as overlay in Photoshop). Petteri Sulonen has a few things to say about this, and about B&W comversions.
The size of everything, and for different scenarios, often make me having to do several versions until satisfied. maybe I should force myself to become more systematic.

Aug 11, 2022 at 01:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kalainen
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Jonas B wrote:
In my experience it takes a lot of experimenting.
I like grain and have tried different programs and plug-ins. In the end I like scanned grain from film emulsions the best (used as overlay in Photoshop). Petteri Sulonen has a few things to say about this, and about B&W comversions.
The size of everything, and for different scenarios, often make me having to do several versions until satisfied. maybe I should force myself to become more systematic.

Hey, I would be very interested to hear more about your findings (even images if you care to share). I haven't tried a scanned grain (I'm at the start of this path), but it has come to my mind. One problem I find with the digitally added grain is that it comes very easily 'blotched' if the image is interpolated/repackaged in any way (which happens almost always in the net). Therefore I've come to think about it as something I would need to experiment only with the final prints as they are probably something that can be controlled better..

Aug 11, 2022 at 02:16 PM
ramesesthe2nd
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Robin Smith wrote:

It is a DNS issue. I highly recommend that you go into your router and change it to use a more reliable DNS server.

Here is a bunch of them from Google:
https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

If you have no idea what I said above, just call your ISP and complain or wait a day or two and the DNS issue will most likely resolve on its own.

Aug 11, 2022 at 06:49 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Kalainen wrote:

Hey, I would be very interested to hear more about your findings (even images if you care to share). I haven't tried a scanned grain (I'm at the start of this path), but it has come to my mind. One problem I find with the digitally added grain is that it comes very easily 'blotched' if the image is interpolated/repackaged in any way (which happens almost always in the net). Therefore I've come to think about it as something I would need to experiment only with the final prints as they are probably something that can be controlled better..

Like you I have run into different problems. Partly they are the same problem as always when publishing images on-line:You have zero control over how the images are shown. Size, color handling, resolution - we simply have no idea. Adding grain doesn't make it easier.

I have two different examples posted here at FM:
Here and at the same page scrolling down to the last post.
Those examples probably illustrate several of the problems.

So, now I add grain only, or nearly so, when sending images for printing. The learning curve is about experimenting, be patient and throw some money at it... (my printer broke down over a year ago and decided not to replace it but instead use printing service at a camera store half way between my home and my daywork). By keeping notes I'm now on to something reasonably predictable depending on printing sizes and paper qualities. Not there yet but on my way.

The good grain
Petteri Sulonen pages (prime-junta.net - probably only via waybackmachin today) helped when starting but there are surely other places as well. Scanned film grain as an overlay is an easy technique.
To me it is rewarding as I often find today's technically "perfect" images boring. In the same way i don't appreciate seeing movies at cinemas as much as i used to do. The pictures are often kind of lifeless. So I wish you good look hunting the good grain

Aug 12, 2022 at 06:13 AM
Kalainen
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Jonas B wrote:
Kalainen wrote:
Like you I have run into different problems. Partly they are the same problem as always when publishing images on-line:You have zero control over how the images are shown. Size, color handling, resolution - we simply have no idea. Adding grain doesn't make it easier.

I have two different examples posted here at FM:
Here and at the same page scrolling down to the last post.
Those examples probably illustrate several of the problems.

So, now I add grain only, or nearly so, when sending images for printing. The learning curve is about experimenting, be patient and throw some money at it...
...Show more

Great post! I absolute agree with you that, for example, cinema has lost the look of 'the material film' and some of the stuff look just bad (imho). But the material look is coming back also, for example Lighthouse, Apollo 11 and some scenes of the new Elvis come to my mind immediatly (though they have quite nostalgic vibe in all of them).

I found some scanned film grains from the net: https://www.filmcomposite.com/free-film-assets and I've been testing them out a bit. Definitely an interesting experiment, though it's a very fine line between 'a material photographic look' and 'a nostalgic look' - personally I'm not interested in creating nostalgia.

All in all, you have given me some new ideas to play with. Thank you!

Aug 12, 2022 at 03:36 PM
Kalainen
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Raft

"We have two daughters, Aura and Meri, who are now ten and seven years old. This morning they found a raft from the shore, and were enjoying a game where the other pulls the raft to shore with rope and gives the other a ride, and then the other one runs to the other side of the shore for her ride. They are laughing loudly in the morning light and for them this lucky discovery of the raft is the best thing on the Island so far.

For the girls it is still an early morning and they are very much connected with the collective unconscious† [...]"

Aug 14, 2022 at 06:54 AM
Kalainen
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Blue pill

Sony Nex-5N & ZEISS Touit 2.8/50M - ISO100, f/5.6, 1/1000sec

"Todayís blog post is a bit different because in the first few writings I promised that I would tell you a Batis story. So, Iím going to hold up on that and start my Batis story, but since itís pretty long, Iím going to split it to a few different chapters along the project. Consider this blog post to be the chapter one of the story.

All good stories should have a good beginning. So does this one, but a bit surprisingly the story begins before the Batis lenses were even introduced to the world..."

Aug 18, 2022 at 03:59 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password