New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Dave Sanders
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Kalainen wrote:
Hah! You're too modest! We would of course travel around the world carrying each others bags. You're a good friend.

Speaking of camera bags, I have to tell you that when I bought my first two Batis lenses (along with the two Loxias) I didn't have a proper camera bag for months (never had so many lenses before). So I used a basic plastic bag(!) and I threw the lenses there while riding my bicycle to next photo shoot location.. Hah, somehow I have trouble to mix this in my mind with a concept of an Ambassador...

I think it speaks to durability, a perfect move for an Ambassador...absolute faith in the quality of construction

Aug 23, 2022 at 04:02 PM
darrellc
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Great blog Toni. Pics are great of course but I知 really enjoying the words this round as I aspire to being a #3 photographer. I知 hoping my children and their children and grand children find value in my efforts. My grandmother came to photography later in life with a Minolta SRT 101 and I知 thankful to have her pics. I wish she壇 started earlier as she missed the chance to create a body of work around my father. She took some landscapes and travel photos and abstracts etc but the more interesting pics of family that reveal something or tell a story are all that are important from my vantage point.

Aug 23, 2022 at 04:41 PM
Kalainen
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

darrellc wrote:
Great blog Toni. Pics are great of course but I知 really enjoying the words this round as I aspire to being a #3 photographer. I知 hoping my children and their children and grand children find value in my efforts. My grandmother came to photography later in life with a Minolta SRT 101 and I知 thankful to have her pics. I wish she壇 started earlier as she missed the chance to create a body of work around my father. She took some landscapes and travel photos and abstracts etc but the more interesting pics of family that reveal something or tell
...Show more

That sounds like a very interesting point that you are in. Of course there might be a bit of pressure, but you also have the road already paved a bit there. I'm just trying to figure this all out on my own...

I need to add that family photo documentary is, for me, the most important stuff that I do. Every now and then I hear people saying that 'it's nothing, it's just some family photos, it's not art or anything'. To me, art is something that come and goes, but the family photography has a much greater potential of making a mark, because you can create, for example, an essential imagery for someones personal history (kids, etc.). It doesn't come much meaningful than that. Sure you can have a small exhibition of your work at some gallery, have a wine and chat with people, but once it's done it's gone. Family photography is different, people will come back to those photos even after decades. That makes it important to me.

Aug 24, 2022 at 03:54 PM
Kalainen
• •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Interpretations

Sony A7III & ZEISS Batis 2/40 CF - ISO100, f/5.6, 1/1250sec

"Being on the Island and isolated from the rest of the world, its silence drives me to contemplate my photography and its meaning. I am here, I experience all this and I carry a camera with me being able to photograph things I see and experience, but to what meaning? Is it that I知 trying to achieve something particular here or is the camera just a mirror for me to see things around me in a different light?..."

Read the whole blog post here: www.batisstory.com

Aug 24, 2022 at 03:57 PM
Kalainen
• •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Dave Sanders wrote:
I find this a fascinating topic, with so much room for interesting debate. I, perhaps like many here, started my photography pre-digital, shooting film. I progressed from consumer colour and C41 emulsions, to more professional emulsions, both negative and transparency. I was obsessed with Delta 3200 to the point that my first blog that a friend and I started was named 'thirtytwohundred'. I loved the grain.

But I also loved Velvia, Provia and Astia...and the dozen or so rolls I shot of ultrafine grained Kodak Tech Pan.

Now, in the digital world, I love the clarity and 'wow' factor
...Show more

Meant to add something to this yesterday but I forgot, so I'm doing it now. So, yeah analog and digital have very different approach to imaging. Where as analog was more about 'what looks good and natural', digital is more about 'what is objective data'. With the emulsions and all it could never be exact science, but with digital it can and it also should - at least I cannot think of any reason why the digital approach should be anything else. Like you wrote, it gives user a very good starting point for experimenting.

However, in my opinion, because of this what people conceive as 'a good looking image' has become somewhat technical question (people think with the tools they have, or the other way that our thinking and imagination is embedded within the tools we have available). Hence all the talk about the 'image quality', noise, dynamic range, 16 bit files etc. To me, analog forms a cultural heritage and the imperfections of analog films (green/magenta undertones, grain, limited dynamic range) is part of the photography aesthetics and culture that is unfortunately some what left behind because of the current technical mindset.

With my current blog images from 'the Island' I've wanted to explore a bit more 'crunchy' side of photographic aesthetics because I think it fits better to the subject. I'm not making landscape or travel pictures, instead the mission is more metaphysical and happening beneath the surface, so I think a neutral output of an Canon powershot G9 Jpgs, for example, would be in conflict with what I'm trying to reach/explore. In my mind there needs to be grain, undertones and other 'flaws' to the point that is almost unbearable - but not crossing the line where it will start to look artificial. To be honest, I have no idea where this fine line actually is, but that's one reason this blog is just a sketchbook for these kind of experimentations.

Aug 25, 2022 at 01:34 AM
Kalainen
• •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Dead bird

Sony A7III & ZEISS Batis 2/40 CF - ISO100, f/11, 1/25sec

"One day wandering around the rocks on the shore, we found a dead bird. In fact, there were many bird carcasses on the rock, lying in strange contorted positions as if they were marionettes whose strings had suddenly snapped. To me this was an interesting sight and I tried to ask girls to come closer to examine one of the bodies. As expected..."

Aug 26, 2022 at 04:26 PM
Kalainen
• •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

The essence

Sony A7III & ZEISS Batis 2/40 CF - ISO100, f/2, 1/800sec

"In the afternoon, we come back from the walk and rest for a while in our room. Meri plays her funny tricks on the bed while withdrawing into her own fantasy world. The unhurried afternoon sun shines its warm light on the bed from the window. Despite all its limitations and roughness, the beauty of life..."

Aug 28, 2022 at 03:32 PM
Kalainen
• •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Camera Lucida

Sony A7III & ZEISS Batis 2.8/18 - ISO100, f/8, 1/400sec

"This is one of the many rooms in the Island, but as soon as walked in and saw the bright afternoon light coming through the window; I could not help but to think about the Camera Lucida. So, for today I知 going to borrow something from Roland Barthes who was a French literary theorist, philosopher, semiotician and also fascinated in photography..."

Sep 01, 2022 at 03:23 PM
Kalainen
• •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Play

Sony A7III & ZEISS Batis 2/40 CF - ISO100, f/2, 1/500sec

"The nature of the island is rocky and many of its plants are stunted in many ways. Many of the small trees in thin soil do not grow properly and the shrubs that manage to find some living space between the stones are often dry. In addition there are also many snakes..."

Sep 04, 2022 at 08:14 AM
Kalainen
• •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

The end of the Island

Sony A7III & ZEISS Batis 2.8/135 - ISO100, f/4, 1/60sec

"This will be the last post I値l be doing from the Island, but the Batis blog continues, it痴 just time to change the environment. The Island with its eyes hurting bright light, photon noise and metaphysical thin air is a fascinating place, but one can only take as much living at the edge of the flame and it痴 time to head back to mainland for some normal holiday images...."

Sep 08, 2022 at 01:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kalainen
• •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Trip to Oberkochen

Sony A7 & ZEISS Touit 2.8/50M - ISO640, f/4, 1/5000sec

"As we are leaving the Island, this is a good chance to continue my Batis story, from which I have already shared the first chapter before. Like I wrote before, my path towards ZEISS Batis lenses started with the ZEISS Touit lenses. Having personally used them for the first time I immediately recognized the difference in colors and contrast and I got hooked in a way that I only wanted to use the ZEISS lenses from then on. The only problem was..."

Sep 10, 2022 at 09:01 AM
Alan Parker
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Kalainen wrote:
The end of the Island

This has been a great series to follow along with so far! keep up the good work

Sep 10, 2022 at 10:02 AM
Kalainen
• •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Alan Parker wrote:
This has been a great series to follow along with so far! keep up the good work

Thanks for the kind words, Alan! 'Keeping up' is the hardest part here as it means I need to continuously hunt for the new pictures. On the other hand it is just what I need to get into the flow and in general photography projects are great way to 'boost up' one's photography. With this project I've tried to carry my A7III to everywhere with me and be trying constantly to be aware of photographic opportunities. Regarding lenses, if it's a casual trip I'll probably choose two Batis lenses to go with me, but if I know there will be photo opportunities, I usually take the whole bag. It's a dedication, and while it sometimes feels a bit drag, I know will pay in the end as I have a lot more pictures that I would not have without the effort. And sharing them is another part of the equation, as it forces me to think about my pictures and goals for photography in general. So, to put it shortly, 'keeping up' certainly takes some energy and effort, but in the end it will make photography more fruitful - and I've never felt any successful snap to be redundant afterwards, quite the opposite really, they are all very dear to me and anyway all the effort I've put them eventually gets shaken off later

Sep 11, 2022 at 02:19 PM
Alan Parker
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Kalainen wrote:
So, to put it shortly, 'keeping up' certainly takes some energy and effort, but in the end it will make photography more fruitful - and I've never felt any successful snap to be redundant afterwards, quite the opposite really, they are all very dear to me and anyway all the effort I've put them eventually gets shaken off later

Exactly! For a lot of day trip or city trips my camera with either the CV40 or Batis 40 hangs off my Peak Design Capture Clip. That was it's always at the ready and I never miss anything
That was I don't have to worry about the 'what if I had my camera in that scenario'.

Sep 11, 2022 at 02:28 PM
Kalainen
• •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Cold seawater

Sony A7III & ZEISS Batis 2/25 - ISO100, f/8, 1/160sec

"What would be a summer without swimming? I took this image when it was a super-hot day somewhere at the Finnish coastal line and we are getting ready to swim in the cold seawater. The sea warms up a lot slower and it痴 not unusual that the seawater is just above 12 or 15 degrees of Celsius in the middle of the summer..."

Sep 12, 2022 at 03:33 PM
Kalainen
• •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Small things

Sony A7III & ZEISS Batis 2/40 CF - ISO100, f/5.6, 1/10sec

"Aura痴 tabletop after a birthday party she痴 now ten years old. A lot of of self-made birthday cards that she had from her friends. And all sort of other stuff too, like little flushies, toys from easter eggs, horses made out of hama-beans, self-made containers with seeded plants..."

Sep 16, 2022 at 07:35 AM
rob_ww

p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

I am new to Sony and currently discovering the Batis lenses. Enjoy your posts very much and the pics are great advertisements for the Batis line. Although I can see it is the photographer's eye that is the real determinant! Thanks for posting.

Sep 16, 2022 at 11:12 AM
zoomo
• •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Great pictures and story-telling. Keep it up!

Sep 18, 2022 at 06:14 AM
Kalainen
• •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

rob_ww wrote:
I am new to Sony and currently discovering the Batis lenses. Enjoy your posts very much and the pics are great advertisements for the Batis line. Although I can see it is the photographer's eye that is the real determinant! Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the kind words Rob! I've noticed that you're interested in Batis lenses. However, as I'm working this small blog project with Zeiss, I'm try to stay away from recommending lenses directly, etc.. I think it's more fair this way and there's always difficult to say what the individual is expecting (people have have different preferences depending on the angle they approach photography). Personally for me, the Batis lenses have been very important along the way to a point that I would say that some aspects of my photography relies on their photographic qualities. Other people may, quite rightly, think otherwise and emphasize more (for example) technical prowness/etc. But all in all if one is getting a high quality lens for their camera, one usually cannot go wrong with any of them - they are all good.

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:17 AM
Kalainen
• •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

zoomo wrote:
Great pictures and story-telling. Keep it up!

Thanks for the kind words Zoomo! I really appreciate the positive feedback as if someone is getting inspiration of it, then I also feel that the project is worth the effort (got to keep those pictures and texts flowing).

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:23 AM
1       2       3      
       5       6       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password