Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              6       7       end

Archive 2022 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

zoomo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Loved the previous series you did with the Batis 40 and am very much looking forward to what you will be doing now. I have all Batis lenses for my A7RII's and couldn't be happier. By the way is that series with the Batis 40 still on line somewhere?

Aug 03, 2022 at 01:37 PM
Kalainen
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Juha Kannisto wrote:
Thanks Toni! I'm into manual focus lenses too but I have a collection of AF lenses as well, and I like to shoot Japanese Summer Festival events (especially dance festivals like Awaodori, Yosakoi, Eisa etc.) with AF lenses (something I just enjoy as hobby activity). Those haven't happened in the last 3 years but they are coming back this summer so I'm getting back into it. Just used the Batis 135/2.8 last weekend in one of those events too. For general walkaround I use manual focus lenses more often but sometimes I go with AF lenses for that purpose
...Show more

Hah, that was a surprise! You would be surprised too if I'd tell you where I've met people from TTKK/Tampere. But it's another story..

And yeah, I was just kidding about the apartment exchange - well, kind of, as I've been in Tokyo about ten years ago, one of my golden adventures of youth, and always have this urge to back there some day.

Aug 03, 2022 at 04:18 PM
Kalainen
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Gunzorro wrote:
I love your photos and look forward to your future additions.

I would really appreciate if you can include the exif data below the shots to identify the lens and settings.

Thanks!

Will do just that! But I'm on the move currently and I'll update the image captions as soon as I a minute to visit home and be on my adventures again. Thanks for suggesting this!

Aug 03, 2022 at 04:19 PM
Kalainen
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

zoomo wrote:
Loved the previous series you did with the Batis 40 and am very much looking forward to what you will be doing now. I have all Batis lenses for my A7RII's and couldn't be happier. By the way is that series with the Batis 40 still on line somewhere?

Thanks for the kind words regarding the Batis 40 project. I kept it online about a year and a half, but based on site statistics I killed it as some point (there are always some costs involved).

So, you have a superkit of Batis lenses too! Will be very interesting to exchange feelings and impressions as some point.

Aug 03, 2022 at 04:23 PM
mojoh
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Since u are in contact with Zeiss, perhaps u could ask them if they have any plans expanding the Batis or Loxia range? Or perhaps a new series of mirrorless lenses for Sony, Nikon, Canon or others? Thks.

Aug 03, 2022 at 08:46 PM
mojoh
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Wow.. the entire Batis collection!! Do u plan on giving all 5 lenses equal attention?

Aug 03, 2022 at 08:59 PM
zoomo
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Well yes, I would not want one of them to feel unhappy because of less attention

Seriously though, at the moment the 18, the 40 and the 135 are getting most use.

Aug 04, 2022 at 09:39 AM
dieterson
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Glad to see you are doing a new series of commented photos! I liked your older blogs (photos and writings) a lot (even without using the Batis-range myself, mostly because of the bulky form factor, but use the 55ZA already some years). Looking forward!

Aug 04, 2022 at 11:37 AM
mojoh
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

zoomo wrote:
.. at the moment the 18, the 40 and the 135 are getting most use.

oh that's interesting.
I would have thought that 25/40/85 get the most use.

Amongst the 5 of them, how would you rank their colors / micro-contrast?
(1 being strongest / highest)

1: 40? 135?
2: 85? 25?
3: 18?

Aug 04, 2022 at 12:03 PM
Dave Sanders
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

mojoh wrote:
oh that's interesting.

I've only used the 25, 85 and 135, but I'd rate the 135 the highest in every category. If f/2.8 works for you, it's a pretty flawless lens, optically speaking. It would be interesting to hear other perspectives.

Aug 04, 2022 at 12:06 PM
zoomo
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

mojoh wrote:
oh that's interesting.

Well I think the 135 is tops, it just has something special that I cannot really define. I see little difference as far as colors and micro-contrast are concerned with the other lenses. Having said that, I think the order you listed is probably very close to the truth, but again differences are marginal and probably only show when you were to take the same shots at the same time. As for using the 18, I can easily crop a 25 out of that and the 18 simply has that extra angle which often is nice.

Aug 05, 2022 at 05:54 AM
Kalainen
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

We’re off from the mainland!
https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/52614ca4e4b0c0ba6254acd1/623cac7d-6e4f-493b-9808-d50fe95201c0/DSC09355+copy.jpg

"We are getting out of the city and heading for the Finnish archipelago. The light is changing as we get further from the mainland. It gets brighter and I start to notice things that I didn’t when I was still at home. For me this is perfect, because I love the sea [...]"

Read the whole blog post here: www.batisstory.comwww.batisstory.com

Aug 05, 2022 at 09:31 AM
mojoh
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Thanks Dave and Zoomo for your response.
I have used the 25/40/85 before and found the 40mm's colors particularly strong and love it. The 135mm is very good but I would find more use for an 18mm instead so was hoping to get some opinions on it in terms of colors.

Aug 06, 2022 at 01:45 AM
Kalainen
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

The Island
https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/52614ca4e4b0c0ba6254acd1/9f25a2ef-e610-40bd-9d7f-1a119e5660a3/DSC08188-Edit.jpg
Sony A7III & ZEISS Batis 2/40 CF - ISO100, f/11, 1/160sec

"Here we are at last, on an island somewhere in the archipelago. What is this place explicitly or geographically? I believe that photographically it has no significant meaning, because for me it is just a metaphysical stage for life to happen. I’m not particularly interested in documenting the island itself, like crafting landscape images or images of a lighthouse, instead I think [...]"

Read the whole blog post here: www.batisstory.com

-Toni

Aug 07, 2022 at 08:36 AM
Erichimedes
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Lovely post. Since family photography is what I do the most of, I think about exactly what you touched on a lot. I find that snapshots are necessary because not every important moment in my son's life will have good lighting, or allow for nice compositions (that I can find anyway). But many of them will be photos my wife and I will really appreciate years from now when he's grown up.

Of course if I were the third type of photographer you outlined in your post, then perhaps I could do both, but I find myself to go back and forth between number 1 and number 2. But I like to strive for number 3, even if it's rare.

Great post, thanks for sharing.

Aug 08, 2022 at 10:14 AM
JVan_02
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Just wanted to drop by to say lovely images as always Toni! Hope you've been doing well.

Aug 08, 2022 at 11:11 AM
Kalainen
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Erichimedes wrote:
Lovely post. Since family photography is what I do the most of, I think about exactly what you touched on a lot. I find that snapshots are necessary because not every important moment in my son's life will have good lighting, or allow for nice compositions (that I can find anyway). But many of them will be photos my wife and I will really appreciate years from now when he's grown up.

Of course if I were the third type of photographer you outlined in your post, then perhaps I could do both, but I find myself to go back and
...Show more
Most of the time I work at snapshot level too - especially if I'm at the environment that's familiar for me (home yard, etc). It's not always the most inspiring, especially if the light sucks etc., but I try to remind myself that I need to keep myself sharp and also take the mediocre/bad images as well. Another thing I must remind myself often is that I can never know where the good shots comes from as they usually come from the unexpected moments. That's why I try to carry the camera everywhere we go and be always scanning for the photo opportunities. In other words, the level 3 images can outcome from the level 1 circumstances (but you need to have a some sort of idea what kind of things you are looking for or what you prefer aesthetically, without this one doesn't recognize a good shot even if it happens to be captured in camera).

Striving for the level 3 images is what keeps my photography alive - I might not succeed in it, but if I lower my expectations to just snapshot-level ('they are not that important, I'll just snap something, it's nothing...'), it's going to kill my inspiration for photography. So, keeping the bar high is actually something helps me to get motivated (just don't compare your work to anyone, be walking your own path).

Luckily, the mercy of family photo documentary is that eventually you're going to succeed if you just put effort into taking shots. The context for the images is already there and even snapshots will work because they will bring up memories - and what's lacking in photography wise will be complemented by your families mutual memories. One just has to remember to put some effort into it and later on (give it some years) there will be a gold nuggets here and there - even if it feels different at the moment of shooting.

Aug 09, 2022 at 05:37 AM
Kalainen
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

JVan_02 wrote:
Just wanted to drop by to say lovely images as always Toni! Hope you've been doing well.

Thanks for the kind words Jim! I've been following your engineeringly sharp product concept breakdowns, but love to see your images as well (don't get too gear-headed!). Especially loved the couple of last ones where your son was on mother's shoulders in front of a mirror and another one looking through the hole. Good job working with those!

Aug 09, 2022 at 05:50 AM
Daran
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Kalainen wrote:
We’re off from the mainland!
https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/52614ca4e4b0c0ba6254acd1/623cac7d-6e4f-493b-9808-d50fe95201c0/DSC09355+copy.jpg

"We are getting out of the city and heading for the Finnish archipelago. The light is changing as we get further from the mainland. It gets brighter and I start to notice things that I didn’t when I was still at home. For me this is perfect, because I love the sea [...]"

Read the whole blog post here: www.batisstory.comwww.batisstory.com

Hmm. Not a bad picture. But how did you manage to get an ISO100 shot this noisy?

Aug 09, 2022 at 07:11 AM
JVan_02
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 'a Batis story...' - a photographic sketchbook for the summer 2022

Kalainen wrote:
Thanks for the kind words Jim! I've been following your engineeringly sharp product concept breakdowns, but love to see your images as well (don't get too gear-headed!). Especially loved the couple of last ones where your son was on mother's shoulders in front of a mirror and another one looking through the hole. Good job working with those!

Thanks for the recognition, heh heh. Things are busy now, so I don't always have as much time to devote to hobbies. Talking about lenses takes little to no time, however :P

Aug 09, 2022 at 09:11 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.