New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Iphone Photo

eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Iphone Photo

Verizon recently offered me a deal where I could trade in my 4 year old Iphone 10 for a brand new Iphone 13. The particulars were that the phone itself cost nothing but one had to pay the sales tax (about $100.00), an installation fee ($45.00), and a processing fee ($50.00). So for about $200.00, I landed a new Iphone. I had to sign a 36 month contract to qualify. My monthly fee went up by around $3.00 as I got a phone with 256GB instead of 128GB memory. All in all, it seemed like a good deal even though my Iphone 10 was still in good condition. I actually went back 3 weeks later hoping to land the same deal for my wife but Verizon had ended the promotion.

So I've been testing out the photo capabilities of the new phone and have been impressed as far as Iphone photos go. It will never replace my mirrorless camera and lenses and their capabilities, but for casual shots here and there it's quite acceptable. The model I bought has two lenses (regular and wide angle) although I turned down getting the three lens version with an additional telephoto lens which was $200.00 more.

I recently read a prediction on a photo blog that 10 years from now smart phones will be as capable or more capable than mirrorless cameras. Hard to fathom that one.

Here's a recent example of a shot with the Iphone 13.

Steve

SteveSchulmanPhotography 2022

Shadows

Jul 31, 2022 at 01:52 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Iphone Photo

No doubt about it, the newer cellphone cameras do well for the vast majority of pictures posted on the internet. Your example looks good, but why not? It is only about 1 megapixel in size. There is not much reason to have a 20, 30 or larger megapixel camera just to post 1 megapixel pictures on the internet.

Jul 31, 2022 at 02:18 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Iphone Photo

Nicely seen.

The old adage of the best camera is the one you have with you ...

I've long accepted that the iPhone (phones in general) have photographic quality levels that make them viable tools. They may not be my preference, but they are very capable to a lot of applications. I have told my family for quite a while now ... just use your phone. You can get just as good or better than I can with my gear. And, they routinely do.

Main thing is that you see the shot, then you capture it.

Jul 31, 2022 at 06:11 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Iphone Photo

RustyBug wrote:
Nicely seen.

The old adage of the best camera is the one you have with you ...

I've long accepted that the iPhone (phones in general) have photographic quality levels that make them viable tools. They may not be my preference, but they are very capable to a lot of applications. I have told my family for quite a while now ... just use your phone. You can get just as good or better than I can with my gear. And, they routinely do.

Main thing is that you see the shot, then you capture it.

Thanks for chiming in Kent. I most agree with your old adage. I have a great deal of sympathy for all the major camera manufacturers whose sales are suffering dearly because the average person has switched to using a smart phone for their camera needs.

Steve

Jul 31, 2022 at 06:41 PM
jaggedhorizon
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Iphone Photo

Steve, that's a good photo! Your shadow reminds me of Terry Pratchett...

Re phone quality - yep, for lots of shots in good light it's hard to do much better (or simply better) with a big camera, if the intended use is a phone or laptop screen. I find however that, despite (or perhaps due to) always having the phone with me, I'm missing photo opportunities that I don't "see", which I would see with my camera - or if I'm not missing them, I'm too slow to react.

Aug 01, 2022 at 02:29 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Iphone Photo

I agree with Cedric("jh")!
Yeah I am a Verizon customer but only have a flip phone with no camera!!! They want to give us one free but like you report..add all the fees......but you won out!

I just can't justify an iPhone for my use! Or non use...

But your composition is wonderful and extremely fine camera! Now when you go to an event that doesnot allow cameras, you have one undetected!
Great lines against the marble or granite. B&W really shows this off!

That's a real annoying problem around here. Music events do NOT allow normal cameras but everyone has a smartphone with a camera yet are allowed to shoot.
Dan

Aug 02, 2022 at 09:27 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Iphone Photo

Danpbphoto wrote:
I agree with Cedric("jh")!
Yeah I am a Verizon customer but only have a flip phone with no camera!!! They want to give us one free but like you report..add all the fees......but you won out!

I just can't justify an iPhone for my use! Or non use...

But your composition is wonderful and extremely fine camera! Now when you go to an event that doesnot allow cameras, you have one undetected!
Great lines against the marble or granite. B&W really shows this off!

That's a real annoying problem around here. Music events do NOT allow normal cameras but everyone has a smartphone with
...Show more

Agree Dan about the craziness now of not allowing regular cameras into events. I went to a knicks game last Spring and they wouldn’t let me in with my Olympus OMD EM 10 mark 4 with a 12-40 lens. It’s a compact mirrorless camera. I had to go across the street to a hotel and check the camera at the front desk. With quality and features improving, pretty soon they’ll have to have everyone leave their phones at home.
Steve

Aug 02, 2022 at 10:12 AM
GeofFX

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Iphone Photo

A while back I did the same thing for the 12 pro max. The difference between the phone-cameras mostly being your 13 has a 3X optical zoom and my obsolete 😀 12 pro max is only 2.5X. The mad scientists who design these things are now playing around with optical zoom designs that are internally housed perpendicular to the phone’s exiting lens, and they are using prism elements at the end to turn the light 90 degrees so as to work. I can’t help but to wonder where this will be in another decade of R&D. In the future there will be some mind-blowing camera systems available in a cell phone I think. Perhaps phones are coming with camera options being one of the main variables.

Aug 15, 2022 at 06:44 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.