Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
  

Will Canon ever make a high quality (L) 50mm lens thatís not the size of...

  
 
ShootPDX
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Will Canon ever make a high quality (L) 50mm lens thatís not the size of the 1.2?


Maybe a 1.4 or 1.8 thatís stellar in quality but not the size of small boat.

I love the 1.2 IQ, but the portability of the 1.8. A nice in-between I think would sell well.

Same goes for the 85 1.4 and a great 35mm.



Jul 30, 2022 at 04:18 PM
Mike_5D
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Will Canon ever make a high quality (L) 50mm lens thatís not the size of the 1.2?


Maybe. Who knows. You'd think they could find a market between a $200 and $2200 lens. I own an EF 50/1.4 and would have liked an RF version but wound up getting an RF50/1.8 which works just as well.


Jul 30, 2022 at 04:22 PM
artsupreme
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Will Canon ever make a high quality (L) 50mm lens thatís not the size of the 1.2?


My theory is that Canon is money grabbing all the cash they can get from selling the expensive 1.2 behemoths and once they milk those sales they'll release the less expensive line. Because most people will go for the less expensive line that can give you 95% of the 1.2 line. They can happily gouge me for a 1.4-1.8 L line that's more travel friendly.


Jul 30, 2022 at 04:22 PM
Mike_5D
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Will Canon ever make a high quality (L) 50mm lens thatís not the size of the 1.2?


artsupreme wrote:
My theory is that Canon is money grabbing all the cash they can get from selling the expensive 1.2 behemoths and once they milk those sales they'll release the less expensive line. Because most people will go for the less expensive line that can give you 95% of the 1.2 line. They can happily gouge me for a 1.4-1.8 L line that's more travel friendly.


A 50/1.4 wouldn't even need to be an L. Just upgrade the AF motors, make the barrel non-extending and maybe add IS. Basically, a companion to the RF 85 f/2 for a similar price.



Jul 30, 2022 at 04:30 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Will Canon ever make a high quality (L) 50mm lens thatís not the size of the 1.2?


I doubt there is much value for Canon to make a high-IQ, slower lens like that. Maybe Leica or some other brand manages to keep the high prices on slower lenses. Have you considered the 28-70/2? I think that would be a great lens for the reasonable speed and ability to replace several of the old-school primes.

EBH



Jul 30, 2022 at 04:31 PM
artsupreme
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Will Canon ever make a high quality (L) 50mm lens thatís not the size of the 1.2?


Mike_5D wrote:
A 50/1.4 wouldn't even need to be an L. Just upgrade the AF motors, make the barrel non-extending and maybe add IS. Basically, a companion to the RF 85 f/2 for a similar price.


I would take that also, but would be happier to spend a little more money on an L'ish 50 1.4.



Jul 30, 2022 at 04:48 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Will Canon ever make a high quality (L) 50mm lens thatís not the size of the 1.2?


The 50/1.4 EF was such an old lens design. In the 2020s we expect higher IQ, especially towards the edges and without stopping down. Whatever happened to the blue-ray glass they used in the 35/1.4 II that was supposed to allow for better fast lenses?

EBH



Jul 30, 2022 at 04:51 PM
Mike_5D
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Will Canon ever make a high quality (L) 50mm lens thatís not the size of the 1.2?


EB-1 wrote:
I doubt there is much value for Canon to make a high-IQ, slower lens like that. Maybe Leica or some other brand manages to keep the high prices on slower lenses. Have you considered the 28-70/2? I think that would be a great lens for the reasonable speed and ability to replace several of the old-school primes.

EBH


$3000 and 3 lbs kinda defeats the purpose of a small-ish 50.



Jul 30, 2022 at 04:53 PM
ShootPDX
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Will Canon ever make a high quality (L) 50mm lens thatís not the size of the 1.2?


100%. Give me a 1.4 thatís more compact and Iíd pay more than for the 1.2.

artsupreme wrote:
My theory is that Canon is money grabbing all the cash they can get from selling the expensive 1.2 behemoths and once they milk those sales they'll release the less expensive line. Because most people will go for the less expensive line that can give you 95% of the 1.2 line. They can happily gouge me for a 1.4-1.8 L line that's more travel friendly.




Jul 30, 2022 at 05:09 PM
ShootPDX
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Will Canon ever make a high quality (L) 50mm lens thatís not the size of the 1.2?


Have you seen and held the 28-70/2?

EB-1 wrote:
I doubt there is much value for Canon to make a high-IQ, slower lens like that. Maybe Leica or some other brand manages to keep the high prices on slower lenses. Have you considered the 28-70/2? I think that would be a great lens for the reasonable speed and ability to replace several of the old-school primes.

EBH




Jul 30, 2022 at 05:11 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

311erin
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Will Canon ever make a high quality (L) 50mm lens thatís not the size of the 1.2?


Whatís wrong with the RF 50 1.8? Superb little lens. I have the RF 1.2 as well.


Jul 30, 2022 at 05:38 PM
ShootPDX
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Will Canon ever make a high quality (L) 50mm lens thatís not the size of the 1.2?


Itís not a bad lens for $200.

311erin wrote:
Whatís wrong with the RF 50 1.8? Superb little lens. I have the RF 1.2 as well.




Jul 30, 2022 at 06:23 PM
AmbientMike
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Will Canon ever make a high quality (L) 50mm lens thatís not the size of the 1.2?


Probably makes me "uncool" or something, but the 50/1.8 II looked pretty good last time I had it out. Have you considered the sigma art?

Edited on Jul 30, 2022 at 06:41 PM · View previous versions



Jul 30, 2022 at 06:34 PM
ShootPDX
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Will Canon ever make a high quality (L) 50mm lens thatís not the size of the 1.2?


Couldnít care less about cool factor, but Iíd rather not adapt a lens. I think thereís plenty of infilled space in the RF ecosystem.

AmbientMike wrote:
Probably makes me "uncool" or something, but the 50/1.8 II looked pretty good last time I had it out. Have you considered the sigma art?




Jul 30, 2022 at 06:37 PM
Tom_W
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Will Canon ever make a high quality (L) 50mm lens thatís not the size of the 1.2?


Mike_5D wrote:
A 50/1.4 wouldn't even need to be an L. Just upgrade the AF motors, make the barrel non-extending and maybe add IS. Basically, a companion to the RF 85 f/2 for a similar price.


A companion to the 85/2 would make sense - wonder if they have anything in the works...

I mean, like the old 85/1.8 and 100/2, they 'might' be able to share some components.



Jul 30, 2022 at 07:00 PM
johnvanr
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Will Canon ever make a high quality (L) 50mm lens thatís not the size of the 1.2?


I do think theyíll introduce a RF50 f/1.4 at some point. It seems their approach with RF has been to show what they can offer on the high end and cover the low end before serving the middle.


Jul 30, 2022 at 07:02 PM
Mike_5D
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Will Canon ever make a high quality (L) 50mm lens thatís not the size of the 1.2?


johnvanr wrote:
I do think theyíll introduce a RF50 f/1.4 at some point. It seems their approach with RF has been to show what they can offer on the high end and cover the low end before serving the middle.


It's a sound strategy. They'd get a lot of grief offering a $600 and $2200 50mm while lacking a $200 50mm. And so far their consumer RF lenses have been very good value for money.

I didn't want to hold my breath for an RF 50/1.4 so got the 1.8 and have been satisfied. I'll consider upgrading should a 50/1.4 appear. But I'm definitely not interested in a brick of a lens, at least not a prime, so I may wind up just sticking with the 1.8 forever.



Jul 30, 2022 at 07:08 PM
johnvanr
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Will Canon ever make a high quality (L) 50mm lens thatís not the size of the 1.2?


Mike_5D wrote:
It's a sound strategy. They'd get a lot of grief offering a $600 and $2200 50mm while lacking a $200 50mm. And so far their consumer RF lenses have been very good value for money.

I didn't want to hold my breath for an RF 50/1.4 so got the 1.8 and have been satisfied. I'll consider upgrading should a 50/1.4 appear. But I'm definitely not interested in a brick of a lens, at least not a prime, so I may wind up just sticking with the 1.8 forever.


I got both 50s, but since I mostly use other gear when I walk around with a camera, the 1.8 gets hardly any use. The 1.2 is large and heavy, but I love its rendering and Iíve used it a lot on model shoots in the past month.



Jul 30, 2022 at 07:43 PM
ShootPDX
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Will Canon ever make a high quality (L) 50mm lens thatís not the size of the 1.2?


Agree totally. They came out with their stellar glass to play ďcatch upĒ with Sony re: mirrorless and my hope is theyíll soon begin tapping that kind of ďmiddle marketĒ (which may be a new market) by offering some high quality stuff that isnít the fastest out there (marketing).

johnvanr wrote:
I do think theyíll introduce a RF50 f/1.4 at some point. It seems their approach with RF has been to show what they can offer on the high end and cover the low end before serving the middle.




Jul 30, 2022 at 08:11 PM
garyvot
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Will Canon ever make a high quality (L) 50mm lens thatís not the size of the 1.2?


I have wanted an updated 50 1.4 for a long time. Sadly, I don't think that Canon believes there is a market for one. I think we will have the "statement" lenses, and then the affordable ones. And honestly, the RF 50 1.8 is quite a good lens optically and mechanically (for its price) and will meet most needs.

I will say that Canon is doing a better job creating appealing non-L primes in the RF lineup than they did for EF, especially on the wider end. For example, they had nothing like the RF 16 2.8 for EF. Assuming it proves to be good, the new RF 24 1.8 is much more appealing than the EF 24 f/2.8 IS at a stop and a third faster. I also find the RF 35 1.8 to have better rendering than the EF 35 2.0 IS.



Jul 30, 2022 at 08:51 PM
1
       2       3       end






FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password