New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Best FF mirrorless camera for MF lenses

KrankyKraut
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best FF mirrorless camera for MF lenses

I have some old Konica AR, Minolta MD and Canon FD lenses I want to use on digital. What FF mirrorless camera make and model would be best? Coming from DSLR's focusing screens I am looking for the best EVF. Also best color rendition. These are my most important criteria. Budget up to $1200, so used is OK.

I'm posting this message in the Sony, Canon and Nikon forums.

Thanks in advance!

Jul 24, 2022 at 08:34 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best FF mirrorless camera for MF lenses

The only bargain basement Canon RF body is the RP.
Maybe you should buy an older used Sony as they have been into the MILS for many years.

EBH

Jul 24, 2022 at 09:11 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best FF mirrorless camera for MF lenses

Idk much about it, but I'm thinking that the R might be good and relatively inexpensive these days.

Jul 24, 2022 at 09:28 PM
filosofem
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best FF mirrorless camera for MF lenses

You can certainly buy a used EOS R for well under $1200. The EVF/LCD is one of the best in the price range and so is the colour science.

Jul 24, 2022 at 09:28 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best FF mirrorless camera for MF lenses

filosofem wrote:
You can certainly buy a used EOS R for well under $1200. The EVF/LCD is one of the best in the price range and so is the colour science.

The price is drifting down fast. I bought a new one from Amazon proper (not a vender) for $1299 during their Winter sale. Wonderful camera for landscapes and macro.

Jul 25, 2022 at 01:17 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best FF mirrorless camera for MF lenses

I think the R has increased in price slightly over the last 6 months.

Jul 25, 2022 at 09:07 AM
Z250SA
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best FF mirrorless camera for MF lenses

The One most important improvement the EVF brings to the table is without any doubt the ability to zoom in in the view finder. But I cant recall if the R or even RP has it as I have used the R5 (the Best FF mirrorless camera for MF lenses in the Canon lineup) too much since my time with the R. Should be easy to find out, though.

1. Roughly compose the image.
2. Place the focuspoint on the subject of interest.
3. Zoom in and adjust to perfect focus.

(4. is empty since I use the electronic shutter which is totally silent. Felt totally unreliable to start with. But when you learn that it works, perf!

Please note that this could be infected by my love for the R5.

Jul 25, 2022 at 01:52 PM
jgoetz4
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best FF mirrorless camera for MF lenses

I've been using the RP and FL 55 1.2 with focus peaking, at night work. With that camera selling as low as $765, it's a good deal. The profile pic was taken at 1.2. The others, at 1.6.
Jim

Jul 25, 2022 at 02:14 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best FF mirrorless camera for MF lenses

Heh. When I see "MF" I think medium format.

I do use medium format lenses on a DSLR by means of the Mirex tilt/shift adapter, and I've imagined the Frankenstein monster of R5, EF adapter, Mirex adapter, and MF lens. ;-)

Jul 25, 2022 at 03:47 PM
KrankyKraut
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best FF mirrorless camera for MF lenses

The RP is certainly a good camera and good bang for the buck. I like the picture quality. Having said that, coming from DSLR's, I am looking forward to getting IBIS for my old lenses. So I am ready to spend a few hundred more for that feature. Especially for tele lenses. Talk about a new lease on life for some of these!

Jul 25, 2022 at 09:13 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best FF mirrorless camera for MF lenses

You only have 3 RF mount < $5K options then for IBIS: R5, R6 and R7

The R7 is probably the best bang for the buck, because you will either use focus peaking, or use the 5x/10x loupe function with any of Canon mirrorless. You won't be able to use the EVF for critical focus, IMO, having done several macro shots with my gear, without using one of these 2 other functions.

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:48 PM
jpeter
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best FF mirrorless camera for MF lenses

Z250SA wrote:
The One most important improvement the EVF brings to the table is without any doubt the ability to zoom in in the view finder. But I cant recall if the R or even RP has it as I have used the R5 (the Best FF mirrorless camera for MF lenses in the Canon lineup) too much since my time with the R. Should be easy to find out, though.

1. Roughly compose the image.
2. Place the focuspoint on the subject of interest.
3. Zoom in and adjust to perfect focus.

(4. is empty since I use the electronic shutter which is totally
...Show more

You can zoom in with the Eos-R. Focus peaking has never worked for me. I did enjoy the camera for manual focus. Especially in low light. Working in the dark with DSLR just isn't as fun.

FWIW I sold my R on FM for about 1000$ a few weeks back.

JP

Jul 27, 2022 at 12:00 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.