Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
  

Why no 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Z on the roadmap?

  
 
GroovyGeek
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why no 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Z on the roadmap?


Any ideas why the 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Z is conspicuously absent from the Nikon Z lens roadmap? It is such a glaring omission for a complete "light and reasonably fast" high quality travel kit: 14-30/4, 24-70/4, 70-300. Yes, we have the F mount version of the lens but who wants to deal with FTZ for this lens? Would have rather had Nikon spend the resources on this, rather than a a 28-75/2.8 that few seem to want.


Jul 24, 2022 at 03:45 PM
sjms
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why no 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Z on the roadmap?


i think it may have to do with the 24-120/4 and the 100-400/4.5-5.6. at least from my POV


Jul 24, 2022 at 03:52 PM
lukemeup
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why no 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Z on the roadmap?


I doubt Nikon spent a lot of resources on 28-75/2.8 (if any).


Jul 24, 2022 at 03:55 PM
TooManyShots
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why no 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Z on the roadmap?


I think the 100-400 is filling up that lineup...


Jul 24, 2022 at 04:19 PM
PA.Stone
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why no 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Z on the roadmap?


I have the AF-P 70-300 4.5-5.6 and find it almost too good for the price. It shouldn't take a lot effort to make Z mount version with slight changes, although the current version works well too since it uses stepper motors.

Z 100-400S is much higher priced lens, completely different league, and something that many consumers won't be able to afford. So non 'S' tele zoom that goes past 200mm in full frame is needed.




Jul 24, 2022 at 04:42 PM
GroovyGeek
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why no 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Z on the roadmap?


The 100-400 is too large, too heavy, and too expensive to fill that gap. The 70-300 is literally half the size,and less than half the weight (w/o FTZ) and price relative to the 100-400.

I can understand them deprioritizing it for whatever reason, but not its complete absence from the roadmap.



Jul 24, 2022 at 04:44 PM
agvogel
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why no 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Z on the roadmap?


Yeah, I agree - I originally was pining for a 70-200 f4 to complete my lightweight landscape setup, but after getting the 100-400 I think Iíd really like a light 70-300 instead. The 100-400 is just a pain to carry around.


Jul 24, 2022 at 04:56 PM
sjms
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why no 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Z on the roadmap?


GroovyGeek wrote:
The 100-400 is too large, too heavy, and too expensive to fill that gap. The 70-300 is literally half the size,and less than half the weight (w/o FTZ) and price relative to the 100-400.

I can understand them deprioritizing it for whatever reason, but not its complete absence from the roadmap.


thats an opinion. the 100-400 is roughly the size of the 70-200 i carry. possibly low on the priority list as you said.



Jul 24, 2022 at 05:03 PM
sjms
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Why no 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Z on the roadmap?


agvogel wrote:
Yeah, I agree - I originally was pining for a 70-200 f4 to complete my lightweight landscape setup, but after getting the 100-400 I think Iíd really like a light 70-300 instead. The 100-400 is just a pain to carry around.


everybody's got their limitations



Jul 24, 2022 at 05:06 PM
sjms
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Why no 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Z on the roadmap?


PA.Stone wrote:
I have the AF-P 70-300 4.5-5.6 and find it almost too good for the price. It shouldn't take a lot effort to make Z mount version with slight changes, although the current version works well too since it uses stepper motors.

Z 100-400S is much higher priced lens, completely different league, and something that many consumers won't be able to afford. So non 'S' tele zoom that goes past 200mm in full frame is needed.



so the current pricing of Z lenses are where right now?



Jul 24, 2022 at 05:08 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

runamuck
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Why no 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Z on the roadmap?


My DX is 415 grams. The 100-400 is nearly 1500 grams. 'Nuff said.


Jul 24, 2022 at 06:11 PM
agvogel
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Why no 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Z on the roadmap?


sjms wrote:
everybody's got their limitations


What a dumb comment. Being able to carry an extra couple lbs over multiple miles is very different from wanting to.



Jul 24, 2022 at 06:17 PM
RoamingScott
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Why no 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Z on the roadmap?


Donít worry, Iím sure Nikon will eventually rebadge the Tamron FE version and slap a Z mount on it.


Jul 24, 2022 at 06:24 PM
sjms
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Why no 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Z on the roadmap?


agvogel wrote:
What a dumb comment. Being able to carry an extra couple lbs over multiple miles is very different from wanting to.


i don't know what's dumber, you bought it knowing what you were getting into.

me, i'm results oriented so i choose my tools with relative care. i do carry the 70-200/2.8 FL all 1430gms of it. it does what i need it too.

Edited on Jul 24, 2022 at 06:37 PM · View previous versions



Jul 24, 2022 at 06:30 PM
agvogel
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Why no 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Z on the roadmap?


sjms wrote:
i don't know what's dumber, you bought it knowing what you were getting into.

me, i'm results oriented so i choose my tools with relative care.


YesÖ the two are not mutually exclusive. When a lighter option comes along, it will replace the 100-400 in my hiking bag. My lens lineup is never permanent



Jul 24, 2022 at 06:35 PM
sjms
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Why no 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Z on the roadmap?


mine stays fairly consistent. i'm not on a constant hunt for new glass, images yes.




  NIKON Z 6    200mm    1/100s    12800 ISO  






  NIKON Z 6    200mm    1/1000s    100 ISO  






  NIKON Z 6    125mm    1/100s    5000 ISO  



Edited on Jul 24, 2022 at 07:07 PM · View previous versions



Jul 24, 2022 at 06:41 PM
agvogel
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Why no 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Z on the roadmap?


sjms wrote:
mine stays fairly consistent. i'm not on a constant hunt for new glass, images yes.


Arenít we all. Another two things that are not mutually exclusive.



Jul 24, 2022 at 06:51 PM
sjms
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Why no 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Z on the roadmap?


agvogel wrote:
Arenít we all. Another two things that are not mutually exclusive.


honestly, i can't tell here sometimes.

My lens lineup is never permanent

not so true. collectors.

my work, up until 2 years ago, took me all over. very slowly spooling up again. it involved a fair amount of footwork

Edited on Jul 24, 2022 at 07:37 PM · View previous versions



Jul 24, 2022 at 06:55 PM
PA.Stone
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Why no 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Z on the roadmap?


sjms wrote:
so the current pricing of Z lenses are where right now?


The current AF-P 70-300 4.5-5.6ED is only 600-700 in USD or EUR. Same for the weight in grams.
IQ is not far behind AF-S 70-200 4G at 200mm, and may be even better in corners areas.

Nikon is propably holding these cheaper but good Z mount tele lenses so that they can sell more higher priced lenses first. Z 24-200 is allright but too short.





Jul 24, 2022 at 07:35 PM
sjms
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Why no 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Z on the roadmap?


PA.Stone wrote:
The current AF-P 70-300 4.5-5.6ED is only 600-700 in USD or EUR. Same for the weight in grams.
IQ is not far behind AF-S 70-200 4G at 200mm, and may be even better in corners areas.

Nikon is propably holding these cheaper but good Z mount tele lenses so that they can sell more higher priced lenses first. Z 24-200 is allright but too short.



everyone's wants/needs are different.

i wouldn't count on a pricing equivalency if it does go to a Z mount.



Jul 24, 2022 at 07:40 PM
1
       2       3       end






FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password