New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Playing with Macros

tmoseley1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Playing with Macros

Don't know what the flower is

2022-07-24 flower 09-12-23 (B,R8,S3)-SharpenAI-Motion.jpg by Tom Moseley, on Flickr

Stack of 1/2500 at f/2.8, ISO 250

Still learning Macro

Jul 24, 2022 at 08:44 AM
Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Playing with Macros

Maybe its how the photo looks on FM, but it looks a bit out of focus. Just my 2 cents…

Jul 24, 2022 at 11:01 AM
DES-1
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Playing with Macros

What stacking software? How many exposures? Manual or automatic focus stacking employed?

Nice composition, and well done!

Edited on Jul 24, 2022 at 02:08 PM · View previous versions

Jul 24, 2022 at 11:23 AM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Playing with Macros

What lens did you use? Looking at the EXIF, it looks like this is a single frame. and you sharpened it with a LR plug-in. If you want to do macros like this (I think it's an iris, btw), I'd suggest that you try several things:
1. Stop down 1-2 stops from wide-open (shoot from the lens' sharpest aperture, which usually isn't wide-open).
2. Focus stack and learn how to use software stacking capabilities. Without knowing your lens and working distance, it's hard to say how many slices you'd need, but I'd probably start with 10-20. Some cameras have buil-in stack shooting capabilities. Some will composite in-camera (usually outputs a JPEG), some only shoot the stack and leave the compositing to you. IMO, you always want to start with the Raw originals and stack in software to get the best output.
3. If you decide to try focus stacking, have a look at Affinity Photo, Zerene Stacker, and Helicon Focus. In my experience, PS is fine for small stacks like you'd need for your iris, but doesn't work that well when you get into bigger stacks.

There's a lot to macrophotography; you'll gain a wealth of knowledge and experience as you explore it.

Jul 24, 2022 at 11:42 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.