New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Shutter speed troubles

DanielScott
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shutter speed troubles

I have some experience shooting in studio, but the majority of my work is done in available lighting. In the past when I've shot in studio I was able to use a shutter speed of 1/200th sec with no issues, using an original Canon 5D. A few months ago I upgraded to a 5D MKIII, and this week I started buying some strobes and modifiers and today I got to use that new lighting gear for the first time. The problem I'm having is that when I set the camera to 1/200th sec it captures part of the shutter door on the side of the image. When I set it to 1/160th it also still captures a portion of the shutter. This wasn't the case with my old camera, and I'm lost on why it's doing this with my new (to me) camera. From what I've read this shouldn't be happening at 1/200th sec and especially not at 1/160th sec, so I'm wondering what I might be doing wrong. I highly doubt this is an issue with the gear and am pretty certain it's an error on my part. Could anyone tell me why this could be happening and how to fix it? I'm fine shooting at 1/125th sec, but I often use a 135mm lens so I prefer shutter speeds just a touch faster to avoid motion blur, and figuring out how I can speed the shutter up a bit would be really helpful, if I can.

Jul 21, 2022 at 10:02 PM
Zenko

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shutter speed troubles

That’s probably because you’re exceeding your camera’s sync speed.

Jul 21, 2022 at 10:08 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shutter speed troubles

Sync speed explained.
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography/hub/guides/learn-about-flash-sync-speed

Jul 21, 2022 at 11:38 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shutter speed troubles

Zenko wrote:
That’s probably because you’re exceeding your camera’s sync speed.

It's just so strange to me the the original 5D was fine at 1/200th sec, but not the 5D MKIII.

Jul 21, 2022 at 11:52 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shutter speed troubles

The trigger or the strobe itself can introduce a delay, and that will influence the usable shutter speed. There are no simple fixes but you could switch lighting brand. You could also switch camera model although I doubt that is the cause of your problem. As a counterexample, my Canon 1Ds has a sync speed of 1/250s but can capture an image without shutter shading at 1/315s. This with a Pocketwizard radio trigger and Profoto pack.

Jul 22, 2022 at 12:28 AM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shutter speed troubles

I also think I used 1/200s most of the time with my long gone 5D3 and Profoto lights. But this depends a lot on the trigger used and flash system also. Most of the time, in studio, the flash itself will take care of freezing motion, so unless there is a strong ambient light, using slower sync speeds should be no problem. In a pinch, you may also be able to use High Speed Sync, again depending on your trigger/flash system.

Jul 22, 2022 at 06:22 AM
dugaut
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shutter speed troubles

As mentioned, strobes and remote triggers may delay things. See this: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4021786

I'm primarily a sports shooter but occasionally shoot headshots and use Buff strobes and pocketwizard remotes mixed with speedlights and have used 1/200 successfully, so it may be brand specific.

If you're flashes/strobes are the main source of light, as mentioned, they will fire fast enough to freeze motion. But if used as fill that won't be the case.

Jul 22, 2022 at 07:05 AM
Conner999
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shutter speed troubles

Buy a cheap sync cable ('instant' triggering) and try it vs. your radio. If fine at designate sync speed, the problem is the radio transmitter.

Some radio systems, especially older ones, don't keep comms open between the transmitter and receiver. This is/was usually to conserve battery strength.

So the fraction of a second they take between shutter press, sending the signal and the receiver recognizing the signal and triggering the strobe is 'shaved off' your sync speed.

Jul 22, 2022 at 08:01 AM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shutter speed troubles

Thank you everyone for the help! I think the triggers are definitely the issue. I'll look into some better quality ones, and in the meantime I do have a sync cable so I'll give that a try.

Jul 23, 2022 at 03:32 PM
amci4
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shutter speed troubles

DanielScott wrote:
I have some experience shooting in studio, but the majority of my work is done in available lighting. In the past when I've shot in studio I was able to use a shutter speed of 1/200th sec with no issues, using an original Canon 5D. A few months ago I upgraded to a 5D MKIII, and this week I started buying some strobes and modifiers and today I got to use that new lighting gear for the first time. The problem I'm having is that when I set the camera to 1/200th sec it captures part of the shutter door
...Show more

Does the camera have EFCS and if so, are you using it? Try turning that off and see if it resolves the issue.

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:13 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Shutter speed troubles

DanielScott wrote:
Thank you everyone for the help! I think the triggers are definitely the issue. I'll look into some better quality ones, and in the meantime I do have a sync cable so I'll give that a try.

Use the sync cable and that will tell you for sure if it in the trigger or not. Most bodies these days will sync at least at 1/200 that is the standard. Some 1/250 and a rare breed will go up to 1/320th.

Jul 26, 2022 at 01:20 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.