Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Why did I buy a GoPro when I could have got an M6 - ultralight backpacking

little tern

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why did I buy a GoPro when I could have got an M6 - ultralight backpacking

I bought a GoPro Hero 10 for backpacking. My current camera is a Canon 5D Mark IV - and there's no way I'm lugging that boat anchor into the mountains.

I've been testing the GoPro doing some overnight timelapse stills and not so happy with the results (not a big surprise I guess) although videos have been fun, especially the horizon stabilization feature.

This morning, I realized with all of the accessories I bought, I could have picked up a refurb. Canon M6 Mark II.

Now I'm torn. I'm a photographer at heart (not videographer) but I do use video recording on my cell phone a lot for a few hobbies and I really like making timelapse videos, but those are always from stills.

For backpacking, I go ultra ultra light and reserve all the extra weight for food and anything that makes sleeping more comfortable--I carry 2 down sleeping quilts, no joke--so camera gear has to take a backseat in the weight department.

It looks like an M6 kit will weigh about 1/2 lb more than the GoPro kit (currently GoPro kit is about 8 oz with the accessories, extra batteries, cables etc.). Doesn't sound like much, but I'm going for a sub-20 lb pack and that includes a tent, 2 sleeping quilts, insulated sleeping mat, camp kitchen, food, water filtration, clothing...

Oh, and throw in the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM lens (I can't tell how much that lens weighs on the Canon site) and an extra battery, charge cable, and possibly dummy battery with USB to power bank to power overnight timelapse.

For non-backpacking, I already have a bunch of Canon glass & accessories.

What would you do in this case for a second camera ? GoPro Hero 10 vs Canon M6 Mark II ?

Jul 18, 2022 at 10:20 AM
garyvot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why did I buy a GoPro when I could have got an M6 - ultralight backpacking

I can't speak for the GoPro, but the M6 Mark II is an exceptional piece of kit that can create outstanding images. I think it goes without saying that it will be a lot more versatile for general photography.

I would also consider the M50 Mark II which, while having slightly lower resolution, has a built in EVF and can be had for considerably less.

Though you should know that the Canon M system is likely going to be phased out sooner rather than later, as Canon focuses all its energies on RF.

Regardless, these cameras will remain perfectly usable for years to come, and excel where light weight and compactness are a priority.

Edited on Jul 18, 2022 at 01:51 PM · View previous versions

Jul 18, 2022 at 10:50 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why did I buy a GoPro when I could have got an M6 - ultralight backpacking

The EF-M 22 2.0 STM is 3.7oz / 105g. It's so good it's almost worth buying a M series camera. I just replaced my M6 with a R7. I found the M series too small and frustrating for comfortable use.

Jul 18, 2022 at 12:12 PM
jedibrain
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why did I buy a GoPro when I could have got an M6 - ultralight backpacking

That M6 is a fully functional camera, with IQ similar to the DSLRs of its generation, and arguably better AF. It also takes videos as well. Battery life is a bit short, so plan on a few extras. But they are tiny and light.

EFM 22mm weighs 4.4oz with both the lenscap and body cap on, 3.8oz without the body cap. (I just threw it on my food scale). And it is a really nice little prime lens. One of the best in the lineup.

For the same cost and the same weight, its seems way more versatile than a go-pro.

An idea for you - look at the Peak design 6L sling bag. It can be worn over the shoulder like a sling, or around a waist like a fanny pack. The 6L would fit all your EFM kit (the body, 22mm, one spare lens, spare batteries, charger). And take the weight out of your pack, but not off your body.

-Brian

Jul 18, 2022 at 12:16 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why did I buy a GoPro when I could have got an M6 - ultralight backpacking

I've been backpacking all my life and for the past 19 years I've been carrying a G series camera. I find them sturdy and with good image quality. I also use them to backup my FF kit when traveling.

I currently own a G1X3 and M6II kit. Both are full APS-C sensors, 24 MP on the G, and 32 MP on the M. Both are very good cameras but the G's 15-45 f2.8-5.6 lens is sharper and faster than the M's 15-45 f3.5-6.3 (24-70 FF equiv). The G weighs 14 oz (1 lb with its Op/Tech pouch), is weather sealed, and its lens retracts into the body when off. The G can be charged in-body with a regular USB port. The M6II is a higher performance camera 14 fps vs 7 fps. It also has a nice assortment of lenses, 11-22 and 18-150 are good, and 22, 28, and 32 are excellent, as are the Sigma M mount primes. Its not weather sealed and requires a higher output USB-C port for in body charging.

When day hiking I'll carry the G + M + 55-250 and a macro. I don't know what your lens needs are but that would be the deciding factor for me. Like Gochugogi I'm replacing my M with an R7 since it outperforms the M and weighs 6 oz more than the M with EF adapters and M EVF. And I'll have the G if I need to go very light.

Jul 18, 2022 at 02:16 PM
mpwolken

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why did I buy a GoPro when I could have got an M6 - ultralight backpacking

Agreed - the 22mm is a great lens on the M6 II. I prefer the Sigma 16mm 1.4 for some situations, but it's too big for the system when it comes to this use case. If I were making the decision for the case described though, I'd probably also go with the GoPro. I guess I'm spoiled, but I've had a Hero 5 Black since new, and it's been on thousands of miles of saltwater kayak fishing trips without a single hiccup; it's super unobtrusive, and the voice controls are really good when mounted remotely. I hear the Hero 10 has corrected some of the sins of the 8&9.

Jul 18, 2022 at 08:14 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why did I buy a GoPro when I could have got an M6 - ultralight backpacking

On long hikes in the mountains I usually leave the 55-250 on a rebel in case of any birds, chipmunks, goats, etc presentin themselves so I don't miss the photo changing lenses. The SL2 is a great choice at right around a pound, the lens is under 1 lb 88-400 ff equivalent.

Also the 18-55 STM is very light, as is the 10-18. I'm using 11-16 but that's more pro construction, and heavier.

The go pros seem cool for helmet cam ski videos and similar but I'd much rather have a 24mp rebel or 32mp M6 II. The 22 is supposed to be excellent and very light however I'd rather have a zoom. 18-55 certainly isn't heavy and this stuff can be fairly inexpensive

Jul 19, 2022 at 11:41 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.