New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Questions about Godox compatibility

Jay968
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Questions about Godox compatibility

- I have a Z7ii with the latest firmware and am considering purchasing a new Godox AD200 Pro with either the XPro trigger for Nikon or the XT2 trigger for Nikon. Assuming the Godox equipment is current, can anyone confirm that this will work with the Z7ii?

- Also, do the Godox products usually need to have their firmware upgraded every time Nikon updates it's firmware?

- I've only seen Godox firmware upgrades on their site stating that it's for a D780. Did that firmware upgrade for Z6ii and Z7ii as well?

Thanks

Jul 17, 2022 at 08:31 PM
Jay968
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Questions about Godox compatibility

No responses?
Can anyone at least tell me if they have success using iTTL with Godox products and a Z7ii (or Z6ii)?

I know they work with Canon, Sony etc. But I also know from experience that when Nikon switched to the Z6 ii and 7ii cameras, there were issues. From what I remember, the firmware upgrade was not an easy task, and at least at the time, couldn't even be done on a Mac.

It's very frustrating as I haven't even as yet found a retailer who can give me an answer.

Jul 18, 2022 at 11:10 AM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Questions about Godox compatibility

You may want to re-post in the Nikon forum to get Nikon specific responses. I'm not well versed in current Nikon spec's, but afaik Nikon "i-TTL" protocol has been the same for a long time. So I'd expect consistent compatibility across models like the Z7 that use it. I can say that Godox in general has not released firmware updates with any obvious correlation to Canon, Fuji, Sony or m43 body firmware updates. Each Godox trigger is designed for a specific TTL protocol. Those protocols don't change much. So there's unlikely to be anything in a camera firmware update that would effect flash TTL compatibility. Most Godox updates are related to internal functions of the flash or trigger and not directly related to the particular TTL protocol it uses. That's why most Godox updates happen across all the flavors of a given flash trigger and not just on one mount type such as Nikon or Canon.

Jul 18, 2022 at 06:33 PM
Jay968
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Questions about Godox compatibility

Thanks, I appreciate your reply.

However, unless a firmware upgrade is applied, the Z6ii and Z7ii series Nikons did indeed make third party flash units into bricks. Same problem with lens manufacturers who have had to reverse engineer even with the original Z6 and Z7 if they wanted to provide lenses for Nikon mirrorless.

I went through this when I upgraded from the Z7 to the Z7ii. None of my Godox flash units or triggers worked anymore. I've heard that Godox firmware upgrades have fixed this, but I am not sure that what I may purchase actually has the upgraded firmware or not. Even a rep from a major retailer told me he couldn't guarantee that the Godox triggers they have in their warehouse all have the proper firmware. From what I understand, the firmware upgrade cannot be done on a Mac, which is what I use.

It all kind've sucks too in that it is impossible to purchase a new Nikon SB-5000 anymore. These worked flawlessly when the Z7ii appeared but third party flash units did not. Nor did Pocket Wizards for that matter....the TTL ones. With those, I had to roll back the firmware in two of mine, making them into non TTL manual pocket wizards in order for them to work at all.

Yes, Canon, Sony, Fuji etc. all work fine as these manufacturers have not tried to prevent third party flash and lenses from working on their cameras.

In my opinion, it's just another in a series of Nikon blunders. They just don't see the forrest for the trees here, as someone choosing a camera is more likely to choose one that works with all kinds of third party accessories over one that reguires you to use only OEM products.

From what I learned from various sources today, if you buy a Godox trigger, it's hit or miss as to whether it has the current firmware. And I still haven't gotten anyone knowledgable enough to tell me whether it works in TTL mode even with the firmware upgrade.

Anyway, thanks again, and I may take your advice and post in the Nikon forum.

Jul 18, 2022 at 09:20 PM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Questions about Godox compatibility

Some places actually rent GODOX equipment these days. You might check to see if they have the newer Godox triggers for Nikon and rent one.

Jul 19, 2022 at 02:40 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Questions about Godox compatibility

Jay968 wrote:
From what I understand, the firmware upgrade cannot be done on a Mac, which is what I use.

From what I learned from various sources today, if you buy a Godox trigger, it's hit or miss as to whether it has the current firmware. And I still haven't gotten anyone knowledgable enough to tell me whether it works in TTL mode even with the firmware upgrade.

Anyway, thanks again, and I may take your advice and post in the Nikon forum.

There is a Mac compatible G3 firmware installer;
http://godox.com/firmware-launcher-installers/

Firmware updates for Godox triggers:
http://godox.com/firmware-control-system/

Additionally, Adorama make available the G3 Mac updater and firmware for vaious flashes and triggers;
https://www.adorama.com/g/flashpoint-firmware-updates

Used with a Nikon Z9
- my Flashpoint R2 ProII N is firmware v1.4 and works in all modes, M, TTL.
- my Godox X2T N is firmware v1.0 and works in all modes, M, TTL.

Jul 19, 2022 at 03:08 PM
Jay968
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Questions about Godox compatibility

Thanks so much. I'll check it all out.

Jul 19, 2022 at 05:13 PM
Jay968
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Questions about Godox compatibility

story_teller wrote:
Some places actually rent GODOX equipment these days. You might check to see if they have the newer Godox triggers for Nikon and rent one.

Thanks for this suggestion.

Jul 19, 2022 at 05:32 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Questions about Godox compatibility

Jay968 wrote:
- I have a Z7ii with the latest firmware and am considering purchasing a new Godox AD200 Pro with either the XPro trigger for Nikon or the XT2 trigger for Nikon. Assuming the Godox equipment is current, can anyone confirm that this will work with the Z7ii?

I can not speak to the XT-2 (do not own one) on a Z7II but I can confirm that the XT-1 works on my Z7II and it will trigger every Godox flash that I have including very early V860n models that will not fire when placed in the hotshoe and there is no firmware update for them.

Jay968 wrote:
- Also, do the Godox products usually need to have their firmware upgraded every time Nikon updates it's firmware?

No, not every time.

Jay968 wrote:
- I've only seen Godox firmware upgrades on their site stating that it's for a D780. Did that firmware upgrade for Z6ii and Z7ii as well?

Thanks

Can not answer that one since most of my Godox flashes are too old to be upgraded with any firmware. I have one new flash, the V860IIIn and the XT-1 and that is all I need because with those two devices I can trigger everything else.

Jul 19, 2022 at 06:03 PM
Jay968
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Questions about Godox compatibility

Thanks for the comment and the others from everyone.
Now I feel much more confident about purchasing the Godox gear.

Jul 20, 2022 at 08:54 AM
Jay968
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Questions about Godox compatibility

Just an update:
I did end up purchasing an AD200 Pro, V1-N and X2T-N. Everything seems to be working ok but I do see that the firmware on the X2T is 1.1 and not the current as listed on Godox's website, 1.2.
I will not update that firmware as I have read of horror stories in various places stating that several X2Ts have been bricked by doing so.
Going forward, this is what scares me most about the Godox products. It seems that there have been many firmware upgrade mishaps over the years.
I'll just have to be careful and proceed with caution.

Jul 28, 2022 at 03:36 PM
CharleyL
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Questions about Godox compatibility

My experience over the last almost 3 years has been that the firmware updates for Godox are very minor and don't significantly affect performance. Almost too little to go to the trouble of updating for. I don't think you will have any problems, even if you leave your transmitter and flash at the levels received, though I don't own any recent Sony cameras to check this. Everything I have is Canon and Godox/Flashpoint now. I own an X2Tc, two X Pro c and a X Pro F and all of my 5 speedlites and 7 studio flashes are Godox and Flashpoint.

My last Sony camera is 22 years old and collects dust most of the time.

Charley

Nov 13, 2022 at 06:26 PM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Questions about Godox compatibility

The biggest challenges with Godox/Flashpoint firmware are the inconsistency and technical barriers of installation. First, you have 3 different installer apps depending on which product you are updating. Second, the Godox USB drivers are unsigned so the installers won't run on Windows 10+ without bypassing or disabling driver signing enforcement and bitlocker disk encryption. I have some old but still functional laptops and one up set up just to do these type of hardware updates. All security is disabled on it so I won't use it for anything else.

Nov 17, 2022 at 01:15 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.