end

Z7 Top Display Stopped Working

ljkamler
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Z7 Top Display Stopped Working

DiscoShrew wrote:
Did you receive a quote for the repair?

I haven't received an "official" quote yet. Nikon directed me to their automated service scheduling page, and that system quotes a minimum of $325 I think. That's more than I want to spend right now, so I haven't sent it in yet.

Aug 02, 2022 at 11:25 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Z7 Top Display Stopped Working

it is an always on OLED. no additional lighting is needed or required as it is self illuminated.

just for reference:

https://photographylife.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-nikon-z-cameras#top-lcd-screen-is-an-oled-display

https://photographylife.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-nikon-z-cameras

they are higher in cost than a simple e-ink display but of higher quality/precision visually, way faster, and since they are self-illuminated, they consume less power (by only illuminating what is needed) and require no external lighting components thus allowing always on when displaying due to its low power consumption.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLED

As this is a single color display it pretty simple. go to a oled monitor/TV screen and it gets a bit more complex.

there are a preponderance of OLED screen designs these days each with their own "special recipe"

Aug 02, 2022 at 12:17 PM
Jan Brittenson
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Z7 Top Display Stopped Working

The Z7 has an OLED. There's no reflective component. The Z9 has a reflective display that's always on while a battery is inserted. When you pull the battery it goes fully reflective so might well be e-ink.

Don't know about the Z7II.

Aug 04, 2022 at 04:47 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Z7 Top Display Stopped Working

Vinnie_VdB wrote:
No need to dramatise the e-ink display and writing: it is finally happening.
The Kindle for instance is using the e-ink display and that reader would not have been around if the screens "finally" fail in masses after 1 year.
Just return the camera to get it repaired.

I bought one of the Kindles that had a display failure after a year or so. It was definitely too soon for the limited amount of usage and not being abused. It was not one of the older yellowish reflected light only Kindles, but a model with a backlit display. It was an Amazon product, so dodgy quality was not a surprise.

EBH

Aug 04, 2022 at 05:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pingflood
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Z7 Top Display Stopped Working

EB-1 wrote:
I bought one of the Kindles that had a display failure after a year or so. It was definitely too soon for the limited amount of usage and not being abused. It was not one of the older yellowish reflected light only Kindles, but a model with a backlit display. It was an Amazon product, so dodgy quality was not a surprise.

EBH

We have four Kindles, from the original one to a fairly recent one. Two are dead but it was due to one of the kids repeatedly trying to jam the wrong charging cable in and damaging the ports. They would still charge occasionally if you wiggled the cable just right but we ended up replacing them since a new one is pretty affordable. Before they got wrecked they worked perfectly fine with weeks of battery life though. I have some friends and family who have pretty old Kindles as well and they are all still going strong. No doubt with the volumes that have been made you will have the occasional dud but overall I would say it is a pretty solid product.

Aug 05, 2022 at 03:00 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Z7 Top Display Stopped Working

Jan Brittenson wrote:
The Z7 has an OLED. There's no reflective component. The Z9 has a reflective display that's always on while a battery is inserted. When you pull the battery it goes fully reflective so might well be e-ink.

Don't know about the Z7II.

the Z6, Z7, Z6II and Z7II are oleds

Aug 05, 2022 at 03:32 AM
ronno
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Z7 Top Display Stopped Working

Drama queens up in here.

Aug 05, 2022 at 04:07 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end