New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

new member post restriction frustration

rimyers2nite

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · new member post restriction frustration

I have started a thread discussing IR photography in the Fuji forum and received replies, but I can’t reply to them because I need 25 posts to do so (but not create a new topic?)

This doesn’t seem to make sense to me. It encourages new members to make frivolous new posts to reach that 25 limit and creates frustration if you start a thread but can’t reply to anyone!

Is there a way around this or is there something obvious I am missing?

Jul 13, 2022 at 01:03 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · new member post restriction frustration

You can send a PM (personal message) to Fred, by clicking on his name, at the 'Moderated by:" link near the top right of most screens. OTOH, I expect you'll be better served by simply finding interesting threads and posting genuine comments. Posting rude, frivolous, and irrelevant comments can get yourself removed from the site.

This site is intended for sharing information on, in, about, and around photography. The B&S forum is provided as a service to regular members who want to buy/sell/exchange gear on an informal basis, without platform-based fees. Well, with fewer fees (e.g. PayPal). None of the B&S money goes to Fred or the FM site.

So, the B&S rules, esp. posting limits, are actually meant to make what you want do, more difficult. This prevents people from swooping in to buy or sell gear (and nothing else), which fits the profile of many ripoff artists, and does not fit the purpose and intent for this site.

Long story short, be patient and join the community. Otherwise; don't, and move on.

Jul 14, 2022 at 06:57 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · new member post restriction frustration

Without being disrespectful to you, Jim is 100% correct.
Welcome and start posting to fulfill the requirements. Since your interest are IR and night photography, FM has the most "primo" IR and night photographers anywhere!!
Dan

Jul 15, 2022 at 10:07 AM
rimyers2nite

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · new member post restriction frustration

I get what you guys are saying! Posting restrictions make a lot of sense for new members -- I am not frustrated by this. What is odd to me -- why is posting new topics not included in the posting limit? As it is now, I have been allowed to create the first post in a thread, but am not allowed to participate further in it. I don't think I should have been allowed to create a thread in the first place!

If I would have known I couldn't reply to my own thread until I met the posting limit, I would have waited until I fulfilled the posting requirements to make the new thread. Know what I mean?

And yeah, looking forward to discussing with others about infrared / UV photography. I guess I'll just come back to that thread I started in a few weeks

EDIT: I can now participate in my own thread for some reason. I will see you guys around on the site!

Jul 18, 2022 at 09:07 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · new member post restriction frustration

rimyers2nite wrote:
I get what you guys are saying! Posting restrictions make a lot of sense for new members -- I am not frustrated by this. What is odd to me -- why is posting new topics not included in the posting limit? As it is now, I have been allowed to create the first post in a thread, but am not allowed to participate further in it. I don't think I should have been allowed to create a thread in the first place!

If I would have known I couldn't reply to my own thread until I met the posting limit, I
...Show more
I think all members can only speculate as to Fred's intention.
I for one, while finding it frustrating for possible new members, endorse it 100%. I have been here long enough to see the "why" Fred did it!
Glad you are up!
Dan

Jul 18, 2022 at 11:37 AM
Erichimedes
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · new member post restriction frustration

jcolwell wrote:
You can send a PM (personal message) to Fred, by clicking on his name, at the 'Moderated by:" link near the top right of most screens. OTOH, I expect you'll be better served by simply finding interesting threads and posting genuine comments. Posting rude, frivolous, and irrelevant comments can get yourself removed from the site.

This site is intended for sharing information on, in, about, and around photography. The B&S forum is provided as a service to regular members who want to buy/sell/exchange gear on an informal basis, without platform-based fees. Well, with fewer fees (e.g. PayPal). None of the
...Show more

I think you missed the part where OP said he can't respond to a post in the Fuji forum, not B&S. I ran into the same issue, and it's indeed a bit odd that the site has some restrictions posting (anywhere) because you don't have enough posts. But I finally figured it out:

To the OP: as a new member myself, I've found that there is a peculiarity in responding to forum posts from a phone. If you try to respond and quote someone, it tells you you need 25 posts or more to participate in that forum, however if you respond to the thread with the "quick reply" feature at the bottom, it works fine. But then if you use a computer, it turns out you can actually quote people and reply like normal.

Maybe it's some sort of security thing. But through some trial & error I've now made some sense of it.

Jul 20, 2022 at 04:36 PM
rimyers2nite

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · new member post restriction frustration

YES

This was it.

I was posting between mobile and computer, also I see the quick reply workaround does let me post in some forums where I am otherwise restricted until I hit 25

You got it

Jul 28, 2022 at 02:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Erichimedes
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · new member post restriction frustration

rimyers2nite wrote:
YES

This was it.

I was posting between mobile and computer, also I see the quick reply workaround does let me post in some forums where I am otherwise restricted until I hit 25

You got it

I also discovered that you can get around this by viewing this website in "desktop mode" on a phone. I used that to quote people until I got past 25 posts.

Odd quirk, but I'm sure Fred has his reasons. It should probably be outlined somewhere so new users don't get discouraged by it.

Jul 29, 2022 at 12:34 PM
Kyyyyyy

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · new member post restriction frustration

It seems like there is a throttle in regards to # of posts per hour or something as well, like maybe 2? Very annoying to start with.

Edit: Maybe not, as people have said, quick reply works fine.

Edit: no I am right, it's like 2-3/hr. Oh well.

Oct 23, 2022 at 01:42 PM
doady
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · new member post restriction frustration

Yeah, I was confused when I first joined here making new threads to show my photos and find I was not being able to respond to people's comments, so I never bothered to try responding to people in any other threads I have made since.

Oct 23, 2022 at 05:24 PM
jgrafton

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · new member post restriction frustration

Has anyone found any new ways around this?

Mar 01, 2024 at 10:57 PM
shuttersmasher

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · new member post restriction frustration

You need to post more or need to join the paid Upload&Sell membership, it appears to be the only solution at the moment, at least

Mar 16, 2024 at 12:52 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · new member post restriction frustration

shuttersmasher wrote:
You need to post more or need to join the paid Upload&Sell membership, it appears to be the only solution at the moment, at least

Was not that way long ago. But circumstances have led Fred to do what is best for him and his members. I support that and have learned, and continue to learn much from FM.com. If you find FM not to your liking move on or support. I don't say that disrespectfully at all!
Dan

Mar 16, 2024 at 02:01 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.