Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Good fluid head for video and 400/600 primes?

matthewh133
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Good fluid head for video and 400/600 primes?

I'm looking to buy a fluid head to pair with my Katana Pro Jnr gimbal head. My thought is the fluid will be good for video, and the Katana for stills. Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent fluid head that will comfortably support a Sony A1 and 400 or 600 prime?

EDIT: I should have mentioned the fluid head would be on a second tripod.

Edited on Jul 18, 2022 at 11:22 AM · View previous versions

Jul 12, 2022 at 07:51 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Good fluid head for video and 400/600 primes?

it would not "pair" per say with the PMG gimbal. it would be one or the other on your choice of tripod. lots of fluid heads out there. Manfrotto to start. price range of course will help determine. actually, both can/will play a roll in stills/video

Jul 14, 2022 at 07:01 PM
Bobarino
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Good fluid head for video and 400/600 primes?

matthewh133 wrote:
I'm looking to buy a fluid head to pair with my Katana Pro Jnr gimbal head. My thought is the fluid will be good for video, and the Katana for stills. Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent fluid head that will comfortably support a Sony A1 and 400 or 600 prime?

Why not kill two birds with one stone;,,, have a look at the Gitzo GHFG1 Fluid Gimbal head.

https://www.gitzo.com/us-en/gimbal-fluid-head-ghfg1/

or,,, if you're keeping your current gimbal,,, you may find the Gitzo GH4383QD ball-head interesting, with its' built in fluid-cartridge panning base.

https://www.gitzo.com/ca-en/gitzo-center-ball-head-quick-release-series-4-gh4383qd/

Jul 16, 2022 at 04:25 PM
Lara_F

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Good fluid head for video and 400/600 primes?

I was just going to ask the same question. A slight difference for me as that I would like to use the fluid head for both video and stills as I may be doing both interchangeably. It looks like this is possible with at least some heads as you can dial down the resistance so it moves freely.

I've seen the the Manfrotto 502AH mentioned in several videos and it's cheap, although one review I saw didn't like it because the switch to lock it in place caused movement in the video.

I've also heard that to get a really good head you have to spend $5K or more. Any thoughts on this?

If anyone has any wildlife video experience I would love to hear recommendations. Spending less money is always good, but I would rather spend more and get the right one the first time than having to upgrade later.

Jul 16, 2022 at 07:36 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Good fluid head for video and 400/600 primes?

Lara_F wrote:
I was just going to ask the same question. A slight difference for me as that I would like to use the fluid head for both video and stills as I may be doing both interchangeably. It looks like this is possible with at least some heads as you can dial down the resistance so it moves freely.

I've seen the the Manfrotto 502AH mentioned in several videos and it's cheap, although one review I saw didn't like it because the switch to lock it in place caused movement in the video.

I've also heard that to get a really good
...Show more

I just got that Manfrotto head but haven’t used it. All I did actually was put it in the freezer and then try it to make sure it wouldn’t lock up in the freezing cold. It didn’t, which was a relief. But other than that, I can’t provide any feedback yet.

Jul 16, 2022 at 08:11 PM
cseelye
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Good fluid head for video and 400/600 primes?

I'm using a Manfrotto MVH500AH Fluid Video Head in combo with a Kirk Fluid head bridge system MVH500-BQRV2 and Kirk quick release bridge syst f/Manfrotto 500AH.
This setup has left my Wimberly gimbal in retirement.
Shooting with either my Nikkor 500 f4 or the 500 pf works just as well. I do keep the Wimberly combined with a Kirk window pod in my vehicle for the occasions that I'm shooting from the car window.
Hudson Henry has a couple you-tube videos where he discusses this setup- that's what inspired me to move to this setup. Much lighter than the gimbal and just as stable. Much easier on my old back when hiking.
-Chris

Jul 17, 2022 at 01:10 PM
Lara_F

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Good fluid head for video and 400/600 primes?

Thanks for the info on the Hudson Henry videos they are very helpful and he also has some that discuss the Sachtler FSB and aktiv models

In my searches I ran across an old thread that talks about Manfrotto vs Sachtler and the counterbalance with a 600

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1483174

Jul 17, 2022 at 08:47 PM
matthewh133
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Good fluid head for video and 400/600 primes?

I ended up buying a Benro S8 fluid head, but realized upon arrival that it's obviously not arca swiss compatible. I don't want to have to change the plate on my 400/600mm from arca swiss for my other tripod to the Benro plate every time I use the S8. Is there a functional method for making this fluid head compatible with my arca swiss plates?

Jul 22, 2022 at 03:20 PM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Good fluid head for video and 400/600 primes?

matthewh133 wrote:
I ended up buying a Benro S8 fluid head, but realized upon arrival that it's obviously not arca swiss compatible. I don't want to have to change the plate on my 400/600mm from arca swiss for my other tripod to the Benro plate every time I use the S8. Is there a functional method for making this fluid head compatible with my arca swiss plates?

You can attach a quick release plate to the Benro plate and just leave it on all the time.

Something like this possibly

https://www.adorama.com/sr2143b.html?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=Cj0KCQjwuO6WBhDLARIsAIdeyDIkYApZkv0XBE8sOREW-yzRYij8wogWK5m_7pCT1CijQkanMoDrA2QaAlNUEALw_wcB&gclid=Cj0KCQjwuO6WBhDLARIsAIdeyDIkYApZkv0XBE8sOREW-yzRYij8wogWK5m_7pCT1CijQkanMoDrA2QaAlNUEALw_wcB&utm_source=adl-gbase-p&utm_medium=affiliate

I use the Kessler plate but a bit pricey for that head, but it is a great plate. I used it on the Sachtler FSB head, I actually have a custom plate made that discarded the Sachtler plate all together and attached the Kessler direct. Not sure if that can be done with the Benro.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1088258-REG/kessler_crane_mg1001_kwik_release_receiver.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=Cj0KCQjwuO6WBhDLARIsAIdeyDKVtULUqFSNSAWVDs0cr_7LXuyIy2VN2oVXnT5PSVrLZKw36ePlzx4aAmcJEALw_wcB
Here it is with the custom plate

400mm DO II + 400mm f2.8 Mk III by A & R Photography, on Flickr

Jul 23, 2022 at 08:25 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Good fluid head for video and 400/600 primes?

The best combo gimbal head that is also relatively inexpensive is the Gitzo gimbal head. The only drawback is that it cannot be locked down completely. Very smooth tilts and pans and easy to adjust to get the lens axis in line with the pivot point.

I use the Gitzo a good deal but recently added a Sachtler Ace XL video head and a Robus RC-5570 CF tripod. The Robus converts quickly from a standard tripod with base plate to a video tripod with its 75mm bowl.

Jul 27, 2022 at 04:19 PM
rdcny
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Good fluid head for video and 400/600 primes?

This one is really lightweight - yet supports a good deal of weight. I can use it for my 400mm F2.8 lens...but mostly I use it for a spotting scope (Swarovski):

https://www.acratech.net/video-products/video-head/video-ballhead/

it has been out of stock for some time; try calling them for info...I purchased mine about two years ago via Ebay for 1/2 list - and it has worked flawlessly - and an American company too

Aug 08, 2022 at 03:23 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.