New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · R3 EVF settings

RKnecht
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · R3 EVF settings

Right now I have the EVF set to show me what my exposure will look like once I dial in any compensation. However, what I see in the EVF and what I am getting out of the camera aren't even close. My files look very over exposed compared to what the EVF is showing me at the time I took the shot. I have the EVF brightness set to "Auto". Just wondering what others have it set to.

Jul 08, 2022 at 07:02 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · R3 EVF settings

I look at the histogram….i realize you have to take photo first, but it works.

Jul 08, 2022 at 09:39 AM
Sy Sez
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · R3 EVF settings

To acquire a reasonable WYSIWYG in the EVF likely requires some EVF brightness adjustment trials.

If the histogram defies the visual tonality, a brightness adjustment may very well be in order?

Jul 08, 2022 at 10:25 AM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · R3 EVF settings

Herb wrote:
I look at the histogram….i realize you have to take photo first, but it works.

Since the histogram in a ML camera EVF is in real-time "reading" the sensor, one could take a shot, and if the image tonality does not match that of the histogram, adjust the EVF Brightness to match the histogram.

With my R5, I started with VF Brightness in AUTO but got mixed results.
Ended up on Manual setting (4), with better all-around results for me.---may differ for others / other cameras?

Jul 08, 2022 at 11:08 AM
RKnecht
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · R3 EVF settings

Thanks folks. I’ll give it a go. My R5 and R3 are my first mirrorless cameras let alone my first Canon cameras. Appreciate the help.

Jul 08, 2022 at 11:16 AM
jedibrain
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · R3 EVF settings

I don't have an R3, but on the R6 if conditions are tough I'll actually set the viewfiender to display the histogram, and then make exposure adjustments to make sure I'm not clipping the highlights. If following action the VF can get too crowded with the histogram up, but it does work in a variety of circumstances.

Jul 08, 2022 at 11:39 AM
Mike Jacks0n
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · R3 EVF settings

Its definitely a trial and error setup for critical highlight monitoring. The brightness setting on the camera will need to be adjusted to match to the output. And for me, it also took getting a feel for what was overexposed in the EVF. Using AUTO was absolute garbage for exposure judging, IMO. I imagine everyone's can be a little different but I used a brightness setting of 4 on my R5 and a rented R3, like Sy Sez.

I wish Canon would have allow the zebras in stills or set up a "blinky" pre-shot assist but it is what it is.

Jul 08, 2022 at 05:53 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.