New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2022 · GPU Accelleration settings in LR for Mac Pro M1

PaulReif
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · GPU Accelleration settings in LR for Mac Pro M1

I am running a Mac Pro M1 Pro with 32 GB ram and have "auto" set for GPU accelleration as opposed to "custom". Tools and Brush performance are quite good but I do occaisionally get some spinning rainbows. Any Suggestions?

Jul 07, 2022 at 10:36 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · GPU Accelleration settings in LR for Mac Pro M1

My settings

Jul 09, 2022 at 07:39 AM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · GPU Accelleration settings in LR for Mac Pro M1

The spinning beachball is Adobe giving us all the finger. If they don't work these things out for the M1 chips in the next 12 months or so, not sure what I'll do...

Jul 18, 2022 at 07:00 PM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · GPU Accelleration settings in LR for Mac Pro M1

Jeff wrote:
The spinning beachball is Adobe giving us all the finger. If they don't work these things out for the M1 chips in the next 12 months or so, not sure what I'll do...

Pffffttttt. This has been a problem with Adobe forever. It's not an Apple Silicon thing, or frankly even an Apple thing. At my office we have a huge overpowered Windows machine with top of the line Nvidia RTX cards in it (dual RTX 6000s with 24GB of RAM each) and it's actually just as bad, if not worse.

There's a memory leak in the graphics card code that seems to be persist/be regressed back into the code regularly. Eventually the only solution is to restart Lightroom. The best overall performance I've seen so far on any of my computers is actually my new Mac Studio 128GB, probably because LR can pig out on VRAM for a long time before things get goofy.

Aug 02, 2022 at 04:49 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · GPU Accelleration settings in LR for Mac Pro M1

Yes, indeed it has been a problem forever. I guess my point was that Adobe's years-old 'performance suggestions' document is now pretty much moot if a fully-loaded M1 computer can't do anything much better than the Intel chip Mac that it replaced. Adobe really needs to address these performance issues in a meaningful way, and they can no longer blame hardware idiosyncrasies with the laggy, stuttery responsiveness of their UI to their bloated, crap code.

Really wish Apple would reinvent Aperture for the current world; that program had some very nice features and quite decent performance.

Aug 02, 2022 at 05:42 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · GPU Accelleration settings in LR for Mac Pro M1

Jeff wrote:

Adobe knows that what you'll most likely do (along with the rest of us who have indentured ourselves to Adobe over the decades) is put up with their garbage code and continue to ante up the monthly Adobe rent. Heck, I'll be the next "upgrade" to the software will be more of an improvement to Abobe shareholders (via a subscription price hike) than end users.

Aug 09, 2022 at 05:16 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · GPU Accelleration settings in LR for Mac Pro M1

Lots of bitching here. Rather than bitch…vote with your wallets.

Aug 09, 2022 at 06:37 PM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · GPU Accelleration settings in LR for Mac Pro M1

chez wrote:

. It's not that simple; nothing quite combines the features that Lightroom has. Capture One is not even close when it comes to DAM features and quite frankly is even slower than Lightroom. There are some newer apps that have some great features and perform well, but also lack features. I've bought multiple ones and used multiple ones.

It's good to bitch sometimes so the vendors have some knowledge of what the customer base likes. If the thread doesn't interest you, just pass on it rather than passing judgment.

Aug 09, 2022 at 07:06 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · GPU Accelleration settings in LR for Mac Pro M1

chez wrote:

Like you've never bitched in an FM thread?

Nov 08, 2022 at 12:06 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · GPU Accelleration settings in LR for Mac Pro M1

Jeff wrote:
Like you've never bitched in an FM thread?

Never cried about a product I bought. If you don't like what you have, just get something else rather than bitching about it. Like I said, vote with your wallet rather than your voice...Adobe don't give a rat's ass about your whining if you keep sending them money.

Nov 08, 2022 at 12:18 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · GPU Accelleration settings in LR for Mac Pro M1

jhapeman wrote:
It's good to bitch sometimes so the vendors have some knowledge of what the customer base likes. If the thread doesn't interest you, just pass on it rather than passing judgment.

I looked into this thread to gain some knowledge about how to optimize LR with respect to the GPU. I did not look into the thread to see all the usual Adobe bashing that seems to pop up everywhere.

Nov 08, 2022 at 12:21 PM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · GPU Accelleration settings in LR for Mac Pro M1

chez wrote:
I looked into this thread to gain some knowledge about how to optimize LR with respect to the GPU. I did not look into the thread to see all the usual Adobe bashing that seems to pop up everywhere.

In my experience, it's generally best to let the GPU settings stay on "Auto" in Lightroom. Every time I've had issues it's been when I changed that, and if you prowl the Adobe support forums that's a recurring theme. It seems their auto setting generally just gives the best overall performance.

Nov 08, 2022 at 12:47 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · GPU Accelleration settings in LR for Mac Pro M1

chez wrote:
Never cried about a product I bought. If you don't like what you have, just get something else rather than bitching about it. Like I said, vote with your wallet rather than your voice...Adobe don't give a rat's ass about your whining if you keep sending them money.

Most of the companies I've worked for care a great deal about customer loyalty, and would rather keep you happy than grudgingly dependent. That's why they have feedback channels. Given the relatively low cost of entry for software disruptors, I'd be surprised if Adobe wasn't paying attention to customer complaints. They know that a lot of users are trying to wean themselves off Abobe products (which explains why they worked as quickly as they did to fix their botched iPadOS release of Photoshop). Autodesk is facing similar concerns - their Byzantine Maya and 3DStudio Max apps are being challenged by the very capable Blender3D, which is free, has better support communities, and excellent features and performance. If something like Blender3D ever appeared in the imaging world, Adobe's Photoshop empire would face some real risk.

Nov 08, 2022 at 02:44 PM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · GPU Accelleration settings in LR for Mac Pro M1

Arka wrote:
Most of the companies I've worked for care a great deal about customer loyalty, and would rather keep you happy than grudgingly dependent. That's why they have feedback channels. Given the relatively low cost of entry for software disruptors, I'd be surprised if Adobe wasn't paying attention to customer complaints. They know that a lot of users are trying to wean themselves off Abobe products (which explains why they worked as quickly as they did to fix their botched iPadOS release of Photoshop). Autodesk is facing similar concerns - their Byzantine Maya and 3DStudio Max apps are being challenged by
...Show more

There was a time that looked like it might happen with Gimp, but it really just never took off. I suspect the open nature of Blender has been more beneficial to its user base than something like a PS competitor.

That aside, you are 100% correct, and the huge jumps in both performance and new functionality in Lightroom in the last two years I think directly reflect the rise in real completion from the likes of ON1, Affinity and others. I personally respond to every survey Adobe sends me and let them know straight up what other competitors I am using/evaluating and why. I am gratified to see them finally start to take some action in the last few releases.

Nov 08, 2022 at 02:56 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · GPU Accelleration settings in LR for Mac Pro M1

Using Bridge now, thinking LR when I get my MBP in a few.

Does this LR issue have any influence on whether a 16, 24 or 32 core GPU is installed. Still trying to understand where to land the GPU on the Pro vs. Max.

Many say video (stills only here) is the only reason to get a Max, the extra GPU is a waste for stills ...

Is this more of a GPU issue, or a RAM issue in LR?

Would more GPU cores be beneficial for LR?

Nov 08, 2022 at 02:59 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · GPU Accelleration settings in LR for Mac Pro M1

Arka wrote:
Most of the companies I've worked for care a great deal about customer loyalty, and would rather keep you happy than grudgingly dependent. That's why they have feedback channels. Given the relatively low cost of entry for software disruptors, I'd be surprised if Adobe wasn't paying attention to customer complaints. They know that a lot of users are trying to wean themselves off Abobe products (which explains why they worked as quickly as they did to fix their botched iPadOS release of Photoshop). Autodesk is facing similar concerns - their Byzantine Maya and 3DStudio Max apps are being challenged by
...Show more

I have no issues complaining about Adobe…but why pollute every single thread discussing an Adobe product with this constant complaint? Why not jump onto the Adobe boards and directly tell them your issues. I would think you’d get much more Adobe audience on their own boards than some foreign FM thread buried in the Post and a processing board. At the very least, open your own thread that prime focus is to list Adobe issues.

Nov 08, 2022 at 03:11 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · GPU Accelleration settings in LR for Mac Pro M1

RustyBug wrote:
Using Bridge now, thinking LR when I get my MBP in a few.

Does this LR issue have any influence on whether a 16, 24 or 32 core GPU is installed. Still trying to understand where to land the GPU on the Pro vs. Max.

Many say video (stills only here) is the only reason to get a Max, the extra GPU is a waste for stills ...

Is this more of a GPU issue, or a RAM issue in LR?

Would more GPU cores be beneficial for LR?

Don’t know about how much LR uses the GPU today, but since you cannot upgrade a Mac’s GPU, I’d lean towards more GPU than less as I believe we’ll see more GPU usage over the years.

Nov 08, 2022 at 03:13 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · GPU Accelleration settings in LR for Mac Pro M1

Both my iMac and MacBook Air work best in Auto.

Nov 08, 2022 at 03:27 PM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · GPU Accelleration settings in LR for Mac Pro M1

chez wrote:
Don’t know about how much LR uses the GPU today, but since you cannot upgrade a Mac’s GPU, I’d lean towards more GPU than less as I believe we’ll see more GPU usage over the years.

Yes and no. GPUs are very good at SOME things, but not everything. The hybrid approach is superior and in fact, you'll see it change to even more hybrid in the future as companies like Intel and AMD are now taking a page from the Apple Silicon/ARM approach with mixed performance and efficiency cores on the CPU, and adding things like AI engines (and the GPU folks are jumping in that space too). We're just starting to see some software leverage the Apple Neural Engines, for example.

BTW, as a related note I did some comparison testing of the latest release of Capture One and LRC, and it's a good example: C1 uses the GPU for exports, vs. Adobe which uses the CPU. Lightroom absolutely smoked C1 on exports, and it scaled extremely well across all 20 cores on the Mac Studio Ultra. On the flip side, when I compared a number of tasks that I know use the GPU, the performance gain from 64 vs 48 GPU cores was negligible. I'm sure with code optimization that will change some, but the reality is that GPUs are designed to very good at some tasks, but they are not very good at others.

Nov 08, 2022 at 03:35 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · GPU Accelleration settings in LR for Mac Pro M1

jhapeman wrote:
the performance gain from 64 vs 48 GPU cores was negligible. I'm sure with code optimization that will change some,

Which makes me wonder ... how much dependency on GPU cores will code optimitization target?

I mean, will software target optimization toward 8, 16, 24, 32, 48, 64 or 128 cores? It seems that the bell curve of consumers will NOT be using rigs with 64 GPU cores, whereas most everyone will soon have at least 8 GPU cores. What would you consider the developers might consider as a "sweet spot", or will it be skies the limit at more is better, to infinity and beyond?

I'm thinking that the bell curve is going to be in the 16 GPU territory down the road, but that may still be off a ways down the road. Or, asked a different way, how long will it be before 32 GPU (i.e. more than 16) cores are considered "the norm" for software dev? We've seen this game before ... and if history is any indication, the "future" doesn't come around nearly as fast as the premise of "future proofing".

My understanding (in addition to more GPU cores) is that the Max version has double the video encoders ... giving video folks a 2X (ish) boost. So, for a stills application, the basic gain for the Max would be more GPU cores (24 or 32), and the ability to install 64GB RAM (which then doubles the pipes and volume jumps from 200/sec to 400/sec).

So, the question remains if LR can advantage the 64GB (vs. 32GB). And, then if LR can advantage the more GPU cores (24 or 32 vs. 16) to help offset the OP's complaint?

Short question is thus ... is there a compelling reason to have more than 16 GPU cores to help with the OP's LR issue?

Nov 08, 2022 at 05:53 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.