Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2022 · Leveling base for tripod with Gimbal and big lenses...

Methodical
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Leveling base for tripod with Gimbal and big lenses...

ilkka_nissila wrote:
I have several leveling solutions. The one I like best is Gitzo's leveling base for Systematic tripods:

https://www.gitzo.com/global/leveling-base-systematic-gslvls/

It requires replacing the standard top plate with a video adapter:

The GSLVLS fits onto any Gitzo Systematic tripod via the optional 75mm video adapter GS3321V75 (for Series 3and4 tripods) or GS5321V75 (for Series 5 tripods).

I love how it has good range for tilt and it is very fast to adjust. I use it with fluid and gimbal heads. Saves a lot of time when setting up.

How long is the tightening handle? I did not find that piece of information. Also, what is that long lever on the unit used for?

Jan 10, 2023 at 02:44 PM
Methodical
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Leveling base for tripod with Gimbal and big lenses...

jmckayak wrote:
I use the RRS leveler on the RRS 34 tripod. The system works well especially at the shore. The leveler always shifts when carrying the rig on my shoulder. Gitzo 5541 with the Gitzo leveler also works very well but it does shift when carrying on the shoulder. I had an Induro ‘systematic’ tripod with leveler. It worked well but the plastic handle on the leveler did come loose. Fixed that with glue. That also shifted when shoulder carrying. The UuniqueBall head is much smaller and lighter rig than a full gimbal but that will also shift when carrying.
Every
...Show more

Wow, I was hoping this was not something standard. After the incident when mine slipped, I opened one of the legs so that I could get my hand in and was able to cinch it down pretty good and it did not move after that, so that gave me some confident that if I have a longer handle to tighten thoroughly, it should work.

Jan 10, 2023 at 02:46 PM
Flowernut
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Leveling base for tripod with Gimbal and big lenses...

Methodical wrote:
I purchase the RRS leveling base with the stub because I wanted to be able to get the tripod nearly flat. However, when I tested it I had trouble getting my hand in between the legs to tighten the leveler. So, it's going back to B&H. I am now looking at the version with the short handle underneath or this unit with the tightening tabs at the top.

How secure is the leveling base with a big tele lens on it when slung over shoulder and did it add much height? Can you get it really tightened with the 3 tabs?

Thanks...Al

I've had no problem locking down a RRS TA-2U-LB so that it does not slip when I have a 600 f4 over my shoulder.

Jan 10, 2023 at 03:01 PM
downhillonwater
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Leveling base for tripod with Gimbal and big lenses...

Check out the Flex Shooter Pro. Not a gimbal but damn close. There are a few videos on YouTube. Whistling Wings, Steve Matheis, Scott Keys. The last one makes comparisons.

Jan 10, 2023 at 03:26 PM
Methodical
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Leveling base for tripod with Gimbal and big lenses...

Thanks, but I already have a gimbal and won't be spending another $600 on this setup.

Jan 12, 2023 at 06:27 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.