Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Leveling base for tripod with Gimbal and big lenses...

Methodical
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leveling base for tripod with Gimbal and big lenses...

Does anyone use a leveling base with their Gimbal and big lenses? If so, which version do you use an why?

Thanks...

Jul 05, 2022 at 02:11 PM
aCuria
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leveling base for tripod with Gimbal and big lenses...

Methodical wrote:
Does anyone use a leveling base with their Gimbal and big lenses? If so, which version do you use an why?

Thanks...

I use a video head… the “leveling base” is a 100mm ball

The main disadvantage is that if you want the head to swing around fast, you dial the drag down to 0 and the camera won’t stay in exactly the same position when you let go

If you dial the drag up then the camera will stay put, but you can’t swing it around fast

But on a gimbal do you care if the tripod is tilted up/down?

Left/right tilts can be leveled out some by rotating the lens about the tripod collar?

Jul 09, 2022 at 01:53 PM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leveling base for tripod with Gimbal and big lenses...

I use a leveling base and a Wimberly full gimbal head. The tripod can be in nearly any position, you level the leveling base, and if you have the gimbal balanced out (as you should) the camera will stay put in any position with zero drag. It's as quick as you can get with a long lens on a tripod.

Jul 09, 2022 at 03:08 PM
Newenglandrocks
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leveling base for tripod with Gimbal and big lenses...

I do use a Leofoto leveling base with a Fotopro Eagle gimbal. I don't run huge lenses on it - the Sony 200-600 and the 70-200 GM ii. The main use is for multishot panoramas with the 200-600. They are fun to take and the leveling head lets me simply swing the camera from left to right (or up and down if that's my fancy) and keep everything nicely lined up.

Jul 09, 2022 at 03:57 PM
Flowernut
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leveling base for tripod with Gimbal and big lenses...

yes
have used gitzo, RRS, etc. mostly RRS TA-2U-LB but currently trying leofoto due to availability issues at the time. Not used it enough to know about leofoto yet.

Edited on Jul 10, 2022 at 06:36 PM · View previous versions

Jul 10, 2022 at 09:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leveling base for tripod with Gimbal and big lenses...

I use the RRS 75mm bowl leveling base with the long handle on my Systematic Gitzo 3 series LS. That setup has the Kirk/RRS QR for use with either a full gimbal HD4 Jobu or BH55. It works very well, especially compared to the inline RRS 2 series leveling base.

Jul 10, 2022 at 10:45 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leveling base for tripod with Gimbal and big lenses...

Acratech one for me.

Jul 11, 2022 at 06:12 PM
armd
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leveling base for tripod with Gimbal and big lenses...

Why struggle? I use a solid base with a Flex shooter pro. Smaller, easier to travel with and without the hassles or limitations of a gimbal. https://www.amazon.com/FlexLine-FlexShooter-Pro-Black/dp/B07WNK599N?th=1

Jul 11, 2022 at 08:53 PM
Vancouver47
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leveling base for tripod with Gimbal and big lenses...

I use a Gitzo levelling base with my Wimberly II gimbal. Unfortunately the levelling bubble is miles off and it was a major hassle to get it fixed. So, I just put a hand level on the leveller and a dot on the glass when corrected. It's only just OK.

Jul 17, 2022 at 12:54 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password