New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Thoughts on Dell XPS desktop for photo editing

Keiththom
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thoughts on Dell XPS desktop for photo editing

What are your thoughts on Dell XPS Desktop computers for photo editing. (reliability / customer service / etc) My current computer is in bad need of replacing and I'm looking at Dells. If not Dell, what else? Thanks !

Jul 05, 2022 at 10:53 AM
rdcny
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thoughts on Dell XPS desktop for photo editing

the local computer shop should be able to put one together for you...test it and hand it over in less than a week's time. You can easily figure out what parts you will need (see partspicker.com) - and then search for best price.

Otherwise I have a Dell XPS LAPTOP - it is amazing, reliable...I have not had a name brand desktop in many (15+) years...I build them or someone builds for me these days...they can test on a bench, I cannot!

Check Dell outlet for desktops.

Jul 05, 2022 at 03:36 PM
dclark
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thoughts on Dell XPS desktop for photo editing

I use an older Dell XPS laptop and it's a capable system for LR and PS photo editing. I am sure the Dell desktops can be configured well for photo editing.

Puget Systems make workstations for photo and video editing and their web site has lots of benchmark testing and system configuration information. It's well worth reviewing their information. I build my own desktop computers but I use their information for configuration and parts selection.
https://www.pugetsystems.com/all_articles.php

Dave

Jul 05, 2022 at 05:25 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thoughts on Dell XPS desktop for photo editing

Avoid prebuilt PC's like the plague, especially DELLs. They are terrible performers, full of garbage proprietary components, bottom of the barrel parts, and bloatware. They are still using 15 year old case designs and they use a predatory sales tactics such as automatically opting you into things you did not ask for during the sales process.

Your best bet is to either build your own PC (it's not nearly as daunting as it sounds), or pay a reputable shop to build one for you with individually selected off-the-shelf parts. You will end up with a machine that is an order of magnitude better than the average prebuilt PC. I'd be more than happy to help you select parts if needed.

Here is some watching material for you from arguably the most reputable and objective PC hardware channel out there:

DELL is not alone in this, they are just the worst offender. DELL's laptops are inexplicably much better than their desktop offerings.

Jul 06, 2022 at 02:42 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.