Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Canon R7 - RAW BURST MODE - 1/2 Second Pre-shoot for Wildlife Photograph...

IndyFab
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon R7 - RAW BURST MODE - 1/2 Second Pre-shoot for Wildlife Photography - Gimmick?? or Legit??

Jul 05, 2022 at 02:18 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon R7 - RAW BURST MODE - 1/2 Second Pre-shoot for Wildlife Photography - Gimmick?? or Legit??

The fact that it gobbles all the frames into one monstrous CR3 file, that no other software knows anything about and you're forced to use DPP to extract EVERY. SINGLE. FRAME. MANUALLY. through the absolutely ugly "workflow" is incredibly unproductive. Why not save 60 raw files right off bat? Can't wait for someone to come up with a command line tool to split them up...

Jul 06, 2022 at 01:57 PM
Vince Maidens
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon R7 - RAW BURST MODE - 1/2 Second Pre-shoot for Wildlife Photography - Gimmick?? or Legit??

It is a crap workflow, and hopefully Adobe will work to support it, however I can see some value in it with say shooting a really high speed subject that gives no tell on what it's about to do. Say a Kingfisher, the bird gives no sense of flight it just does, so having it in the pocket for a situation where you want a launch then it might be very useful.

Other than a situation like that, I can't see using it much in it's current state.

Jul 06, 2022 at 02:50 PM
jedibrain
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon R7 - RAW BURST MODE - 1/2 Second Pre-shoot for Wildlife Photography - Gimmick?? or Legit??

Seems like its recording a video of sorts and just dumping the last x seconds of buffer to a file.

I'm wondering if they'll institute something like this via firmware on the R5/6? For me at least it wouldn't be something regularly used, but it would be interesting. I'm not going to complain too loud about curious workflow to extract pictures the camera took for me before I knew I needed to take them.

-Brian

Jul 06, 2022 at 03:11 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon R7 - RAW BURST MODE - 1/2 Second Pre-shoot for Wildlife Photography - Gimmick?? or Legit??

jedibrain wrote:
Seems like its recording a video of sorts and just dumping the last x seconds of buffer to a file.

Exactly, but it should be possible for a sane 3rd party to extract it.

I'm wondering if they'll institute something like this via firmware on the R5/6?

...and the R3. The R7 feels in many ways more like the R3, including the things that I don't like about it, than the R5. Definitely this is just software, keeping N frames in the buffer and retroactively writing them out if the user presses the button. Smart idea, terrible implementation.

Jul 06, 2022 at 03:17 PM
IndyFab
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon R7 - RAW BURST MODE - 1/2 Second Pre-shoot for Wildlife Photography - Gimmick?? or Legit??

stanj wrote:
The fact that it gobbles all the frames into one monstrous CR3 file, that no other software knows anything about and you're forced to use DPP to extract EVERY. SINGLE. FRAME. MANUALLY. through the absolutely ugly "workflow" is incredibly unproductive. Why not save 60 raw files right off bat? Can't wait for someone to come up with a command line tool to split them up...

---------------------------------------------

Vince Maidens wrote:
It is a crap workflow, and hopefully Adobe will work to support it, however I can see some value in it with say shooting a really high speed subject that gives no tell on what it's about to do. Say a Kingfisher, the bird gives no sense of flight it just does, so having it in the pocket for a situation where you want a launch then it might be very useful.

Other than a situation like that, I can't see using it much in it's current state.

jedibrain wrote:

I'm wondering if they'll institute something like this via firmware on the R5/6? For me at least it wouldn't be something regularly used, but it would be interesting. I'm not going to complain too loud about curious workflow to extract pictures the camera took for me before I knew I needed to take them.

-Brian

Overall it seems to be a nice new feature, but not very user friendly to activate fast. Maybe there is a workaround yet to be discovered, or a firmware update that will resolve activation, as you cant program it to a dial or button. .

Another issue is you have to use Canon software at this time to extract the Roll to get to the CR3 files you want, hopefully, eventually you will be able to use other software editors to do that. Once again more steps to get to your CR3 file.

On a scale of 1-10 a 5 for user friendly. The best thing I could see it for is, when your waiting for a bird to fly from a perch, you will get that series of shots, so long as you keep that shutter 1/2 down prior to releasing shutter it will grab 15 sec's/15 frames .

Overall it just needs to be improved and made user friendly !!

Edited on Jul 06, 2022 at 04:05 PM · View previous versions

Jul 06, 2022 at 04:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon R7 - RAW BURST MODE - 1/2 Second Pre-shoot for Wildlife Photography - Gimmick?? or Legit??

IndyFab wrote:
Overall it seems to be a nice new feature, but not very user friendly to activate fast. Maybe there is a workaround yet to be discovered, or a firmware update that will resolve activation, as you cant program it to a dial or button. .

You can assign it to a button, I have it on the star button. But it brings up the popup menu, rather than simply toggling it. As you said, not ideal user experience

Jul 06, 2022 at 04:05 PM
IndyFab
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon R7 - RAW BURST MODE - 1/2 Second Pre-shoot for Wildlife Photography - Gimmick?? or Legit??

stanj wrote:
You can assign it to a button, I have it on the star button. But it brings up the popup menu, rather than simply toggling it. As you said, not ideal user experience

I dont have the camera yet, but folks on another site were complaining that you could not assign it to a dial or button, thanks for the clarification Stan

Jul 06, 2022 at 04:07 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon R7 - RAW BURST MODE - 1/2 Second Pre-shoot for Wildlife Photography - Gimmick?? or Legit??

I've played with this a bit on my M6II. It is a handy feature for very specialized, IMHO, activities like catching a fast event when you can't predict the start. I don't use DPP but I extract raw files in-camera from the single larger file. A bit tedious, yes, but not a frequent need. Usually you are looking for an exact moment and scrolling through to find it is not that bad.

With the M6II, raw burst is the only way to get 30 fps. 30 fps is readily available with the R7, but without prebuffer. I'd only use it if I required the prebuffer. You can't save burst mode as a custom mode. I've added it to My Menu for quicker access.

stanj wrote:

I didn't know this, thanks. New since the M. I don't use this enough and will leave it in My Menu. I'll check and see if I can do this with focus bracketing. I use that a lot more.

Jul 06, 2022 at 04:14 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon R7 - RAW BURST MODE - 1/2 Second Pre-shoot for Wildlife Photography - Gimmick?? or Legit??

Focus bracketing is not one of the button assignment options. It too will stay in My Menu.

Since I don't use AF-on (yes, silly me ), I've assigned it to start/stop servo mode in Av. I also found start/stop tracking and assigned it to the point selection button, below *. It operates differently, starting tracking from the object it finds at the focus point location even if not in focus. The object it selects (non-living) is different from shutter half-press. I'll have to play with this.

Jul 06, 2022 at 04:44 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon R7 - RAW BURST MODE - 1/2 Second Pre-shoot for Wildlife Photography - Gimmick?? or Legit??

Jeff Nolten wrote:
I also found start/stop tracking and assigned it to the point selection button, below *. It operates differently, starting tracking from the object it finds at the focus point location even if not in focus. The object it selects (non-living) is different from shutter half-press. I'll have to play with this.

Yes, it's this difference in tracking between the R5 and R3/R7 that drives me completely bonkers with the R3, and now with the R7. I find it far more confusing than the R5 implementation. I guess it has to do that my two R5s have more than 100x as much mileage as my R3.

Jul 06, 2022 at 06:41 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon R7 - RAW BURST MODE - 1/2 Second Pre-shoot for Wildlife Photography - Gimmick?? or Legit??

Too many cameras to keep track of.

Jul 06, 2022 at 07:27 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password