Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Canon ES-71 vs ES-71 II Lens Hoods: What's the Difference?

POTOMAN

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon ES-71 vs ES-71 II Lens Hoods: What's the Difference?

I'm planning on getting meself a lens hood for me Canon EF 50mm 1.4. I notice there are two genuine Canon options for this lens. The regular ES-71 and an ES-71 II. Have access to both on the used market.

Knowing Canon, and their historical corporate behaviour, I'm suspicisous as to whether or not the "II" version of the ES-71 lens hood is actually any better than the original.

We all remember what happened with the EF 50mm version "II"...

Does anyone know the difference?

I am usually let down by aftermarket parts so am not going to be getting the $1.50 option from China, as tempting as it is.

Am I overthinking this? Probably.

Jul 04, 2022 at 04:54 PM
JohnSil
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon ES-71 vs ES-71 II Lens Hoods: What's the Difference?

I have no idea but one might have a window to adjust a polarizer and the other not??
John

Jul 04, 2022 at 05:11 PM
POTOMAN

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon ES-71 vs ES-71 II Lens Hoods: What's the Difference?

JohnSil wrote:
I have no idea but one might have a window to adjust a polarizer and the other not??
John

Never even knew that was a thing. Checked images of both, see no cutouts/windows on either.

This keeps me up at night.

Jul 04, 2022 at 06:21 PM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon ES-71 vs ES-71 II Lens Hoods: What's the Difference?

I'll make a semi-educated guess that the EW-71 hood is painted flat black on the inside where the newer version EW-71 II is flocked a fuzzy/velvet black inside. The velvet flocking is less reflective and overall better especially after basic cleaning where the painted surface starts to take on a bit of a shine.

This was the case with my EW-65 vs EW 65 II hoods.

In contrast the ES-65 and ET-65 hoods started out flocked then the version II changed to flat black paint then finally switching back to the flocking. I guess Canon was having trouble making up their mind(s).

Otherwise the hoods had no other difference except for the model name version # changes.

Jul 04, 2022 at 08:10 PM
POTOMAN

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon ES-71 vs ES-71 II Lens Hoods: What's the Difference?

Photonadave wrote:
I'll make a semi-educated guess that the EW-71 hood is painted flat black on the inside where the newer version EW-71 II is flocked a fuzzy/velvet black inside. The velvet flocking is less reflective and overall better especially after basic cleaning where the painted surface starts to take on a bit of a shine.

This was the case with my EW-65 vs EW 65 II hoods.

In contrast the ES-65 and ET-65 hoods started out flocked then the version II changed to flat black paint then finally switching back to the flocking. I guess Canon was having trouble making up their mind(s).

Otherwise
...Show more

I also was thinking it probably has something to do with the interior finish of the hood.

I have the flocked one that came with my 85L II and though you're probably right regarding it being less reflective, I hate cleaning it as I'm scared I'm going to damage the flocking if I'm too agressive. It is a lint magnet and I'm constantly trying to clean white reflective dust and lint out of it.

If that is indeed the case I'd prefer the hypothetical flat black interior painted one...

Edited on Jul 04, 2022 at 09:13 PM · View previous versions

Jul 04, 2022 at 08:32 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon ES-71 vs ES-71 II Lens Hoods: What's the Difference?

I'm guessing from the pattern on other hood upgraded to II version but I suspect the older EW-71is Japan made and sports felt flocking, whereas the EW-71 II is probably offshore made and cuts corners with black paint on the interior.

Jul 04, 2022 at 09:00 PM
POTOMAN

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon ES-71 vs ES-71 II Lens Hoods: What's the Difference?

Gochugogi wrote:
I'm guessing from the pattern on other hood upgraded to II version but I suspect the older EW-71is Japan made and sports felt flocking, whereas the EW-71 II is probably offshore made and cuts corners with black paint on the interior.

Looks like the inverse may be true regarding the flocking and paint. Not sure about the country of origin theory.

Just did some image "researching". The version II looks like it may be flocked. It does say "MADE IN JAPAN" on the hood exterior, and "Made in Japan" on a Canon retail box I've found. Hard to say 100% if it is indeed flocked because I can't be sure from the quality/size/angle of the pictures I'm looking at.

The older version does say "JAPAN" on the hood, but not "MADE IN". The limited pictures I've seen looks like it may indeed be painted, but again I'm guessing as the pictures weren't good enough to be sure.

I think we're getting close folks...

Jul 04, 2022 at 09:12 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon ES-71 vs ES-71 II Lens Hoods: What's the Difference?

POTOMAN wrote:
I have the flocked one that came with my 85L II and though you're probably right regarding it being less reflective, I hate cleaning it as I'm scared I'm going to damage the flocking if I'm too agressive. It is a lint magnet and I'm constantly trying to clean white reflective lint out of it.

Geez, and you bad-mouth Canon. The flocking makes it a better lens hood and it is not their fault you are OCD about cleaning it.

Jul 04, 2022 at 09:18 PM
POTOMAN

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon ES-71 vs ES-71 II Lens Hoods: What's the Difference?

Imagemaster wrote:
Geez, and you bad-mouth Canon. The flocking makes it a better lens hood and it is not their fault you are OCD about cleaning it.

I don't think I'm the the first one to ever "bad-mouth" Canon as you put it.

It does make sense that a flocked hood would perform better than a flat black painted one.

I never blamed Canon for me being OCD about cleaning their flocked hoods.

At the end of the day I still shoot Canon for a reason.

Jul 04, 2022 at 09:34 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon ES-71 vs ES-71 II Lens Hoods: What's the Difference?

Cool, just go buy a lens hood. It is hardly complicated. Make your own out of cardboard, plastic, or whatever if you want. Donít buy one and just use your hand.

Jul 05, 2022 at 01:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon ES-71 vs ES-71 II Lens Hoods: What's the Difference?

POTOMAN wrote:
... I hate cleaning it as I'm scared I'm going to damage the flocking if I'm too agressive. It is a lint magnet and I'm constantly trying to clean white reflective dust and lint out of it.

I put a piece of masking tape or gaffers tape (not duct tape, too sticky) on the flocked surface, smooth it down (not too hard), and then carefully pull it off. All of the dust and lint comes up with the tape, and none of the flocking (if you do it right). Simply move the piece of tape around to cover the whole surface, and you're done.

Jul 05, 2022 at 06:53 AM
nputtick

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon ES-71 vs ES-71 II Lens Hoods: What's the Difference?

I have a genuine Canon ES71-II hood and it is flocked inside. Itís a simple twist bayonet fit. In my experience the JJC third party hoods are always well made and fit just as well as Canon originals, at about 1/3 the price. I have several, for various EF, EF-S and RF lenses, and all work perfectly. I would prefer not to pay Canonís price for something that really should be included in the box.

Jul 05, 2022 at 09:16 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon ES-71 vs ES-71 II Lens Hoods: What's the Difference?

I can also recommend JJC hoods, and Vello. I use them on about a half-dozen EF-M and EF-S lenses.

Jul 05, 2022 at 09:54 AM
tsangc
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon ES-71 vs ES-71 II Lens Hoods: What's the Difference?

As much as I like saving money, the two hoods I have from third parties (ET-65III for EF100mm f2.0 and a EW-83J for EF17-40mm f4L) have fit issues. One is too loose and the other too tight.

Jul 05, 2022 at 10:23 AM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon ES-71 vs ES-71 II Lens Hoods: What's the Difference?

I just bought both of these cheapies from Amazon last week. I buy these hoods to grind/modify for my water housings but I did just attach both of them to a 50 1.4 and they both fit fine. I have the canon version ES-71II and the only difference is the canon has the felt. You are fine with either of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GVG3GNX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KNV6J3T?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Jul 05, 2022 at 10:44 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon ES-71 vs ES-71 II Lens Hoods: What's the Difference?

POTOMAN wrote:
... I hate cleaning it as I'm scared I'm going to damage the flocking if I'm too agressive. It is a lint magnet and I'm constantly trying to clean white reflective dust and lint out of it.

jcolwell wrote:
I put a piece of masking tape or gaffers tape (not duct tape, too sticky) on the flocked surface, smooth it down (not too hard), and then carefully pull it off. All of the dust and lint comes up with the tape, and none of the flocking (if you do it right). Simply move the piece of tape around to cover the whole surface, and you're done.

Many households have lint rollers. If it's too large in diameter to fit inside the hood, just peel a fresh sheet off the roll... For my 35/2 IS I didn't want to pay the Canon premium for the not-included hood, so bought a 3rd party option off either Amazon or B&H. It fits fine, even has the locking feature of Canon's newer hood designs, and has't yet popped off and been lost. Only minor complaint might be that the interior is painted black, but it's not overly matte.

Back a while ago, probably on the Alt board, there were discussions about adapting lenses on the early mirrorless cameras. Some of the lens adapters had poor internal stray reflection control. One of the solutions was to buy sheets of flocking and glue it in place. Along this line, this might be interesting: https://www.ko-pro.black/lensfood/ (yes, that's a typo in the link address, but probably because it's a Japan-based site). They don't offer a pre-cut option for the ES-71, but you could just buy their sheets and do it yourself: https://www.ko-pro.black/product/fs-sp/. They also sell what they claim is the world's blackest commercially available paint, but looks like there are a few customs hoops to jump through to import it to the US. It appears they only ship with FedEx, which starts at around $40 to the US. Unfortunately they don't offer a less expensive EMS shipping option...

Therefore any of the solutions from this vendor will result in the price being higher than just buying the Canon ES-71 II.

Here's an $8 option with free shipping for a 10x10cm (4x4") sheet of flocking: https://araxfoto.com/accessories/flock/. That said, they're Ukraine (Kiev) based, so maybe check if they're still in operation...

Jul 05, 2022 at 10:47 AM
POTOMAN

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon ES-71 vs ES-71 II Lens Hoods: What's the Difference?

jcolwell wrote:

---------------------------------------------
rscheffler wrote:
Many households have lint rollers. If it's too large in diameter to fit inside the hood, just peel a fresh sheet off the roll...

The lint roller/tape idea has crossed my mind but my 85L II was my first hood that was flocked. I didn't want to risk damaging such a stupidly expensive item. Bought it new many years ago and it was my first "expensive" gear purchase. Glad I now know how to clean it. Was super paranoid owning and handling that thing, it was a very big purchase for me.

Edited on Jul 05, 2022 at 05:36 PM · View previous versions

Jul 05, 2022 at 05:29 PM
POTOMAN

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon ES-71 vs ES-71 II Lens Hoods: What's the Difference?

nputtick wrote:
In my experience the JJC third party hoods are always well made and fit just as well as Canon originals, at about 1/3 the price. I have several, for various EF, EF-S and RF lenses, and all work perfectly. I would prefer not to pay Canonís price for something that really should be included in the box.

jcolwell wrote:
I can also recommend JJC hoods, and Vello. I use them on about a half-dozen EF-M and EF-S lenses.

artsupreme wrote:
I just bought both of these cheapies from Amazon last week. I buy these hoods to grind/modify for my water housings but I did just attach both of them to a 50 1.4 and they both fit fine. I have the canon version ES-71II and the only difference is the canon has the felt. You are fine with either of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GVG3GNX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KNV6J3T?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

rscheffler wrote:
For my 35/2 IS I didn't want to pay the Canon premium for the not-included hood, so bought a 3rd party option off either Amazon or B&H. It fits fine, even has the locking feature of Canon's newer hood designs, and has't yet popped off and been lost. Only minor complaint might be that the interior is painted black, but it's not overly matte.

Glad there are some aftermarket hoods such as JJC and Vello that are vetted by some members, good to know we have cheaper options that work. I'm not planning on buying it new from Canon (nor would I ever), so I'm not too concered with whatever their ridiculous MSRP might be for the hood.

rsheffler, can you elaborate on this newer Canon hood locking feature? Not sure I know what it is.

Edited on Jul 05, 2022 at 05:41 PM · View previous versions

Jul 05, 2022 at 05:35 PM
POTOMAN

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon ES-71 vs ES-71 II Lens Hoods: What's the Difference?

tsangc wrote:
As much as I like saving money, the two hoods I have from third parties (ET-65III for EF100mm f2.0 and a EW-83J for EF17-40mm f4L) have fit issues. One is too loose and the other too tight.

Would you happen to know what brands they are? Or were they even branded at all?

Jul 05, 2022 at 05:38 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon ES-71 vs ES-71 II Lens Hoods: What's the Difference?

I've bought many JJC hood over the years: 85% of Canon quality at 25% of Canon's price. I usually need to use fine sandpaper (1000 grit+) to smooth the hood's mount surface for an easy fit. Otherwise they tend to go on hard and gritty.

Jul 05, 2022 at 07:34 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password