New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Using bulb function on R5 for fireworks

sonamair
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Using bulb function on R5 for fireworks

Any way to see a developing exposure while taking the picture?
Just being greedy
But thought I would ask

Jul 04, 2022 at 12:04 AM
jedibrain
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Using bulb function on R5 for fireworks

Don't think so. I usually take a few test shots to get dialed in.

Brian

Jul 04, 2022 at 12:30 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Using bulb function on R5 for fireworks

It’s not hard….just do some testing and adjust settings you go. I never used bulb, I would go all manual including ISO. There also plenty of videos on shooting fireworks. Just make sure you have a solid stiff tripod.

Jul 04, 2022 at 01:02 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Using bulb function on R5 for fireworks

Kennebunkport, Maine

Jul 04, 2022 at 01:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JohnSil
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Using bulb function on R5 for fireworks

sonamair wrote:
Any way to see a developing exposure while taking the picture?
Just being greedy
But thought I would ask

Sonamair, I've shot lots of fireworks. No you don't want to see the developing exposure. You don't EVEN wanna look at your LED. The second you take your eyes off the fireworks you'll miss the fireworks!
First, shooting fireworks is a crap shoot. You just never know what's gonna be up in the air at any given time, or when or what goes next. For that reason you always shoot BULB, never shoot on manual. On manual you loose control of the blast you're trying to shoot. For example, you listen for the poof and watch the smoke trails, at what you predict is the right time, you open the shutter. If you get a really nice firework you close it or you run the risk of ruining it with one of those crappy things that crackle and zig zag all over the place. If there are lots going up at the same time, like a finale, you might wanna open and close every 2 seconds, too many blasts doesn't look good but like I said it's a crap shoot. My average exposure seems to be 2-6 seconds, ISO 100, f8-16, depends on the ambient light I try to be close for impact and you can hear and see where they are going. Also at f8 and wider you risk blowing out much of the central blast and you can't correct that. How wide you shoot depends on how close or how far you are and how much sky you wanna take in.
Also turn off ALL auto functions, especially noise reduction. Some noise reduction can take 30 seconds to process a long exposure and you can't shoot again till it finishes processing. Also most fireworks start at about 9:30 so it's not completely dark yet. Keep that in mind for your test shots. Sometimes you can get some really nice blue hour at the start.
If you're gonna be in a crowd you can take a step stool. And don't forget a good tripod! My favorite shots are what I call Environmental Fireworks. They tell a bigger and more complete story . See my examples below.
Hope you get some great shots!
John

London Olympics Opening Ceremony Torch Arrival

Local Fireworks Bulb, f8, iso 100, 21mm

Local Fireworks

Jul 04, 2022 at 02:08 AM
sonamair
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Using bulb function on R5 for fireworks

Thank you for the hugely helpful posts

Jul 04, 2022 at 11:46 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Using bulb function on R5 for fireworks

You can shoot hh, I don't remember the specifics but I'll probably just shoot 1600 if I go and go from there. As has already been mentioned some turn out some don't. I'll probably shoot raw in case something blows out

You might turn off Long exposure noise reductionas that requires a second exposure

Jul 04, 2022 at 12:07 PM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Using bulb function on R5 for fireworks

Always bulb mode for me. I have a wired remote I can trigger while I watch the show. I'm usually not lucky enough to have much foreground interest (unless you count street lights or trees) but it definitely adds interest when you get it.

6.4s, f/11, ISO 400

8 sec, f/11, ISO 200

Jul 04, 2022 at 12:10 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password