Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · 5D Focusing Screen Scratched, Am I Screwed?

POTOMAN

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D Focusing Screen Scratched, Am I Screwed?

After a long hiatus from photography I bought myself a clean 5D about 5 years ago. I then proceeded to do absolutely nothing with it and thus had a continued hiatus from photography.

Just last week I bought myself an Canon EF 50mm 1.4 lens, 2 brand new old stock genuine Canon BP-514 batteries, and a genuine sealed new old stock Sandisk 16GB Extreme Pro CF card (to match the other one I purchased an eternity ago).

Yesterday, I also purchased a Really Right Stuff universal plate so I can use a QD system when camera is strapped. Was about to purchase the rest of strap parts and an ND filter for the 50 today.

Today, I dropped the 5D on my living room carpet and noticed some dust/debris had shifted on the focusing screen.

I decided to remove it to blow it off, and upon clipping the assembly closed I slipped my plastic tool and marred the focusing screen quite badly.

Annoyed as I was, I figured I'll buy a new focusing screen and be on my way, as I've already "invested" this last little chunk of money into finally getting my 5D "going" after all these years.

I have not been able to find the factory Ee-A focusing screen anywhere. Or any other 5D focusing screen for that matter.

Do I have a paperweight? Are there any parts stores that may be able to scavenge the part from another 5D? Or perhaps some shop that may have stock of the Ee-A focusing screen (Canon part #CY3-1599)?

I REALLY don't want to move onto a 5D2/5D3/5D4 at this time as I just wanted a cheap full frame DSLR to shoot SOOC jpegs (maybe some raw). I was really getting tired of the crappy quality of point and shoots and camera phones. Have no desire to go mirrorless and have some decent EF glass for now.

I also feel like the bare basic functionality of the 5D would have allowed me to continue learning about photography from where I left off probably a decade ago. The plan is to eventually upgrade to a 5D3 and 50L 1.2 (and upgrade no further). But that is not something I can afford to do anytime soon. Hence the current "ghetto" 5D and 50mm 1.4 plan I concocted.

Yes, the mark on the screen is big enough to be rather annoying when used.

Backstory so you guys know why I'm wasting my time with this 17 year old 5D. It's sort of sentimental, was my dream camera as a kid.

Edited on Jul 04, 2022 at 06:04 AM · View previous versions

Jul 03, 2022 at 03:52 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D Focusing Screen Scratched, Am I Screwed?

Should be able to get a used one Googled it recently after a different thread. Seemed to be different ones available.

Jul 03, 2022 at 04:00 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D Focusing Screen Scratched, Am I Screwed?

I'd probably go with the Ee-s if you have 1.4 but here's Ee-d. Probably lots on ebay

https://www.samys.com/p/Pre-Owned-Accessories-and-Lighting//Canon-Ee-D-Focusing-Screen-for-EOS-5D---Pre-Owned/244145.html

Jul 03, 2022 at 04:06 PM
POTOMAN

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D Focusing Screen Scratched, Am I Screwed?

AmbientMike wrote:
Should be able to get a used one Googled it recently after a different thread. Seemed to be different ones available.

Where can I get a used one? I've Googled it quite a bit wth no success. Unfortunately, your Google results are not the same as mine. Google tailors it's results to each user.

Jul 03, 2022 at 04:06 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D Focusing Screen Scratched, Am I Screwed?

I can't find anything from Canon on the 5DC. Is that an astro model?

I agree with buying a fine-condition copy of any hard-to-find obsolete product rather than spending a lot of time repairing a damaged one.

EBH

Jul 03, 2022 at 04:08 PM
POTOMAN

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D Focusing Screen Scratched, Am I Screwed?

AmbientMike wrote:
I'd probably go with the Ee-s if you have 1.4 but here's Ee-d. Probably lots on ebay

https://www.samys.com/p/Pre-Owned-Accessories-and-Lighting//Canon-Ee-D-Focusing-Screen-for-EOS-5D---Pre-Owned/244145.html

Unfortunately that is an Ee-D with the grid, I need the standard Ee-A. I have searched ebay and found nothing, maybe I'm searching wrong?

Question regarding the Ee-S though. Yes, I have a 50mm 1.4 and plan to use that and will replace it with a 50mm 1.2 in the future. I do not manual focus however. I always use autofocus (centre spot and recompose). Is there any benefit to the Ee-s when only using autofocus? I know it will dim the viewfinder, which I'm not a fan of.

I actually have a brand new one (Ee-S) I bought back when I bought the 5DC 5 years ago. I then re-read about it and realized it was mainly for manual focusing and I thought I bought it in error. It's still in the box.

---------------------------------------------

EB-1 wrote:
I can't find anything from Canon on the 5DC. Is that an astro model?

I agree with buying a fine-condition copy of any hard-to-find obsolete product rather than spending a lot of time repairing a damaged one.

EBH

5DC is an unofficial name, it stands for 5D classic, sometimes posted as 5Dc. Basically a 5D "Mark I", the first 5D.

Not really a lot of time/money. All the camera needed was new batteries from sitting and then I went ahead and damaged the focusing screen. It's really a straight forward and cheap part to replace. Camera is like new and fuctions fine otherwise. If it needed serious repair I wouldn't put any money into it. Problem is I can't seem to find the focusing screen anywhere.

Edited on Jul 04, 2022 at 05:12 AM · View previous versions

Jul 03, 2022 at 04:16 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D Focusing Screen Scratched, Am I Screwed?

It came out as a 5D and is still a 5D today. Don’t know why some like calling it a 5D Classic. Calling it a 5DC is ridiculous.

Anyway if you are really keen on owning that vintage camera, go buy another one. There are always good see ones that come up for a couple of hundred dollars.

Jul 03, 2022 at 08:36 PM
jedibrain
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D Focusing Screen Scratched, Am I Screwed?

You might as well try the other focus screen you have and see how it goes. You got nothing to lose.

You may also search for a 5D that is being sold for parts on eBay and salvage the screen from it.

Brian

Jul 03, 2022 at 08:45 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D Focusing Screen Scratched, Am I Screwed?

POTOMAN wrote:
Unfortunately that is an Ee-D with the grid, I need the standard Ee-S. I have searched ebay and found nothing, maybe I'm searching wrong?

Question regarding the Ee-S though. Yes, I have a 50mm 1.4 and plan to use that and will replace it with a 50mm 1.2 in the future. I do not manual focus however. I always use autofocus (centre spot and recompose). Is there any benefit to the Ee-s when only using autofocus? I know it will dim the viewfinder, which I'm not a fan of.

I actually have a brand new one (Ee-S) I bought back when I
...Show more

I replaced the 5D screen on the 5D I had years ago using a split image / microprism for mf. I looked and think I found the one it had in it before I believe. If you shoot me your address via pm I'll try to get it out.

I can't guarantee the condition, didn't see issues though. Do they have any markings to identify on the screen?

Jul 03, 2022 at 10:24 PM
POTOMAN

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D Focusing Screen Scratched, Am I Screwed?

Imagemaster wrote:
It came out as a 5D and is still a 5D today. Don’t know why some like calling it a 5D Classic. Calling it a 5DC is ridiculous

I hate it as much as the next guy, my observations from other forums is that if you don't specify that it's a "classic"/Mark 1, etc, you just get bombarded with demanding questions as to which 5D it is. Many on these "other" forums seem to not know there was a Mark 1 5D :S.

It appears as though that this forum is "different" than the others to put it kindly, a way in which I greatly prefer. I think that common sense will prevail here and that 5DC/5Dc/5D1 nomenclature will not be necessary going forward.

Edited on Jul 04, 2022 at 06:05 AM · View previous versions

Jul 04, 2022 at 05:40 AM
POTOMAN

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D Focusing Screen Scratched, Am I Screwed?

jedibrain wrote:
You might as well try the other focus screen you have and see how it goes. You got nothing to lose.

You may also search for a 5D that is being sold for parts on eBay and salvage the screen from it.

Brian

The focusing screen/superimposed display/pentaprism has a bit too much dust/debris for me to try another focusing screen in there right now at the fear of also damaging another but this time with the debris. I'm probably OCDing at this point I know. Anyhow I'm going to have the camera professionally cleaned beforehand to avoid any further potential focusing screen damage.

I don't think it make sense financially to buy a 5D for parts on ebay, looks like (in my opinion) even the "parts" ones are going for way too much money. No guarentee they'll have a focusing screen in good condition either.

Edited on Jul 04, 2022 at 06:19 AM · View previous versions

Jul 04, 2022 at 05:52 AM
John Daniel
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D Focusing Screen Scratched, Am I Screwed?

I think I still have some Ee screens that I barely used. I will check today.

JD

Jul 04, 2022 at 06:00 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D Focusing Screen Scratched, Am I Screwed?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125163237989

Jul 04, 2022 at 06:41 AM
POTOMAN

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D Focusing Screen Scratched, Am I Screwed?

AmbientMike wrote:
I replaced the 5D screen on the 5D I had years ago using a split image / microprism for mf. I looked and think I found the one it had in it before I believe. If you shoot me your address via pm I'll try to get it out.

I can't guarantee the condition, didn't see issues though. Do they have any markings to identify on the screen?

I just checked mine to see if it had any markings, nothing on it at all. In contrast, the optional "manual focus" Ee-S focusing screen that I do have has an "S" on the little tab you're supposed to grab it by, if that's of any help. At this point though, I'll take what I can get to keep this camera going. I'll take you up on that offer, appreciate it.

Jul 04, 2022 at 08:06 AM
POTOMAN

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5D Focusing Screen Scratched, Am I Screwed?

AmbientMike wrote:

Tried to PM you but it appears I need 25 posts before I can do so :S. You'll be receiving a PM from me in the very near future! I guess I have lots of productive forum browsing to do here today. Or perhaps I'll look into buying a forum membership...

Jul 04, 2022 at 08:10 AM
POTOMAN

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5D Focusing Screen Scratched, Am I Screwed?

John Daniel wrote:
I think I still have some Ee screens that I barely used. I will check today.

JD

Appreciate it very much!

Jul 04, 2022 at 08:14 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5D Focusing Screen Scratched, Am I Screwed?

etc., etc., etc.

Jul 04, 2022 at 10:41 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.